Cancel Culture Victims

The whole article is a nice strawman. There’s a difference between nuclear families and the broken families resulting from the democratization of divorce, out-of-wedlock pregnancies and runaway fathers. If anything the author should be advocating for more nuclear family. But good luck saying that legalizing divorce was a mistake.

There’s also the fallacy that family is a fundamentally good idea, where in fact it’s only as good as its members are. I’d say about half the people out there would be repulsed by the idea of “bringing back the big tables.”

1 Like

I won’t defend runaway fathers.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancy is fine so long as the father accepts his responsibilities after the fact. If he doesn’t, marriage doesn’t mean shit anyway.

Divorce can often be the lesser evil. Many marriages are so awful they ought to be aborted.

2 Likes

Ok, this is pretty ridiculous. Who thought this was a good idea or appropriate?

1 Like

the same person who probably just lost their marketing/media job

I just found out a black trainer made this workout :joy:

He says slavery was hard and so is this :joy:

so, does he get a pass, or get called Uncle Tom?
so confusing nowadays

2 Likes

He gets a pass if the workout is hard. It does look pretty difficult to me :laughing:

1 Like

He was a slave?

First Amendment pushback:

2 Likes

Gal Gadot, cancelled

How dare a white woman of Greek descent be cast as a white woman of Greek descent.

5 Likes

as many believe an Arab or dark-skinned actor would have been a better fit for the role.

WTF? Have any of these people ever met an Egyptian? Many of them look pretty much like … uh, Gal Gadot. At least in terms of skin tone. The upper classes tend to be “whiter”, and I suspect that’s been true for many thousands of years.

I’m guessing the problem here is the fact that she’s Israeli.

I suspect that too. Hiding their anti semetism with wokeness.

I’d buy the criticism of it being a bit looksist. Cleopatra was not physically attractive. Later coins showed her real appearance in order to deter pretenders

How can you know this?

I know women whose photographs fail to capture their attractiveness, at least in my opinion. Jean Harlow comes to mind.

1 Like

Of course I can’t know for sure, but it’s generally accepted by most historians.

[quote=“BiggusDickus, post:1102, topic:192952”]

It seems more likely to me that her portrait-painters were just not very good artists, or at least not good at realistic portrayals. The article you linked to doesn’t make a particularly strong case that she was plain and ordinary.

As far as Gal Gadot is concerned, I reckon the Egyptians still haven’t forgotten 1967. I suppose it’s a bit like an American actor portraying Claus von Stauffenberg. :whistle: