Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

They’ve managed to engineer an R-value of almost exactly one with a virus as contagious as measles, and yet at offices and schools everyone seems to be catching typical seasonal colds. Not being conspiratorial, but it doesn’t make sense. Look at HK which has 2 person socializing limit but Omicron is still spreading.

1 Like

Hopefully they’d see there’s no substantive danger from Omicron and not raise the level or at least understand the futility of doing so, but I have no faith in that outcome.

1 Like

Yes, mostly. What’s your point?

Why you think that is? To prevent demonstrations. The commies are no dummies.

8 Likes

If it were true (and I’m not for a moment suggesting that it is), it would imply that the restrictions being placed upon the Taiwanese people are unjustifiable under the law that enables them (ie., a health-and-safety override on Constitutional rights). It would suggest that the authorities, or even a few specific people, are holding the entire country hostage in order to fulfil political goals. It would be a crime so egregious that you’d have to go back to the 1970s to find something equivalent.

Of course it’s absolutely impossible that anything like that can be happening. I’m sure the CECC are completely in control of the situation, that no laws are being broken, and that our health is uppermost in their minds.

1 Like

So my company has decided to do PCR testing for all the employees of four branches. Why? Because why not right?
Anyway good news is they are using fancy saliva PCR machine which have like complicated instructions which i am sure most will mess up but atleast can give the result within 3 minutes so yay to that. No more putting stuff in my nose.

2 Likes

Is that in Taiwan? If yes: wow!

What does “fancy saliva PCR machine” mean? I don’t think it’s possible to perform PCR in 3 minutes?

1 Like

I would love to know what this is too. Is it branded “Theranos”?

3 Likes

I hope now, time has been long enough to prove that, by and large, Omicron isn’t worth the fuss and that lockdowns and heightened restrictions just don’t work.

Mystery solved! Turns out I just hadn’t paid the last bill (don’t remember receiving one!) so they cut me off lol. :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

At least that didn’t mess with my precious banh mi excursion!

Guy

If you have fancy saliva you can use it?

1 Like

Oops i wrote wrong. I mean the process is done in 3 minutes , the result might take an hour to show up but its a self kit and can be done by oneself so no need to go to any hospital.

1 Like

guess KO is saying cost of covid zero is too high, it won’t last?
oh really? you mean putting people in 14-day quarantine, and forcing businesses to close is bad for the economy?

5 Likes

Trip was delayed.

2 Likes

Following on from the discussion a day or two ago, this appears to suggest that a doctor in Pingtung tested positive, 135 of her patients were sent into quarantine at their own expense (minus a daily government subsidy of NT$1500), and the clinic is voluntarily paying NT$2 million to cover the rest?

4 Likes

I made a separate thread for this topic

2 Likes

Well it’s absolutely ridiculous what Taiwan is doing here. I hope people go to court and claim compensation for the quarantine prison.

Plus I hope people take note and rebel against the CDC tracing as long as Taiwan is not covering all costs. Even Hong is paying for the hospital prison.

I have searched for but could not find a single country worldwide where you have to pay for isolating yourself without being responsible (meaning they find out you actively tried to infect yourself).

My opinion of Taiwan is taking a dip every day this farce continues…

This is different from Quarantine requirements on arrivals, but also there most countries offer way better conditions. Only a few like Australia or Canada were worse.
E.g. in my current main residence country, Cyprus, they out people in 5 star hotels only facing the pool and then had animation for the people every day that you could take part in from the balcony. Oh yeah food was chosable from menu including alcohol and costs fixed at around 70-100 euros per room (single/double room) including food and alcohol… This only applied to arrivals without their own residence… And heck no neighbours went crazy if someone arriving quarantined. They usually were very supportive,

Taiwan and China put on a huge facade of overstating fear and danger and now cannot admit to new realities out of fear of losing their face. However the more they continue this way the harder they will fall. People here will silently rebel and it will cost a lot.

It’s crazy so far no one has taken this pay yourself for them throwing you in prison to court. I sure would jump up an down in my room all day, make noise like crazy and refuse to pay a cent…
It won’t take long for people to “accidentally” set their room on fire or flood it.

1 Like

I think I’ll be using this meme a lot over the next few weeks.

3 Likes