Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eh8EuC6WoAAXsvV?format=jpg&name=medium

Yep let’s see what happens, similar situation in many countries . Rising infection, low death rates . Everything needs time to see if the fatality rate can be maintained so low. It would be great news if possible. It seems to kill a lot of sick elderly in hospitals and care homes so need to keep close eye on that .
One other issue with covid is kidney and heart disease, again need to follow up with those that had bad symptoms.

1 Like

In Latin America 6 to 1 %, depending on the country.

Lockdowns in place yet a lot of deaths, a lot of infected folk, mostly younger people.

In the old country it already started that people are dying at home, don’t make it to the hospitals, which are saturated. Yet, we have so many covidiots, from the ones that say it is a conspiracy and there are not so many deaths, to the ones that organize parties of 300 or more… Sigh…

Is that place mostly inhabited by the Sámi people? This pandemic is hurting minority communities the worse… Every single lost of life is a lost on culture and history as well.

Hopefully the policy makers are covidiots who take deaths into account, because a massive increase in the number infected combined with a very low number of deaths suggests that protecting the vulnerable (particularly in care homes) always was the right strategy. As opposed to nation-wide lockdown. Unfortunately they seem to be fixated upon infections rather than deaths.

Two weeks ago the headlines in the UK were that 6 NHS health trusts “could” get overwhelmed. Even when the UK was supposedly in crisis I know that ICUs were not overwhelmed because several members of my family work in the NHS. Two weeks ago they were about to be overwhelmed, but they aren’t now and they haven’t been throughout this epidemic.

Those Harley driving covidiots created 226,000 infections. I’ve yet to hear of more than one of those guys dying.

This whole thing will go down as some kind of ergot collective madness IMO. Medieval style.

1 Like

It could be that the vulnerable have died first. Only the strong survive, this has been the reality of life we’ve forgotten.

1 Like

It is very sad. The number of deaths of the vulnerable could have been significantly reduced had policy makers concentrated on protecting them as opposed to trying to protect the entire population.

1 Like

Exactly, and young people could have not suffered so much financially. Most of us are just starting to get our footing into a very difficult job market.

It really frustrates me when the generation before me thinks we can just go to college and find a job and a good job. Its not like that no more. As someone starting a business, they also don’t realize how much they benefited from cheap labor during globalization. Cheap labor isn’t as cheap these days. I’ve been calling factories day and night. They didn’t consider us like always.

1 Like

Actually , not that it make you feel better, that situation you describe is fairly common in many countries worldwide , my whole childhood and youth was just like that with massive numbers emigrating. Also countries like Italy. You will be able to bounce back although with some slight delay. It’s the usual situation that employers want to see some experience . Only in stuff like IT they might throw money at new entrants…And if you getting annoyed with dealing with Taiwanese factory owners. Completely normal, most couldn’t be bothered getting new customers from my experience !! I would rather deal with Chinese factories. I mean there’s going to be some decent ones for sure but there’s a lot of them that will not take on new small scale customers.

I use a mixture. I tried really hard to avoid China, but they’re so efficient and good I can’t help it. I don’t see companies moving into SE Asia that fast, they just don’t have the capabilities as China right now. And it’s not necessary cheaper than China because China factories might have economy of scale and the infrastructure/machines/tech already developed/stolen.

1 Like

Yep , I didn’t even work with electronic factories but they often had the best stuff in traditional manufacturing too . Taiwan laobans…God trying to talk with them sometimes is super frustrating. It’s like they are doing you a favour in their eyes.

1 Like

I only got it because my family members knew someone as long time friends. You really need that connection to get things done in Taiwan. China will take anyone and answer any time you call.

1 Like

Yeah, give most Chinese owners credit, as they’re just among a swarm of ants trying to get a piece of the (since-shrunken) pie, and thus will take your call day or night.

All the numbers show that a recession has a significant economic impact on young people who have to come through that. Your anecdotes appear to have changed over time.

Eventually some people are going to have to pay for lockdown.

1 Like

Changed over time ?
I’m not questioning that it had an impact, I’m just saying that for large parts of the world it’s pretty much the normal state of affairs year in , year out. You just get on with things, maybe move country if the headwinds are too strong etc. There was a massive recession back in 20008. There was the dot-com crisis in 2000. There was the Korean implosion in the 90s. And in some countries it’s pretty much every year . Taiwan during the 2000s was mostly (and still is largely ) a terrible place to get a job because of wage stagnation . I mean for the period from 2000 to 2010 Taiwan’s wages actually went down against inflation. I was impacted by that too.

I don’t have the time to pull up all your posts in the past where you highlighted young people suffering after economic downturns.

Do you not find it odd? Telling people to “get on with things”. Such an incredible change in their lives.

1 Like

I can only imagine how rough it got for many of them finally out of student loan debt and getting on to their careers to have this wipe it all out.

I was lucky to not have rent and used my Trump bucks to start a business to try to get myself another income stream in case something like this happens again or continues to cause disruptions.

I do think the older generation don’t get how it is now. Schools cost more than ever, double or triple when they went to school while the worth of a degree is a lot less.

When I send out a resume, it’s against the entire world. Wasn’t like that back in the day. And even as someone with some pretty interesting work experiences, speak multiple languages, life experiences, and good education, it’s pretty rough.

1 Like

There’s also a lot of discrimination against young professionals and students in places like the UK.

I’m trying to rent places now and people straight up reject me or never answer back once they find out I’m a returning student and don’t have a certain income. They won’t rent to students or young professionals with entry level jobs. They actually ask specifically what your job is and how much you make before a real conversation even starts.

A virus that, pretty much, only affects baby boomers changes the world.

They really have sucked up everything available. Of course I don’t want them to die, some of them are my relatives. There is a balance between keeping people alive and maintaining a normal society.

Younger people have to live.

1 Like

I’m saying it’s quite a common state of affairs that young people face challenges entering the workforce. This year is really bad I get it, I commiserate, and I have donated to various people/orgs who needed help. I have friends whose relatives have died and I know people with serious ongoing ailments after covid. I myself took a salary cut for a while. Many of my colleagues who have families were furloughed. What about them? So it’s tough all round.