Coronavirus - China

I gotta say this is @finley’s sexiest conspiracy theory yet.

Awww thanks

1 Like

China has been systematically pushing out foreigners for a while. They wanted IP and know-how but not foreigners to stay for the long haul. Some industries like education and media/entertainment are becoming closed off completely. Even Taiwanese can’t open any type of education venture now or even a buxiban.

In big cities they run constant drug raids on known foreigner bars, where the whole venue needs to get piss tested. For the last four years now.

Some cities like Shanghai and Shenzhen are relatively autonomous and I believe really wanted to be international cities. But in China you always have push and pull between Central and regional governments.

But anyway, back to the point, these lockdowns are not intentional pogroms on foreigners, they are stupid

4 Likes

Yes, I think we all know this.

Shanghai will open on the 1st June. No staged opening, just the whole city open on the same day. No questions asked. Omicron over now. Nothing to see here

1 Like

Is it? Without total eradication, it will be back, no?

At least that’s what the rest of the world has experienced . . .

Guy

I think it’s waywardly accepting that can’t put genie back in the bottle,without having to publicly lose face or answer to why they have kept people inside and destroyed the economy for two months.

It’s . . . odd. One assumes omicron will be back, perhaps in time for Xi’s coronation event in the fall.

Then what was the point of all this, it’s not like they upped vaccinations among the elderly or rolled out newly minted mRNA vaccines in the meantime.

Guy

It could just be that Xi has been persuaded that it was an idiotic cock-up.

There is nothing to see here. Talked to Omicron and agreed to finish on June 1st

2 Likes

Still gonna be a whole raft of restrictions in place, like requiring a negative covid test in the last 72hrs before being allowed in shops, public transport etc. The madness is still ongoing.

1 Like

Surely the easiest way for him to achieve zero covid is to ban people from testing and telling doctors to shut their mouths.

Controlling/ shutting up the families of the dead must be easier than controlling the whole city.

Or just lie

It’s really thoughtful and convenient of Omicron to finish on first day of new month though

1 Like

Shanghai Ready to Exit Lockdown as Covid Cases Drop

After two months of lockdowns, China’s financial capital attempts return to normalcy

The Wall Street Journal - 5/31/2022

1 Like

Shanghai is not all opened up yet, not by a longshot. The city center is yes, but it seems that many other areas will remain under lockdown - tentatively - for the rest of June.

What a horsepill to swallow for the typically less affluent and connected outside of Shanghai’s city center…

Yep. Thousands have been shipped off to the island 2hrs north of the city. They will probably be stuck there for the next month at least before they can go back home or have the option to plan an escape from China.

They have set up testing booths around the city and you need a green code from a PCR test(within 72 hours) to go into anywhere, including your own housing complex. The lines for some of the booths are 2 hours. So you have to keep on having PCR tests to do anything.

For a city of 25 million, that is a . . . novel way of doing things.

I remember how Keelung floating this “test everyone” plan and basically gave up due to the logistical problems. China’s good at logistics, but my goodness that will be a LOT of testing.

Guy

I think things are opening up now. Most of the city is out of lockdown.

Which is even more mental. There wasnt a sudden drop in cases, they didnt get to zero. Obviously the costs of this whole thing and the negative effects to the economy were too much.

They have just suddenly opened up, with no planning or communication.

1 Like