Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

I would never hurt a cat, but the owner needs a punch in the wallet.

No, honest question.

I have no idea. I think “of color” is a leftover term. Also, Bowie?

Not if they’re going by looks. If someone shows up and admits they’re Japanese, or show up speaking Japanese, maybe, just maybe they would ask for a passport. If they happen to speak passable Chinese, no. This is more to placate the local customers than the owner’s actual concerns. If the customers don’t see a big nose, they will still walk in the door.

I went to Adventist for tooth-maintenance the other day, as did my wife who is Asian-looking. Everyone entering walked into a rectangle on the floor. She was turned one way, me the other to have my temp checked. Having read this forum, I decided to ask if this was only for foreigners, and they said “No, for everyone.” I wanted to ask, “Why wasn’t she (wife) checked?” but I was still me enough not to be unnecessarily adversarial. I stood back for a minute and watched what was happening. They were directing some Taiwanese-looking people to be checked. I decided, maybe they ““randomly”” chose me because I was white-looking, but they seem to be checking people anyway so maybe not. I’m not self-important enough to make big deal about it. Except for this post.

Turton’s well-documented bias aside, does a newspaper “host” an article? Even the website? Gives one the feeling of just banging on the keyboard. Also, 2009.

Hey those are not my words! Please fix the quote to indicate this is what Turton wrote, which I made clear. Thank you.

Guy

They don’t have a single review on Google Maps

After a simple google search, I currently see 477 reviews for that ill-starred establishment.

Guy

1 Like

Did I search for the right place?

Try this link. Check the Reviews tab and sort by most recent comments.

https://g.co/kgs/T5rmyA

1 Like

They actually have a Chinese transliteration of the word. Idk what characters they use, but the sounds are “ni ge”/你哥.

There is a HUGE problem with the obsession with “advanced” words showing “intelligence” leading culturally incompetent morons to think the n-word is a "better synonym” for black person, but there isn’t a single one of my students that hasn’t gotten a polite talking to about why you never use that word. They all know about American slavery and racism; even my lowest performing students who fail every test can tell me alllll about the horrible things white people do to minorities and their “understanding” that they “will be shot” if they go to the US. I have no idea who taught it to them, because I sure as heck didn’t, but they understand the existence of American racism better than most Americans. There are no excuses in my classes, though I understand that many Taiwanese are just ignorant, especially since nothing is considered a slur in this country.

And what 9th grader would sing “head, shoulders, 那個, toes”, emphasizing “那個” and laugh hysterically about it? I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there’s no doubt about what they were actually saying.

Done. I didn’t look at it after it was posted.

It has a 4.4 star rating on Google. That’s fairly good.

A lot of Taiwanese vacate the seat if I sit next to them. Good for me since I get to enjoy the whole seat.

2 Likes

I assume you are unaware of usage of American slang- it can be confusing. The use of the word ‘nigger’ is offensive; the black use of the term ‘nigga’ -different pronunciation- well, opinions differ.
It’s like trying to explain to a class why the use of ‘Chinaman’ is offensive in North America, when all it means in translation is the standard term “Zhonguoren”.
If you are in doubt, you should consult with a native English speaker.

1 Like

Mostly in America though since that’s where majority of black slaves and exploitation was in the recent past. In the rest of the world the term is used with varying meanings and pejorative effect. Sometimes even as endearments.

To black people using the term in the US - sorry you’re equally racist. I don’t care what’s the color of your skin. Don’t be a hypocrite.

Are you saying Kiwis aren’t native English speakers?

I’m perfectly aware. I just find it stupid.

Also, ‘both’ these ‘words’ regularly get called “the N word” (singular).

The ‘distinction’ here seems to appear and vanish according to convenience - in other words, it’s a bit of a bullshit distinction.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: From xenophobia

True true. Enjoy it :+1:
They don’t want to infect you so they.move🤣

1 Like

Korean has the same thing “니가” which is basically the casual form of saying “you’re” but it sounds like ni-ga…;;;

Is 那个 OK?

Not in Taiwan. Better make it 那個.

6 Likes

那个(CCP) or 那個(HK/TW) both mean “that”, which can literally mean “that” but also mean any number of uncomfortable topics that people for some reason are uncomfortable using the actual word for (such as sexual relations or a menstrual cycle).

The only time I’ve see it used to mean a derogatory name for a black person is when a white male foreign teacher thinks it’s funny that his students keep saying it. (By which I actually mean I know exactly one white male foreign teacher who didn’t have a problem with students using 那個 to refer to a black female foreign teacher. Fulbright’s marvelous diplomacy strikes again!)

Also worth mentioning is that it means “have sex” when said twice: 那個那個.