Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

Those are standard questions. How much you earn, what you do, background checks, right to rent. Some of these are legal requirements. In my experience estate agents are quite strict, whereas private landlords can be more flexible.

What exactly are the problems you’re having?

Edit, sorry just reread your post, have you tried student specific letting agents?

Eh we have countries with total lockdown and lots of deaths.

We have countries with no lockdown and lots of deaths and infected.

There are other elements at play, such as access to clean water, food and medical attention.

Yep, it is already a nutrition crisis.

It’s mostly shared flats. I’m moving with fiancée, we have some money for something decent. They just don’t want to rent it to us. I need an extra room for work for our business. I don’t money yet for an office or warehouse. They don’t want to rent it to us.

I don’t want to derail another thread, but I’d suggest focussing on 1/2 bed flats rather than shared accommodation.

Landlords are often extremely reluctant to rent rooms to couples in shared accommodation/HMOs. In all of the shared places I’ve rented the landlords have not allowed couples. Sometimes due to regulations, sometimes to try and maintain a happy household.

Another option is to offer a few months rent upfront. It’s a bit shit but is common and can often work. Only do this if you are dealing with an established letting/estate agent, don’t do it with a private landlord.

That’s what I’m doing, I’m saying the ones that will rent to students are mostly shared flats. I’m not looking for shared accommodations which is the issue. They don’t care if I have a work history or a masters student on academic scholarship and can pay for it. They see me as high risk financially without a steady income and a partying college student that will trash their place.

I even explained to them my situation. I’m a non smoker and don’t drink. I’m not here to party. I don’t want to party, just study.

I’m sure they would rent to me if I just paid 100% upfront. But that leaves me very vulnerable. I have zero leverage for the landlord to uphold any of his obligations and don’t have time to pursue legal actions.

That’s shit, but it’s basically the same situation I faced moving back to London 3 years ago, with a full time professional job lined up. That time their excuse was that (like every job) I was working a probation period.

You may have to pay something up front. I wouldn’t offer 100% up front, but 25 to 50% is pretty common for someone in your situation. But as I said go through a reputable estate agent and the risk will mainly be down to you not committing to the full term.

Yes, even if deaths come down the long terms effects are still not clear. Even the young need to be cautious.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02598-6

I just spoke to my brother, a doctor, and he told me that three of his colleagues have been forced into 2 week quarantine because their kids were at a school where this new coronavirus was found. They’re now significantly understaffed. Jesus Holy Christ the UK’s response has been a clusterfuck.

1 Like

Looks like the toilet paper hoarding crowd have a new queue to join:

I’ve read about the lockdown response to Covid-19 causing the deaths of millions of hungry people, but not that Covid-19 in itself kills hungry people. However, it does sound logical - presumably due to weakened immune systems. Do you have a link about this? I’ve searched but can’t find one.

1 Like

If he worked as a long distance lorry driver or a whole host of professions exempt, he could ignore it. Total farce.

Not really. What is happening in Latin America is that people are dying at an accelerated rate, more than usual. Hence, economies are coming to a standstill, causing people to go hungry, since there is no good government response. Or no response at all. Example

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article245600805.html

I cannot say about Europe, but AJ has an interesting discussion about Sweden

People are dying more than usual everywhere. The reaction to that is causing economies to come to a standstill. Therefore people are going hungry.

3 Likes

Eh just as I said. But not everyone agrees, so I mentioned what I know.

That’s not what I understood from what you said. It read to me that people dying is causing economies to come to a standstill. I argued that the reaction to people dying causes economies to come to a standstill. People die all the time and everyone else still goes to work.

Those people dying don’t have the potential to infect others to cause their death or sickness though. Obviously a very big problem in hospitals.

Ah, got it. Well, people stay home not to die. Also, people stay home as they have no jobs anymore, as their industries like transportation or selling clothes or tourism is gone. It is a circle: as long as the virus runs rampant, like a tiger, no one can go out without paying a toll and economies suffer.

Not if the mortality rate from the virus for most people is incredibly low. Then the virus is manageable.

Anyway I think you, Brianjones, and I are going to have to agree to disagree. No amount of data is going to sway any of our minds.