... cheap shipping overseas

After dreading it for weeks, I finally went to the Chunghua post office site to check international shipping rates. They say an international parcel post of 20kg costs over 2300NT for surface mail to the US.

My boyfriend and I are shipping books. Lots of books. And CDs/DVDs. Basically, when we moved across town last September, books and CDs took up over a dozen boxes. Now, it’s certain that we’re moving away in August, so we’re looking to move a comparable amount, if not more.

It’s not really an option to leave most of this stuff behind.

Does anyone have suggestions for better prices on international shipping for this kind of stuff? Time isn’t an issue. We can wait half a year for this stuff to get slowboated over. But money is an issue.

Thanks in advance.

You have clearly lost all connection with reality. The post office is a government subsidy, other companies actually want to make a profit.

Hmm. That was really helpful. Next suggestion?

The Post Office

[quote=“menghsindy”]After dreading it for weeks, I finally went to the Chunghua post office site to check international shipping rates. They say an international parcel post of 20kg costs over 2300NT for surface mail to the US.

[/quote]

That rate sounds pretty reasonable - 20kg is pretty heavy for a postage item. It would take quite a few books and DVDs to make up 20kg. I have the same problem. Going home in a few months, and need to ship a few things too. I also need to ship some books/dvds/cds, as well as an electric drumkit (pretty small and light when packed up, but valuable, and I really don’t want it damaged). Does anyone have any experiences with the reliability of the local Post Office in shipping large parcels?

Okay, guess that’s the best I can do then. 20kg is a pretty sizeable package, I just thought rates would be about three-quarters of that, at least going the other way.

I’m going to send the first load out next week so we’ll see…