China sentences Canadian to death

because of the huawei arrest in canada. not that china hasn’t given the death penalty for foreigners selling drugs before but lets not forget what this is about.

1 Like

From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/world/asia/china-canada-schellenberg-retrial.html

1 Like

Ok phew :sweat_smile: Damn I thought that there had been a series of two wars with tens of thousands dead and an economic collapse! So the Chinese aren’t doing the ‘same thing’ after all. Thanks for clearing that up

You’re welcome.

The Opium Wars weren’t solely about opium. Opium was widely accepted in the UK, even by Royalty. The Qing made it illegal. You could say the wars were the result of a cultural misunderstanding.

Sure, I believe the British had quite a few of such crossed wires.
The ones in white are the ones that were never invaded culturally misunderstood by the British army :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s incredible. Sometimes you need to see something visually to fully appreciate it.

Do you know, at the height of the British Empire fewer British soldiers were in operation than the UK has now? Basically, around 45,000 troops dominated a third of the planet. Obviously they achieved it Roman Empire style using foreign troops and divide and rule.

Quite an astonishing achievement.

Except that they’re selling the drugs. That’s the same thing. Kind of ironic!

The British invaded Japan? We were good, but not that good.

This map doesn’t seem right. The kingdom of Thailand was never invaded or colonized by the British or other colonial powers. The Thai are extremely proud of this. They are the only SE Asian country to be able to be bad ass enough colonial powers left them alone and said they were “neutral” territory to save face.

I’m not quite sure what the term “invasion” means. Supposedly there are only 22 countries Great Britain has never invaded. But does that include occupied? I suppose fat, tattooed Brits are kind of occupying Thailand.

1 Like

I’ve found where the map comes from:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

It includes British pirates as an invasion.

I don’t think the opium wars counted as an invasion or colonialism. More like they made them do certain things like open ports and lose some territory. Even the Chinese couldn’t invade China themselves, too vast. Mongolia was also too vast with many splits and some were controlled by the Qing. Korea was also never invaded being protected by japan and China at times. The Ottoman Empire? Really? Persia? Afghans didn’t get invaded either I don’t think.

1 Like

Arrr me hearties! For the record I was referring to 'cultural missunderstandings" rather than “invasions” per se

Even the writer admits there’s no historical proof of invasions of Mongolia but just puts it because it must of happened…

Are we talking about pirates on boats? Seeing how most of these countries probably didn’t even have a navy I don’t really think it’s a good map. I think 19th century British navy could still wreck some of these countries lol.

The British did bomb Bangkok in WW2. Again, depends what you call an invasion

I think it includes a lot of places east India trading company used and not like pirates that hunt for booty.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. The Americans bombed Taipei, but they did put boots on the ground afterwards. Even that wasn’t really an invasion, though.

EDIT: it appears that British and Indian troops occupied Bangkok for a year or so after WW2. Does that count as an invasion of Thailand?

Go have gots to be kidding brah

1 Like

Depends on how you define “they” and “selling drugs”. Is it like HBO the wire, or Pfizer phramaceuticals, or head shop bath salts, or 18th - 19th century opium. What actors are buying, and selling, and what kind of social relations are involved. etc.