Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

1 Like

Yes, many of them are full of crap they can no longer sell. Stamp and coin collecting are not what they used to be. It’s good for me because I’m able to find stuff that most Taiwanese couldn’t care less about since it’s not gold, silver, or very expensive. But, some of them have some interesting stuff if you’re patient and willing to wade through the crap.

“That’s not my dog.”

1 Like

Johnny blues eyes just traveled to taichung from Taipei and i was barred from staying at my hotel because they want to keep their building community safe…
They said if i had a resident card i could stay.

I said i have a passport and have not traveled since end of January.
I feel that a usa residency holder is more of a problem because they can travel to usa and come risky
I had another room booked @sun moon lake canceled it out of discriminatory anger

Found a place that would take a foreigner , just now worried about travel in tw…

How the world has changed
Anybody else have trouble traveling in tw ?

1 Like

No because I wouldn’t be traveling now

14 Likes

Just you or you think in general tw foreigners shouldn’t travel now?

Not few people, including me, are thinking now people shouldn’t travel if it is unnecessary.

9 Likes

Stay home.

Avoid any travel that isn’t essential.

Essential = basic groceries, getting exercise away from other people, childbirth, and pretty much nothing else.

7 Likes

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic. You shouldn’t be traveling without a good reason. I’m not leaving the damn house without a good reason.

8 Likes

I haven’t experience any xenophobic behavior from the virus yet.
But one Taiwanese was coughing like crazy in a lunch box store without a mask -.-
And they act like is foreigners fault that the virus is spreading in Taiwan…

Childbirth is essential? OK, OK, I’ll get to work on it. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Where is your ARC or APRC?

@Rzarobbie

I agree wholeheartedly.

No excuse for racism/discrimination, but traveling for pleasure during this time is absolutely, positively not doing your part at being a responsible citizen.

7 Likes

No resident card sorry hawk fan

Im going with the flow mask, hand washing , distancing .

While at the hotel where i was denied there were 5 tw citizens checking in. Its ok for them checkIn but they shouldn’t??

Im from Seattle.
im immersed in the news, but taiwan is safe and im not making taiwan unsafe. Great English right

Are all foreigners staying home not working?

When taiwan is under lockdown i will follow lockdown rules.

It’s a lot like the situation in the U.S. where Asians of all stripes are facing discrimination and moronic bahaviour. The bigotry is not well founded but, if you’re going around thinking it isn’t going to be happening to you, you’re the moron.

Yes USA citizens are morons , it wont happen to them!!!

About 3 weeks ago I went to Carrefour and also noticed a lady at the entrance spraying the customers, honestly the thought never crossed my mind that she could be here just to spray the foreigners.

I read on one of the breaking fb groups (where Taiwanese mostly go to complain about each other) that a couple on the bus were asked to stop their conversation by a woman in front of them. The poster said both were wearing masks. They got a picture of the back of her head for good measure.
In 2003, a well educated acquaintance said he didn’t want to stand there talking to me long because there was a hospital treating SARS patients a few streets over.
When people get scared, they get scared of anything. If there was an outbreak in an aboriginal community, every Taiwanese with dark skin would be suspect. If there are outbreaks at schools, people won’t go near children. If at a church, then Christians. If it’s a Mormon church, then people on bicycles.
One Indonesian worker got sick, so they closed the Filipino churches. (No posts about xenophobia then)
People are drinking bleach and hoarding toilet paper. Crisis time is when people are at their stupidest.

10 Likes

Passports required for foreigners. Not for Taiwanese recently returned. Is it really required for bars to check this? If not, is it a crime to lie about government regulation? @Marco, you busy?
Passports only so they can see your entry date, other documents (ARCs) not accepted. Maybe it’s to check for illegal workers, but a passport won’t show this. Again, is that a requirement for bars? Could be to check age, but an ARC would show that.
Otherwise, looks like they’re keeping it safe.

12 Likes

My passport has ZERO stamps for entry to Taiwan, since I use the e-gate function like everyone else. That is processed through the sticker on my ARC. In fact, in 2019 (all before September) I visited Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, and Canada (mostly for conferences, MOE business). So, the only logical reason (which may be a decently logical reason) is that foreigners haven’t been allowed to use the e-gate since 2/7 although locals still can. Thus, foreign passports issued before 2/7 would clearly show entry from abroad, while most TWese passports would show nothing. Not a terrible policy, after all!