Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

Southbound tourists have rebound, with Kaohsiung hotels reporting 80% occupancy and people calling to book for the next day still now.

1 Like

I was thinking moreso international tourists, but anything helps :slight_smile:

Thats not what I picture when I read or hearā€¦

Instead, something more like this comes to mind:

or

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I would wish that this impasse had given tourism authorities the time to plan a strategy to attract a better, more sustainable and overall beneficial tourist to Taiwan. Instead of the China focused, China benefits kind.

Alas, one can dreamā€¦

1 Like

Unfortunately I saw the aftermath of a really bad scooter accident a block from my house earlier today. Dude was laid out on a stretcher so obviously quite serious. I see accidents like this at least once a month (sometimes more). Have seen at least two or three definitely dead people on the road in my 6 years here. If theyā€™re so keen to protect us all from harm, Iā€™d like to see that level of care applied towards something that actually is killing people every day.

14 Likes

What you are seeingā€”unfortunately for all involvedā€”are examples of normalized accidents. Michael Turton wrote about this phenomenon a while ago:

Guy

7 Likes

Iā€™m not saying either situation is ideal but I think thereā€™d be far less fatalities in a Taiwan that has normalized living with COVID vs a Taiwan that has normalized horrible road accidents and lax enforcement of traffic laws.

9 Likes

Itā€™s not often that we hear Minister Chen speak directly to us in English. He does so here:

Guy

20 Likes

He didnā€™t post it on Forumosa, so it donā€™t count :wink:

1 Like

Still appreciate Minister Chenā€™s outreach, as itā€™s clear heā€™s not speaking to international media, but to people like us who live here.

Guy

9 Likes

Agree, they need to open borders for those vaccinated and boosted. Why would being totally isolated for another few years be good for anyone there? Even Taiwanese who donā€™t travel at all? It canā€™t be good in the long run for international relations, business, or anything. Itā€™s pretty bad when the Philippines are making more logical decisions :flushed:

2 Likes

747 posts were split to a new topic: Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb. 2022

A post was split to a new topic: From taiwan

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Share your Covid Vaccination Experience Here

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From taiwan

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: How dangerous is Omicron?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives