Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

No it won’t. The entire pandemic response - here as elsewhere - has been completely lawless. There has not been a single legal challenge to outrageously unlawful acts (such as vaccine mandates), nor has any public servant demurred. The public have quietly accepted every brainfart flowing from the CDC, however pointless, however obviously motivated by profit or by superstition, without question. The underlying approach in Taiwan’s response is not remarkably dissimilar to China; IMO this country has lost all legitimate claim to being a democracy predicated on rule of law.

Presser is on. 1 new domestic.

1 + 25 = 26 and no deaths.
Of the rest, another 11 from the land of the free.

6 Likes

Not virus free, that’s for sure. :mask:

3 Likes

At times mask free, though. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

So… that’s pretty good. Only one additional infection. I was expecting at least an extra half dozen. Let’s hope our luck holds out (again! We’ve dodged more bullets than Neo).

5 Likes

If we can just hang on till LNY. And I can get the huge bonus that’s coming my way. And the Phuket sandbox stays open. And NZ can open the borders in March. And Fulham win the Championship. Well, 2022 could be a cracker lads.

1 Like

If the “ifs” and “buts” were crackers and nuts . . . 2022 would be a cracker lads! :rofl:

I hope you get everything you want. But we still need to be vigilant.

Guy

1 Like

Damn vigilance. Except at the airport. And quarantine facilities. Which is what Minister Chen is going over right now. Very thorough examination of possible weaknesses in our entry procedures, quarantine facilities etc. More measures in addition to the other measures. In particular they’re worried about all the outsourced labor. Drivers, cleaners etc.

3 Likes

I can concede that the pilot and the original outbreak could’ve been luck, but every single time?

Maybe luck plays a little bit of a role, but I want to believe that competence, a little bit of overkill have played most of the role, even if we don’t always get everything right. The crushing of alpha cemented my belief they know what they’re doing, the crushing of omicron will only solidify it.

2 Likes

I’m still thinking native resistance is a factor.

1 Like

Ah, the luck of the plucky Zulu.

I don’t believe that Taiwan out of all the countries in the world just happened to coincidentally be naturally resistant to a strain of Coronavirus that only appeared in 2019. And then have a 5% death rate from confirmed cases in an outbreak in May 2021.

And then have its ½Million foreigners also suffer no ill effects.

It just doesn’t add up.

5 Likes

Only when eating.

Then it was straight back on again.

Other countries around here have had similar experiences to a degree. I’m saying it could be one factor, not a sole reason.

1 Like

Other than shopping, a jog on the park in evenings and work, meeting me was the first time she had gone anywhere since the lockdown had started.

I can’t imagine such an existence.

2 Likes

Eating wh-- nah, not going there, mea culpa, mea culpa.

Its weird they think its okay to be maskless while eating outdoors. How about either no masks while outdoors or no eating outdoors at all?

Because that’s impractical.

Some masks are better than no masks.

Don’t need to be that extreme on either end. There’s nothing wrong with me eating far away from other people.

2 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

I’d add that they also managed to scoop up and contain some Delta outbreaks too, including the Peru grandma saga in Pingtung.

It’s too early to say if this magic can work with the current Omicron outbreak. The transmissability of this variant is nuts.

Guy

4 Likes