Cancel Culture Victims

Joke’s on them, by then it might be liquidated anyway.

“The PGA of America Board of Directors voted tonight to exercise the right to terminate the agreement to play the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster.” — Jim Richerson, PGA of America President

Purging a person’s likeness - trying to pretend they never existed - because they committed the crime of wrongthink? Yeah.

It isn’t like anyone tore his face off, or even banned it from the Internet. A private business does not want to seem to support a controversial viewpoint. You could argue that it is virtue signaling, but cries that his existence is being invalidated ring kinda hyperbolic

1 Like

Uh… that’s quite a stretch of a description of what’s going on here. Are you familiar with what a twitch emote is?

I know it’s just one website and they’re not doing anything to him directly (well I assume he’s been banned too if he’s on it) but it’s the principle of it - the idea that we need to prevent people from seeing this guys face or knowing he exists because apparently just seeing him is somehow going to turn the 13 year olds using it into white nationalist insurgents. And like usual the justification - that he’s encouraging violence - is laughable.
It’s showing that these companies are no longer content in just providing an online service and selling your data and attention for profit; controlled by people sympathetic to certain interests and having the resources and means to do so, are now delving into attempted thought control and social engineering. There’s no significant pushback and they’re getting more confidence to remove all hints of non-kosher opinion via increasingly flimsy justification, similarly demonstrated by the all the examples contained in the 1124 posts above.

3 Likes

OK, groovy. I’m sorry I’ve been on the political threads too much and it is like doing social media crack

You’re right, but it is because you are going so far overboard. I just see it as a simpler answer that they don’t owe him anything and they don’t want to be associated with his values, symbolically (was it violence?) or practically (he sounds stupid).

I would say stupid is still a reasonable justification that works just fine. He is stupid and they choose not be associated with stupid. Sounds like a smart decision to me.

I agree that encouraging violence is a laughable one for video games. I :heart: violent video games.

Yes, most businesses are in the business of making money

so, people. still not machines, this is good

People are going to give them shit about the choice whether they make it or not, so they made the easy choice. The jump from that to thought control and social engineering is a bit paranoid and unrealistic, you would really need to give me much more than a flimsy justification. Who is doing this, the CIA or the dreaded deep state? How are they doing it, by choosing to discard some tool that has become troublesome?

who are ‘they’ exactly?

I totally admit cancel culture is a real and unfortunate thing. At the same time to say that this is

is such an overstatement as to make yourself into the very caricature that you are raging against

edit: it is true there’s a f*ing meme for everything

second edit: first runner up

Let the healing began :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I’m sorta with Forbes on this one. If you hire known liars Forbes (every critical thinker, really) will have to assume that you are OK with lies, and if you are OK with the lies and the known liars are OK with lies then how could any responsible audience give the benefit of the doubt.

But my opinion is that you can’t have reconciliation without truth, others might have alternative facts.

There are cancel culture victims, but there are also children crying wolf. It used to be that the children crying wolf were the progressive left, now it seems the Trumpist right has gone full circle…

#cancelforbes

2 Likes

Yep, redemption can be a thing for anyone, but there should be no free passes for anyone who isn’t willing to be accountable for their behavior.

1 Like

If the U.S. decides now that it’s not OK with lies half of Washington will be out of work for good.

What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception

– former White House press secretary Scott McClellan

https://www.amazon.com/What-Happened-Scott-McClellan-audiobook/dp/B001AMIGJY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2S6YOZCKD5EV5&dchild=1&keywords=what+happened+scott+mcclellan&qid=1610505729&sprefix=what+happened+scott%2Caps%2C326&sr=8-1

3 Likes

Let us all know when you actually do something.

2 Likes

Not sure what this is referring to?

Self reflection is difficult.

Why don’t you just say what you mean? This is boring.

I’ll reiterate, people can redeem themselves if they acknowledge their past actions.

But not sure why anyone would be interested in giving free passes to people who don’t learn anything. Yes, self reflection is difficult in some cases, many people will let their egos stand in the way of employment, probably.

Being sanctimonious has a tendency to bite one in the hind quarters. Moving on and getting on with erasing the lines of division that your generation of screen gawkers has become so enamored with, is better for your country. Letting bygones be bygones is an oldy but a goody. I have a feeling you’ll still be eating the bullshit, no matter how much it hurts, so long as someone is telling you how smart you are. Good luck, Mups. Your efforts have not been in vain but, they are no longer needed.

2 Likes

I have a feeling you’ll still be eating the bullshit, no matter how much it hurts, so long as someone is telling you how smart you are. Good luck, Mups. Your efforts have not been in vain but, they are no longer needed.

That’s an interesting story, but is there something you want to discuss? I’ve been polite in asking, but you seem bent on attack. At least I offered, I hope you heal.

2 posts were split to a new topic: From cancel culture

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: From cancel culture

I certainly think any Trump flack who makes a public apology for repeatedly lying during the last four years should be eligible for consideration for hiring.
It’s Truth and Reconciliation. You don’t get to skip the Truth part.

2 Likes

On the highway to redemption, one must stop at the Humble Pie truck stop if one wishes to see their journey to completion.

-Confucius Jr.