Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Small side effects from covid-19 vaccine /s

Seems to be in Eindhoven? I had a job interview there once actually and the city seemed pretty grey and unappealing - I’d pretty much decided I couldn’t bear to live there for a couple of years within the first hour.

2 Likes

The virus has many ways to screw you over

1 Like

True story.
I lost my sense of smell for a couple of months about five years ago.
I was getting burning sensations in my nostrils. Not BBQ but more like electric cable burning. Urggh . Food tasted awful .

It was probably due to a viral infection (at the time I thought it was allergies ) . Then I thought I had cancer or something I was freaking out for a bit cos it messed up my olfactory senses . So it can happen with other viruses aswell.
Thankfully it came back, 90 per cent anyway.

1 Like

the vaccine just killed another person here in bay area. They wont say if its pfizer or monsanto.
person had tested positive 3 months ago and died within hours of injection.
vaccine maker claims no relationship

but so far half a dozen people have died within hours of the pfizer vaccine.

Think i DONT want a pfizer vaccine…thank you very much.

2 Likes

Some people will always die after getting a vaccination. People can and do have allergic reactions all the time. The risk however of dying after being vaccinated is far smaller than the risk of catching the virus and dying so it is worth getting vaccinated in that sense. I would be more concerned with the vaccine being ineffective, as we really haven’t got enough data yet.

4 Likes

well if and thats IF the chances of dying from getting the vaccine is greater than the chance of surviving the virus then shoot, id take a chance on the virus.

90pct of the people who get the virus have no worse than a bad cold. ten pct require hospitalization and of those half die so about five pct.

The common flu kills like zero point one pct or some such. So covid is bad, it aint good.

2 million people vaccinated I think i read and so far less than a dozen deaths possibly attributable to the vaccine means its pretty safe.

Still id be hesitant. And I wont get the pfizer one PERIOD.
The chinese one may be safer at least lower kill rate i think, not sure

And people die all the time (and old people even more die all the time), so the fact that somebody dies after a vaccination does not necessarily mean that the vaccination was the cause

1 Like

mostly true but suspicious for a seemingly healthy man to die within hours of the vaccine. To me that means there is a link.

Misinformation and unjustified jumping to conclusions. Did someone die several hours after receiving the vaccine, yes. Did the vaccine kill them, no clear answer as yet.

Wait, this isn’t even about Taiwan anyway - off-topic.

Quote from one news story:

Blumberg, an infectious disease expert at UC Davis Children’s hospital, warns people shouldn’t be too quick to place blame.

“My first inclination is that it’s probably not related to the vaccine,” Blumberg told FOX40. “We know that the severe allergic reactions that occur following immunization, the vast majority of those occur 15-30 minutes following immunization.”

Blumberg says that if it happened several hours later it is “probably not the severe allergic reaction, anaphylaxis, that we worry about.”

A recommendation from Dr. Anthony Fauci also states that people should not get vaccinated within 90 days of being sick with the virus.

Blumberg says people who had COVID-19 participated in the vaccine trials and did not show any increased risk.

2 Likes

Not really if you are talking millions of people.

3 Likes

This has nothing to do with Taiwan (not to mention that it’s blatant anti-vax misinformation). Flagged as off-topic.

7 Likes

Deleted poll. Sorry. The noisy minority has spoken.

A lot of this is already discussed, with a poll, over in this thread:

Plus the poll’s a bit weird. There are four of those that I could select.

1 Like

Deleted. I am stupid in assuming attitudes towards vaccines may have changed over the last few weeks! So say some pundits wiser than I.

I don’t agree that it’s dated. It’s only a month old. And yes, that poll is limited, meaning it has one topic: it’s just asking about trust in vaccines. Your poll is conflating two quite different issues: how people feel about the Covid vaccine in general, and what they think should happen with roll-out in Taiwan. Those are two different topics and don’t really belong in the same set of questions.

1 Like

Deleted. How dare I speak out of turn.

1 Like

Eh, there are already a bunch of threads going off on how Covid isn’t a real threat and the vaccine is all just a ploy by pharmaceuticals to make billions off a captive sheep market, or whatever the current theories are. At least this thread so far has been mostly sticking to Taiwan, but asking about how much people trust vaccines will likely make the thread veer off in the same direction as other threads.

(Asking about just what people think vaccine rollout should be like in Taiwan, sure. Sorry if I’m being a jerk with this.)

2 Likes

Start a new thread. See what you get.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face: