Cancel Culture Victims

I think this will prove that’s not true :smile:

1 Like

I was always proud of being a citizen of a country founded by a drunk on a railway swindle.

They have enough of their own.

1 Like

In a pig’s eye.

Makes a good point (She did dress up in Nazi regalia before though) :

1 Like

Love is hate, and hate is love.

Only indifference is pure.

1 Like

You have learned well, young grasshopper.

2 Likes

Bad raccoons, BAD! Cancel them!

2 Likes

Cancel at a school and having a go at her interracial relationship - no surprise:

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s the way it is now? Instead of rebutting research findings people just call for it not to be published because they don’t like the results. We might as well do away with peer review as it won’t be needed in future.

2 Likes

I see poor Tucker Carlson is getting cancelled- that is what conservatives call it when somebody changes the channel, yes?

1 Like

Cancel McDonald’s for cultural appropriation!

Geez! People need to get a life!

Shouldn’t they already be in trouble for the Italian Pesto Chicken Sandwich?

1 Like

Yep- the Million Moms are all in a tizzy and demanding a boycott of Oreos because they made rainbow-colored cookies.
They’re also demanding a boycott of Hallmark Channel because they show actual gay people in their Christmas movies.

1 Like

These Million Moms need to get a life, too. Geez!

One Million Moms Now Threatening To Boycott Oreo Over Ad Daring To Show Queer Kids With ‘Proud Parents’ (johnscreekpost.com)

https://www.bu.edu/writingprogram/journal/past-issues/issue-7/terhune/

It was only a matter of time.

From the Instructor
In our capstone essay for WR 150: “Aesthetic Constructions of Childhood,” students were asked to produce a researched academic argument about any aspect related to children’s picture books. With a chance rereading of Curious George , Maya framed her approach to this essay through careful and critical research. One of the key strengths of Maya’s remarkable essay is that she understood the scholarship so intimately that she was able not merely to challenge it, but actually to further it. Her work of contributing to the conversation about racism in Curious George is not only intellectually eye-opening but also gracefully executed. With this essay, Maya crafted a nuanced argument, drawing on the picture book’s history and scholarship, contributing her voice as a certain little monkey’s popularity continues to grow well beyond the confines of that first picture book.
— ANNA PANSZCZYK

From the Writer
Revisiting Curious George was shocking and horrifying. When I had originally decided to examine the childhood classic, I was surprised by the story’s upfront and unapologetic allusion to the transatlantic slave trade. This had not come to mind when I, or the many others I talked to, thought of the inquisitive, silly monkey with his friend, The Man with the Yellow Hat. However, this made sense when understood as a common symptom of systematic racism—we are conditioned to uphold societal norms while our ideas about the world are malleable. Witnessing the power dynamics between the socially-deemed “subordinate” and “dominant” in a positive manner primes us to accept and understand oppression as normal and healthy. Because of the story’s relation to race, the unwavering loyalty of a captive from Africa to a profit-seeking white male proves particularly disturbing. What had scared me most as I wrote about the series was that I had never once as a child thought to question if George and The Man’s relationship was wrong, much less why it was, and those who had encouraged me to read about this curious monkey had not either. Although it is appalling to think of the gruesome, racist writings that were once popular, it is more difficult to realize that in a society so many consider “post-racial,” we continue to let children’s literature with such blatantly positive references to slavery and racism slip through the cracks.
This paper is a way for me to help myself and others process how our ideas regarding childhood and innocence as well as how our ability to ignore racism as a society has allowed Curious George to remain so popular; it is still considered a beloved classic while it maintains its association with a culture of oppression and a systematic hatred of black people. It is a way for me to explain how all these years later, this monkey transforms from a carefree, hilarious character to a victim of the oppression and dehumanization all people of color still face nearly 75 years later.
MAYA TERHUNE is a sophomore in Boston University’s College of Arts and Sciences intending to major in public policy and education. She was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY with three cats, the best bagels, and not a whole lot of space. She’d like to give a special thanks to Dr. Anna Panszczyk and Professor Michael Degener for their encouragement, guidance, and critique in helping her develop her writing in this past year. Additionally, she profusely thanks Elena Terhune, Nina Terhune, and Anna Schierenbeck for their continued support, ever-generous nights of editing and advice, and own writings and ideas which have inspired her to become a better writer and a better person.

4 Likes

Next up…Babar the Elephant! Then of course Tintin. Oh yeah and Dr. Doolittle.

3 Likes