China Uncensored's Alleged FLG links and other Falun Gong Media

Larry Ong
Senior Analyst

Before joining SinoInsider, Larry was a journalist with The Epoch Times from 2009 to 2017. He graduated from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Arts, First Class Honours in History.

1 Like

oooh they are an actual thinktank though and have no official connection

Has there been a show by Chris where he addresses his or the showā€™s relationship with FLG? I mean, if you donā€™t want to be associated with them, I would assume you want to make that clear to everyone. If you donā€™t make that clear, you are more likely to be associated with them or even backed by them. In a personal meeting you might deny something. In public it is way more consequential in one way or another. Maybe they donā€™t want to alienate FLG, but have nothing to do with them. Maybe they are deeply connected, but donā€™t want anyone to know.

Whatever it is, I watched the show in the past, once I learned about the connection, I lost a bit of interest. Anyway, I think Chris is a brave man confronting the mighty CCP like he does.

@hannes

Heā€™s got a good tie game going thereā€¦ :slight_smile:

Efff it, I re-subscribed, Chappelleā€™s dry humor is irresistable. :yum:

2 Likes

The cult of Xi Jinping?

Theyā€™re affiliated with Chinese State Media as much as Chris is affiliated with FLG

BBC is paid by license fee from British citizens and there are supposed checks and balances in place. I donā€™t see how there is any equivaence to being staffed, funded and broadcast by a cult. Everything on the internet points to this and the only thing to see otherwise is a private conversation you had with the guy.

Itā€™s cool. I personally stay away from flg media or anything affiliated to flg. On China Reddit, there is even a flag for anything FLG related, which China Uncensored gets flagged under. The reason for this is that isthat flg is not trustworthy.

Itā€™s entirely up to you what you want to believe, but there are far far better sources on China that are way more reliable and incisive. I still recommend most people to stay clear of FLG stuff, but you do you

Who are? Sinoinsider?

You do understand that there are myriad actual reliable sources that are critical of the CCP right?

newspapers that accept Chinese money.

According to your logic. Since they redistribute Cult of Xi Jinping media then they are affiliated. Therefore they are now Chinese media.

1 Like

Thatā€™s reddit. Unpaid Reddit mods are not the authority on anything.

I donā€™t think that is my logic at all. I donā€™t think I said anything about newspapers. I said there are a host of reliable anti CCP sources.

Cool your choice, people need to at least be told itā€™s cult Media

Apple Daily is 1000 times better than this flg stuff
A host of Taiwanese YouTubeā€™s
Think-tanks
Podcast

Etc etc

I know. I said things about newspapers.

If China uncensored is ā€˜FLG Mediaā€™
Then all newspapers that publish China Watch are state media by your logic.

itā€™s not though. They reference all news sources. It cant be cult media if their sources are not FLG media.

FLG doesnā€™t believe in democracy.

Chris actively advocates for it.

i dont even now what China Watch is. I think my logic is that China Uncensored is produced and broadcasted by FLG and staffed by FLG members and everything on the internet says that apart from a private conversation that you had with the guy.

Then I invite you to to the next Taiwan meetup.

Ask as hard hitting questions as you want.

Listen if I was CU i would cut all ties with FLG , especially in wake of Qanon

I dont care that much, I have better places to get China news

China Uncensored ties to Falun Gong/Dafa has long been a topic of interest for me.

Letā€™s look at the cast of CU outside of Chris:

Anecdotally, I have watched most episodes of CU and there are numerous pro FLG comments sprinkled throughout, but nothing that hits you over the head with the idea that the show is being openly funded by the group. Hmmm. Shadow funded perhaps. Would be of no surprise.

Def a lot of overlap/incestuous trends here though.

Epoch Times and NTD are definitely under the FLG umbrella. I would not doubt at all that Edge of Wonder, which you can liken to Infowars for kids (scam-filled, and quite honestly predatory propaganda) is also being shadow funded by NTD/Epoch and therefore Falun Gong. Their disclaimer on their ā€˜About Usā€™ section of their site screams ā€œdoth protest too muchā€. The ties are definitely present. Prob another example of astroturfing.

I have seen Shen Yun and am sympathetic with FLG, but they honestly do concern me a bit. What they have going on in the Dragon Springs compound in New York is honestly a bit sketch, and Li Hongzhi is an interesting man to say the least.

I am also disgusted with FLG embrace of Trump and Q Anon though, and wonder if their signal boosting of this garbage through their media arms (NTD/Epoch Times/Edge of Wonder) is out of sheer desperation/extortion. Perhaps they see him as their only hopeā€¦but I think a degree of extortion is at play here by Trump admin.

1 Like