Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

49 posts were split to a new topic: What is ethnicity?

Korea is not going to be too comfortable for us whities right now.

''There are calls for a British citizen whoā€™s being treated for Covid-19 in South Korea to be deported after he broke quarantine guideline, possibly spreading the virus while travelling through the country.

The man, said to be in his thirties, travelled to South Korea from Thailand. He was examined at the airport but showed no symptoms of coronavirus. He was told to spend 14 days in self-isolation.

Instead, he reportedly visited four different cities, coming into close contact with 23 people over five days. He developed symptoms during that time and went to a test centre where he was told, once again, to self-isolate until he received his results. However, he is believed to have played screen golf at a games centre right after.ā€™ā€™

5 Likes

Greatā€¦as if the Koreans needed any more excuses for being xenophobicā€¦

7 Likes

The British citizen is whity?

Likelyā€¦Even if not thatā€™s what Koreans will be thinking. All whities will equal errant British knobs playing video games when sickā€¦

3 Likes

Disagree. Everybody is still super friendly, no harassment whatsoever

Ever since I first visited Taipei 4 years ago a Male person older than a teenager has and will not sit next to me on Metro, I normally smile to them, an Asian look of embarrassment is the same as Western.
UK would become a ruck but doesnā€™t happen here, shame really I enjoy a bit of physical violence.

My guess is that theyā€™re picking up on your bad vibesā€¦ :open_mouth:

1 Like

I always thought maybe my evil smile :angry:

I havenā€™t noticed anything different on the MRT. For years people have charged towards empty seats next to me, then done abrupt u-turns and scuttled away. Nothing has changed in that regard.
Apart from the only fools on the train not wearing masks are more than happy to plonk themselves down next to me.

5 Likes

You should have politely coughed on her.

1 Like

:eek: :idunno::popcorn:

1 Like

Or taken a page from the @jimipresley handbook and vomited in her purseā€¦

2 Likes

It was one of the coin shops on Guling Road. Iā€™d been there before a few years ago and the guy behind the counter was really nasty. This guy was just freaking out. Many of these shops buy and sell items of questionable provenance and Iā€™ve noticed a certain suspiciousness whenever Iā€™ve walked into some of them. I suspect one reason they donā€™t welcome outsiders is because they are fronts. There are a few that are super nice and friendly and of course they get my business.

1 Like

Fronts for what? Fences maybe?

1 Like

Whoa, thatā€™s right near where I live. :open_mouth:

I must say Iā€™ve never experienced anything like that, but then again, I donā€™t deal in rare and precious coins.

1 Like

i love the racism here. i lap it up. itā€™s so light and fluffy

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen guys walk in with bags of stuff to sell. Nothing wrong with that, but some of them were in a hurry. And the people involved were all hush hush about it. A few places have told me that they have nothing for sale even though the shops are full of things. And then thereā€™s the sale of (in my opinion) fake coins from China as well as counterfeit stamps. Thatā€™s a huge business. There are private collectors who are not too savvy but do spend a lot of money on this stuff. Perhaps itā€™s one way for them to show off.

2 Likes

Most of them donā€™t deal in rare and precious coins either. I suspect that many, if not most, are fake.

1 Like

Yeah. When I go by and look in the windows, it mostly looks like junk to me.

1 Like