China surrounding Taiwan now...Is this for real?

寶貴意見 :grinning:

I’ve always thought about this regarding foreigners buying real estate here. I mean, I want to buy, but if China ever comes in they will likely boot us out and just take the property. Taiwanese would likely be allowed to keep what they have.

I think the difference is the people that want to unify have a soft spot for being Chinese and being originally and genetically from China, it’s not that they love the CCP.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Chinese on the mainland had been itching to do something to take Taiwan before the Trump presidency ends at the end of the year (now quite likely). That doesn’t change the fact that the cost in human lives and the impact on Chinese and global economy would be horrendous.

Yeah, that’s why I put our condo in my wife’s name

1 Like

Kind of early to make that statement. HK might not be finished yet.

We do understand this. What I’m saying is that I don’t see it happening. HK was possible because China actually controlled part of it already and it’s geography. They also have a lot of Chinese who support the party.

You’re assuming the CCP will last long enough to play the long game in Taiwan. With the virus and the trade war, things aren’t looking good for the Chinese economy. If anything, Taiwan is drawing further away from China so I don’t buy your argument. It’s possible, but it’ll take a lot longer and I don’t see it happening under Xi. Maybe if they try a different kinder approach

I get that it’s exciting to imagine invasion situations, but I read another invasion story almost weekly, it’s tiring

2 Likes

they might tighten their rhetoric towards taiwan but i don’t think the ccp feels they missed an opportunity once trump is gone.

xi’s patience shrinked considerably over the last few years but i think he’s willing to wait another few months or years to make another bold move…

when hk was handed over to china we talked about decades, in the 00’s we talked about years, remember there were pro-democracy demonstrations then…, and now it looks like everything is possible in months or even weeks.

This never happened when Obama was running the US. The fiction that Republicans are good for Taiwan unraveling in real time.

How naive were the deep greens to ever trust this shit?

1 Like

I would not call it naivete at all…I think they are doing the best they can with what they have. Though Trump might be the dumbest in the room, he is paradoxically representing the most powerful military on earth. The US is (though you can argue its star is fading) still the true global hegemon. I am guessing, assuming Biden wins, a pivot to support him will be the play. What other choice is there in this environment?

The choice Taiwan had was to make a better choice of advisors and not listen to Republicans.

From the same article:

Asked which political party they supported, 36.8 percent said the Democratic Progressive Party — the highest since the center began the surveys — while 15.8 percent said the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) — the lowest since the start of the center’s surveys.

Not everything is about the U.S.

1 Like

Do you think China gains in power and influence to this degree under a Dem president instead of Trump? No way. He was a gift to China.

Republicans are, like it or not, the face of the US government right now. This is an unavoidable fact that simply has to be baked in to the calculus.

Give it a few months. Closed for repairs.

1 Like

I think you’ve missed the point where the democracy that is Taiwan has been governed by a political party that the Chinese don’t like. Coincidence that the terms of office have, more or less, been the same as the current U.S. government? You’re playing with your Legos wrong.

Now China is taking over a national park in Butan. And is pushing it’s interest in Russian land. Now that is going to be a hoot .

Overstretched? Really desperate. And a cornered animal is more dangerous.

1 Like

That seems far more.likely than than them crumnling from the inside. Pulling a hitler and pissing off everyone around you. How great would that be!

4 Likes

Thats what I was mentiining above about the poor education of certain groups. In mandarin they tend to.liken themselves to.chinese when they intend to.say hua ren. Not really recognizing the difference between.nationality and race in their speech, which has real results in the cultural brainwash efficiency over time.