Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

Yes nightclub and nightmarkets are no brainer

Unfortunately although locals love the face masks they lack social distancing common sense. And they love crowd crushes and queuing.

3 Likes

@unwat found one:

1 Like

Iā€™ve occasionally asked my students why they queue up to get in a crowded elevator for a fifth-floor class, or get on a crowded 15-minute bus ride to avoid a 20-minute walk. Normally itā€™s merely a little lazy, but these days it just seems dumb. They look a bit confused at my questions.

5 Likes

I thought that was just the way that they adjusted to crowded conditions.

I figured that was because they grew accustomed to those things after being crowded for so long.

I donā€™t know. I passed by the liujushi on elephant mountain yesterday and it was a ridiculous crush of dickheads queuing to take selfies on the boulders. Everyone sweaty and coughing from the climb.

4 Likes

Oh, if itā€™s for a selfie, well that makes sense! The foundation of Maslowā€™s hierarchy of needs, isnā€™t it? First an Instagram story, and then food?

2 Likes

In case the parks and trails werenā€™t already crowded enough (our neighbourhood & local park was jam-packed this weekend, plus streams of cars going up to the tombs on Wuzhishan)ā€¦ the Forestry Bureau is promoting their parks even MORE and giving free admission to kids.
Whereā€™s a person to go these days, to get away from the people?! It seems that only department stores are emptyā€¦ but I canā€™t walk my dog there.

While Iā€™m loathe to link to Taiwan News, I canā€™t find the actual release on the Forestry Bureau site. Sorry.

2 Likes

Near Nantou there is a village that has government housing for retired KMT soldiers. A lot of buildings are already empty. But they have nice little parks.
Even on the weekends they are not crowded. Occasionally south asian care workers wheel in old guys to get some fresh air.

In case you mean the infographics I posted, they are from the CNA website. Thatā€™s the Taiwan government state news agency:

English: https://focustaiwan.tw/

Chinese: https://www.cna.com.tw/

2 Likes

Oh, someone at CNA read the complaints and they now
> add the English overview again

Getting a bit less detailed, bit still useful I think:

2 Likes

In North Taiwan things can sure get crowded. But I was out on the coast near Jinshan this weekend and it wasnā€™t too bad, just go before noon or go to the spots that are a little less famous. The water isnā€™t warm yet so not so many on the beaches. The old street was only half as busy as usual.

1 Like

Currently riding one of the cleanest Taipei city buses I have ever seen. It almost looks brand new. Masks ā€œmandatedā€ according to this sign, although I imagine this isnā€™t really being enforced.

There was another piece of paper posted by the door that read ā€œThis bus has been disinfected.ā€ Canā€™t get a clear pic because itā€™s facing away from me.

Iā€™m seeing both of these messages more and more often now on various buses affiliated with different companies. Sanchong, Xinxin, etc. They should never stop doing this, tbh.

3 Likes

Two weeks not enough.

2 Likes

What the fā€¦

4 Likes

I wish this headline read ā€œquarantine skipper handed hefty clubbingā€ instead. I hope that works this way in English.

6 Likes

posted hours ago

This thread moves so fast, who can keep up? Besides who wants to? I have a limit to how much bad news I can process.

5 Likes

The standard routine should be:

Taiwan developments thread:ā€œOh okā€¦not too badā€¦ā€
Chinese flying aids crisis open thread:ā€œJESUS CHRIST WTF IS GOING ON WHY IS EVERYONE COUNTRY SO DUMBā€
Coronovirus memes thread:ā€œAh ah, that was a good oneā€

You end the cycle with your brain releasing sweet endorphins and the overall experience is more bearable.

9 Likes

He should be named and shamed. So anyone who catches it knows who to kick the shit out of when its over.

1 Like