Classy campaigning

For those that are Taiwanese impaired, hanji-o-ah is the Romanization of Taiwanese for a yam-taro hybrid. A colloquial term for the offsprings of WSR/BSR.

TI supporters that don’t even speak Taiwanese. Even when CSB has implied that children of foreigners will never “love” Taiwan, they still blindly support TI policy…now that cracks me up… :laughing:

[quote=“ac_dropout”]For those that are Taiwanese impaired, hanji-o-ah is the Romanization of Taiwanese for a yam-taro hybrid. A colloquial term for the offsprings of WSR/BSR.

TI supporters that don’t even speak Taiwanese. Even when CSB has implied that children of foreigners will never “love” Taiwan, they still blindly support TI policy…now that cracks me up… :laughing:[/quote]

And here is what Chen said directly to the nation on National Day three years ago:

You be the judge.

Really CSB knows the proper usage of a semi-colon…

And how does that English translation of his address compare to the comment he made about MYJ father. So everyone in forumosa is a Dai-wang-lang now?

Li gong xiang? Wo tiang-a-bo CSB English. Dai-wan-lang gong Dai-wan-wei. Li m jia?

AC cut with his pants down again.

Resorting to pig Taiwanese to get himself out of trouble.

AC you are not Taiwanese, you are an american in yoiur early 20’s living in his parents basement.

Now get out on the street and find something worthwhile to do.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Really CSB knows the proper usage of a semi-colon…

And how does that English translation of his address compare to the comment he made about MYJ father. So everyone in forumosa is a Dai-wang-lang now?

Li gong xiang? Wo tiang-a-bo CSB English. Dai-wan-lang gong Dai-wan-wei. Li m jia?[/quote]

Well AC there you ahve it. The election should be decided by placement of semi colons.

Of course what the message is you will ignore due to your dismissal of anything that doesn’t suit your trolling.

However you are irrelevant to whatever happens in my home country. Just another whinger moaning about processes and elections you can’t particiapte in.

[quote=“Mr He”]AC cut with his pants down again.

Resorting to pig Taiwanese to get himself out of trouble.

AC you are not Taiwanese, you are an American in yoiur early 20’s living in his parents basement.

Now get out on the street and find something worthwhile to do.[/quote]
My accomplishments are self evident among my peers. I have nothing to do but kick back and enjoy the rest of my life. But thanks for your concern…

Please don’t refer to the Taiwanese as pigs. It is very insulting and doesn’t convey the dignity they request. Hanji (yams) is the proper term.

[quote]Of course what the message is you will ignore due to your dismissal of anything that doesn’t suit your trolling.

However you are irrelevant to whatever happens in my home country. Just another whinger moaning about processes and elections you can’t particiapte in.[/quote]
More like tired of listening to CSB say things that are 180 degrees in opposite direction. Not to mention his English transcripts are sometimes nothing like the stuff he says in Chinese.

Just cash in some reward points for a free 1st class ticket, make sure the registry is correct, show up at the polling station. Ignore the that annoying ticket with a thousand questions on it. Supress anger when I see the picture of the “white knight” my SO had a crush on since junior high. Gently place chop over his face, while imagining a thousand voodoo needle piercing his face. Opps, locate square box to put chop imprint on. Make sure imprint is inside the lines, in case some underpaid civil servant has to recount.

Head to favorite cafe/bar near a college campus. Flirt like a shameless bastard using the same tired lines from a decade ago. Wait for a bullet, a missile, an alien, or a flying pig to disrupt the election. Perhaps all of above will occur if I’m lucky.

Make sure to keep 1st class ticket and passport on body at all times, like in HK, in case things don’t go well. If things go well, extend departure date, pay annoying penalty, deny that you ever saw the “restrictions apply” warning. Do the rounds with relative and in-laws. If very brave or drunk agree to meet SO ex-crush-that-wasn’t-the-“white knight” for a get together.

It’ll be easy…

Don’t forget to enter on your US passport, it would be tragic for you to have to serve your country. However, do recall to flash your Taiwan ID and not your Yankee passport at the polling booth.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Don’t forget to enter on your US passport, it would be tragic for you to have to serve your country. However, do recall to flash your Taiwan ID and not your Yankee passport at the polling booth.

HG[/quote]

AC can’t do that as he doesnt live here. Voting requires that you actually are resident in the country beforehand. He won’t be sent voting papers anyways

Sorry, here is a more complete statement of CSB’s position on ethnic relations at his inaugural relation. Basically the same, but more complete and eloquent.

[quote]It was several hundred years ago that the generations before us traversed the “Black-water Channel” (Taiwan Strait) or crossed the great ocean to find a safe haven in Taiwan. No matter what year they arrived, regardless of their ancestral origins and their mother tongues, even in spite of their different hopes and dreams, all are our forefathers; all have settled down here and together faced a common destiny. Whether indigenous peoples or “new settlers,” expatriates living abroad, foreign spouses or immigrant workers who labor under Taiwan’s blazing sun–all have made a unique contribution to this land and each has become an indispensable member of our “New Taiwan” family.

Various ethnic groups, because of their disparate history and distinctive subcultures, understandably hold divergent views and values. Recognizing such inherent differences, we should embrace one another with more tolerance and understanding. The authoritarian government of the past exploited inequality among different ethnic groups, suppressing native languages and cultures. Nonetheless, we must acknowledge that except for a few individuals in power, members of all ethnic groups have been victimized. The February 28 Incident and the “White Terror,” of which the victims include both the “Ben-sheng” (Taiwanese) and the “Wai-sheng” (Mainlanders), were not historical representations of subjugation by ethnic groups, rather, abuse of power by a ruling government.

The fabric of Taiwan society today is comprised mainly of diverse immigrant groups. It is not a minority-ruled colonial state; hence, no single ethnic group alone should undeservingly bear the burden of history. Presently, regardless of one’s birthplace–be it Guangdong or Taitung, regardless of the origin of one’s mother–be it Vietnam or Tainan, and regardless of whether an individual identifies with Taiwan or with the Republic of China, per se, a common destiny has bequeathed upon all of us the same parity and dignity. Therefore, let us relinquish our differentiation between native and foreign, and between minority and majority, for the most complimentary and accurate depiction of present-day Taiwan is of a people “ethnically diverse, but one as a nation.” A shared sense of belonging has become the common denominator among all the 23 million people of Taiwan.[/quote] [my emphasis]

You’re quoting CSB as if it were supposed to actually mean something.

Looking at their policies regarding education etc. I can’t really see any focus on say Hoklo only values. My 2 oldest get dialect education in Hakka, and I guess that the little one will get in Minnan once he is old enough.

The DPP has added a bit of emphasis on Taiwan here and there, however that’s not a bad thing. Note that people above the age of 25 don’t know anything about Taiwan’s history, and only know about China’s.

Feiren,

What about the 5 “no’s” that were also part of the speech. Just face it, CSB has no integrity. Anyone who has been listening to CSB for the past 10 years knows he only adheres to the principle of hating WSR and the KMT.

Can you name one WSR in a high level position in his administration?
Can you name one pro-WSR policy as a counterpart to his pro-BSR policy in the past 8 years?

Mr He,

Do you speak Minnan or Hakka? Shouldn’t your children be educated in your mother tongue by the ROC government, as Feiren cited in CSB speech. CSB only cares about Hoklo culture on Taiwan. Even if you professed undying devotion to the TI cause, CSB and TI supporters would not care about your cultural background. Because you are not a BSR, let alone a Hoklo.

So I ask you, are you comfortable with the fact your children are exposed to be one day attacked by the comment that “they do not love Taiwan because their father’s tombstone does not say ‘Taiwan.’”

Yet you blindly support a party and their policy that by default makes your children 2nd class citizens in a Hoklo nation of TI.

As long as I keep my registry up-to-date, pay my taxes, and have proper documentations of my short but frequent trips outside the country.

Don’t worry my manditory conscription duty has been satisfied as well. It would seem I have learned quite a bit from watching CSB…

That’s exactly what the KMT did when Chiang Ching-kuo lifted martial law, and liberalized the press. Chiang Ching-kuo was a far better politician than his father. He saw the wisdom of allowing Taiwanese into the ranks of his government.

All the positive things that happened in Taiwan like liberalizing the media, lifting martial law, allowing the DPP to form at the Grand Hotel, and the first presidential election were decisions that Chiang Ching-kuo and Lee Teng-hui personally made.

Had Chiang Ching-kuo not named Lee Teng-hui as his successor, democratization would not have accelerated as it did in the early 90’s. There would be no presidential election in 1996.

I lived in Taipei in the 1980’s during the martial law era. Not far from where my family and I lived was the villa of Y.C. Wang, a soldiers’ barracks, and a secret underground police chamber. My parents despised KMT back then. But my family and I were never bothered during the martial law era. We had the freedom to travel throughout the neighborhood and outside Taipei free at will. We had as much freedom as people in the US in travelling, making economic choices, shopping, going to the movies. As long as you were indifferent to politics, you didn’t need to worry about becoming unfree.

Now, looking back, I just can’t help thinking how badly DPP are making a fool out of themselves. They know nothing about democracy. They may talk about democracy, but they don’t know how to live or use democracy. Their hooligan antics and incompetence has turned Taiwan into the third world banana.

I agree that it is Lee Teng-hui more than any other individual that allowed for democracy to flourish in Taiwan. The KMT hate him.

I think in the case of Chiang Ching-kuo he saw the writing on the wall. He probably realized that his drug smuggling buddies didn’t hold much sway in US foreign policy, having been rooted out of the CIA by Carter. He probably noted what that meant for states like the Phillipines when he witnessed the fall from grace of Marcos. The withdrawl of US troops from Taiwan meant there was little choice but to buckle or go down in a blaze of glory. It was the final confirmation of nowhere left to run.

[quote]As long as you were indifferent to politics, you didn’t need to worry about becoming unfree.
[/quote]

Welcome to China.

[quote=“Mr He”]The DPP has added a bit of emphasis on Taiwan here and there, however that’s not a bad thing. Note that people above the age of 25 don’t know anything about Taiwan’s history, and only know about China’s.[/quote] A few days before Double Ten day I overheard a conversation between a visitor from Switzerland and a few locals who were probably in their early 30’s who were sitting at the other end of the table. The subject of Double Ten (National Day) came up and the Swiss guy asked how long the history of Taiwan was. The Taiwanese immediately launched into a debate amongst themselves in Mandarin and after a minute or two the answer emerged in a slightly unsure tone, “About 50 years”…

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Do you speak Minnan or Hakka? Shouldn’t your children be educated in your mother tongue by the ROC government, as Feiren cited in CSB speech. CSB only cares about Hoklo culture on Taiwan. Even if you professed undying devotion to the TI cause, CSB and TI supporters would not care about your cultural background. Because you are not a BSR, let alone a Hoklo. [/quote]

I am an immigrant, and I therefore accept tht I am in another culture, something you have major issues doing in Taiwan, and I would suspect US too.

Note that i wrote mother tongue. I am those kids father, not their mother.

We in general don’t write political statements on our tombstones; something you would have noticed if you took the time to visit a western cementary. That basement fo your parents must be awfully cozy, sonce you don’t bother go out the door.

I think the bit of the inscription that was insulting was “re-unification”, and the fact that Ma Pi lied about it.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Yet you blindly support a party and their policy that by default makes your children 2nd class citizens in a Hoklo nation of TI.[/quote]

We all know that you were picked on by your classmates in Yilan back when you lived there. (IE before you moved to the US). Stop bringing it up.

You know shit all about Taiwan.

What? Did you get your World of Warcraft character to level 60? Accomplishment indeed. Bravo! :bravo: :bravo: :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
My accomplishments are self evident among my peers. I have nothing to do but kick back and enjoy the rest of my life.
[/quote]

What? Did you get your World of Warcraft character to level 60? Accomplishment indeed. Bravo! :bravo: :bravo: :smiling_imp:[/quote]
Oh please, it’s level 70 now, and it has an epic weapons and armor…Leroy Jenkins, baby…

But I am fully accultured to life in Taiwan and the US, so what “other” culture am I from. The problem is you don’t try hard enough to assimilate into the cultures you live in and accept instituational racism and discrimination too easily.

I see English is not your first language either, if you’re using that as your excuse to not be outrage at CSB for his bold face lie about how “foreigners” are now intergral part of Taiwan society as Feiren tried in vain to justify the TI cause.

Which is why I’m willing to speak up about the uglier side of the implications of TI on Taiwan society.

Let’s put it this way I’ve seen the perception of speaking fluent Cantonese in Taiwan go from being a stigma of having WSR background, to a cool dialect for being young, hip, and urban. By the time I entered high school the subject of who was WSR and BSR had almost no social implications, besides interesting chit chat, like blood type or horoscopes. This is the proper direction a society should be taking if it wants to ensure all its citizens can participate in society.

Many of my contemporaries who share my BSR/WSR background feel that same way ever since the DPP started campaigning on the “authentic” Taiwanese platform. They talk about this magical number of 20% WSR, but forget to mention the fact that they had a bunch of MIT children. To us we show no sympathy to those that denegrate either WSR or BSR.