Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

It would be easier to respond to your question(s) if your words actually made sense. :neutral_face:

Guy

Hey Guy,
I made the mistake of trying a boxed meal that according to the ingredients have no fish in it.
Yet, here I am fighting an allergic reaction on drugs recommended to me from the pharmacy because I don’t want to go to the emergency room.

“名:宮保離了分:水,雞肉,紅蘿蔔,大豆沙拉油,豆薯,鷹嘴豆蒜仁,青蔥,乙醯化已二酸二殿粉,紅辣椒食鹽,砂糖,酵母粉,雞肉精粉 (雞肉,麥芽糊精,鹽,L-魅酸鈉,糖,5’-次黃吟核苷磷酸二納,5’岭核苷磷酸二鈉,胺基乙酸,DL-胺基丙酸, 雞油,香料),乾辣椒,水解大豆蛋白調味粉(大豆水解蛋白,鹽),胺基乙酸,大紅袍花椒粉,油性辣椒紅(芥花油,紅椒色素),玉米糖膠,花椒粉 ,朝天椒粉,調味劑(5-鳥嘌呤核苷磷酸二鈉,5’-次黃喋呤核苷磷酸二納),檸檬酸納,油性辣椒精(葵花油,脂肪酸山梨醇酐酯,辣椒 萃取物),琥珀酸二鈉重”
I was listing my symptoms and the fact that I have a wide variety of things I’m allergic to…
Apparently my fish allergy bled to the other foods I was normally able to eat.

All I did was get one preposition wrong… Sorry…
Now, I can’t handle foreign proteins, I think I’m in for a rough ride when it comes to vaccined

Damn that sounds rough.

I hope you’ll be OK! :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

Works for this guy.

Yeah, I am still here. Thanks

I stayed up, monitored breathing, throat, skin. Popped pills at strategic intervals.
Incident happened around 9:30…
It was around 2:30 maybe later before, felt confident enough to sleep…
Now mild annoying symptoms are coming back. It will probably be evening or tomorrow morning before feeling normal.
Seriously… I’ve better do some research. There was nothing in this food I should have been allergic to. Perhaps all those amino acids…
I really better try to find a doctor who understands food allergies and vaccines here in Taiwan. I live in the south. I doubt I will get good advice in a crowded vaccine tent…
Super big question who are these vaccines trying to protect. They say they want to protect people with weak immune systems or the unvaccinated.
Then why is this previously vaccine damaged girl being denied an education in the University of Hawaii?
If she really likes the school, she may be given a death sentence. Is that worth it?
*Courts upheld mandatory vaccinations so far for work and educational venues…
This may literally mean “overkill” if high risk individuals are “forced.” In this case, “forced” means being denied a normal life if they don’t take the vax.
Again, not an anti-vaxxer. Taken the traditional ones before… But like living…

He corrected you as there is a big difference because of vaccination rates.

2% of people dying from a respiratory infection is extraordinarily high, not low. In many populations the CFR has been higher, at least initially.

It’s all relative. The CFR for Delta in the UK is 0.2%. I consider that a low rate. Low previously, low now.

1 in 50 versus 1 in 500.
These two numbers are not the same.

Either of those is low.

No. 1 in 50 death rate is really bad for a respiratory virus.

1 Like

I very much hope you can sort this out.

But the story you mentioned and linked is not about the University of Hawai’i. It involves Brigham Young University Hawai’i, not the Hawai’i’s flagship public university.

As a side note, you might also consider finding better sources of information than Fox News, if only for your own sanity . . . :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

thats beyond ridiculous and something that only taiwan would come up with.

What happens when you scuba ? You are actually swimming …
and when surfing?? you will be swimming at some point when you fall off your board. OF course what they really mean is that you cant just go horsing around at the beach because scuba divers and surfers are quite rare compared with joe blow who goes to the beach in the summer time.

3 Likes

Ridiculous…
I don’t scuba dive but I would guess most people cannot afford their own apparatus.
I’m sure they would be renting them.
How good is the sterilization procedures?

If we get back to normal near September, are they going to give us our summer swimming season back? Seriously the local outdoor pools close too early in my opinion. I think they could extend it for at least a month.

1 Like

They should but they probably won’t
Back in the day when beaches snd pools closed Sept 1st you could almost feel the palpable difference between august 31 and sept 1 and it was usually a bit chilly to swim in the ocean of north Taiwan come around the 5th of September

But the heated underground pools at the govt gyms open all year if they are not shut down these days

i know its not all about me, so sorry to butt in but may as well update.
free covid tests here are available but takes 2 to 5 working days to get a result. The cheapest fast test I could find was the 150 bucks I spent last time. Im well today and i want to get back to work and dont want to wait too long to find out and wifey found one tester in san jose for 49 so i drove my ass down there and got it done. NEGATIVE whew. Especially since wifey is about to leave for indonesia very soon and shes getting her PCR tests (runs 150 to 250) tomorrow so if i was positive likely she would be too and her current travels plans would be all messed up. Flights booked, hotels booked etc and et al.

so luckily i got the normal flu and not the covid flu. i didnt get a flu shot this year, probably if i did i may not even have felt much of a flu.
so i guess the regular flu shot should still be gotten.
do they do flu shots in taiwan? Its free here with medical insurance and even without insurance its like 30 bucks

Covid tests and shots are totally FREE , insurance or not. Because the govt is paying for them. Its not something to horse around with the covid.

4 Likes

I should clarify the free COVID test can take up to five working days if you want a fast test they run several hundreds even The one I found today for 49 was very cheap

And the PCR tests the ones that you need to travel with are usually 150 to 250 for results in 24 hours
About 450 if you need it overnight and up to 900 dollars for results in 15 mins

This is from the uk.
How can they even suggest vaccinating kids?

They have pretty much said that the only kids to die from Covid are kids that had health problems already. Depending on their situation, they can take the vaccine if they want.

But not healthy kids.

3 Likes

Are there stats that show the percentage of children with underlying conditions before death?

Here is the full article.

There Is some info about the 25 there.

3 Likes

Wow. Six (count 'em, six) had no underlying conditions. There are 15m under-18s in the UK, so that’s a 1 in 2.5 million chance of dying if you’re a healthy teenager (not sure where the 2m figure in the poster comes from - maybe rounded down).

Which suggests that, if vaccines have a risk-of-death in the same ballpark, then it would be highly immoral to start vaccinating under-18s. Fortunately the UK gov’t seems to have come to that conclusion too.

3 Likes