Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

It can, and apparently does. In your example the second case would be the false negative.

Could also be about the swabbing technique/location, e.g., the amount of virus present at the swabbing site and transferred onto the end of the swab being lower than whatever the detection limit of the test is.

4 Likes

I meanā€¦ are these even the same place?

3 Likes

Can I just point out thatā€™s seven days in a row with zero local transmissions.

Although Iā€™d like to also point out that Iā€™m classing the navy cases as local.

But thatā€™s just me being contrarian.

1 Like

Allegedly yes. And itā€™s a fairly long and tiring hike, Iā€™m surprised to see so many people up there.

3 Likes

And there are forms of the disease where the virus is not in the airways.

I am surprised that so many of the ā€œaverageā€ people go on a hike that long. Usually you only get crowds like that when there is a parking lot 5 minutes away.

1 Like

Really? What do you mean? Iā€™ve read articles suggesting that it can affect the heart, nervous system, etc., but they sounded quite speculative, and itā€™s still fundamentally a respiratory disease, no?

Do you maybe mean just that they didnā€™t detect the virus in the upper respiratory system?

1 Like

you only get that map if you set the transmission color by country.

If you really want to know if Taiwan simply has a weaker strain, you should have set the color to represent clade.

Iā€™d say most cases (over 75%) in Taiwan share the same clade as Europe and the US

1 Like

Wacky theory debunked? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thereā€™s been a lot of IG, facebook and youtube posts about this ā€œMacha mountainā€ā€¦

In that case the first test is a false negative.

In any case thereā€™s little point of doing more test when you have a positive PCR test, unless somebody made a mistake in the lab or during the testing. False positive is highly unlikely. False negative in the other hand is not uncommon.

There is a gastrointestinal form, it can attach and reproduce within the instestine I think. Apparently, still under research, it can also attack the nervous system and reduce the production of immune defense. A lot of unknown at this stage.

2 Likes

Time for me to flex a bit:

13 Likes

Beautiful! Iā€™m willing to queue at least two hours for one of does

4 Likes

Well, most imported cases now are from US/Europe, not China.

I am just glad to see not so many cases evolve into bad pneumonia.

2 Likes

Huh? Theyā€™re repeating the test in those confirmed to have COVID-19 because in most places, consecutive negative tests on two or more days is the criteria by which patients are allowed to be discharged from the hospital or exit self-isolation.

The concern is that if patients are ā€œclearedā€ prematurely but are still contagious, they could continue to spread the virus.

Wow, you can see the clade divergence and spread in action if you click play, and time will be shown as animation.

Sorry didnā€™t know you where speaking about hospital discharge or discontinuation of quarantine. Thatā€™s of course different then initial testing.

They are on the look out for a guy who sat in the bus next to an infected marine.