Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

I think most people have accepted the situation and are ready to open up. Was even following some blue political shows that are for older peopel and they were telling people not to worry, get vaccinated and that we are going to live with the virus. I’m not sure there is much appetite for lockdowns or dragging people away

Get practicing your Will Smith slaps in case anyone gets a bit hysterical over this.

Chen keeps repeating the mantra, don’t panic, stay calm, wear your mask.

He’s also just said masks stay off for exercise. No intention of changing that.

1 Like

Goose ‘meat’ store?

Yeah, maybe it’s a special audio-visual goose meat store.

1 Like

They could stay south and continue their lives there.

1 Like

They are getting ‘Shanghaied’

Todays CDC-Taiwan update, attachement has more details (I saw some from wedding meal in Taichung and other clusters)

2 Likes

Do you mean like this? (From a couple of days ago.)

https://twitter.com/cookiebandit/status/1508813840456298513

3 Likes

This “middle” became a thing as the KMT moved into all-out comprador mode with way out there unificationist candidates like Hung Hsiu-chu.

I doubt Ko’s “middle” will have a national market, but I guess we’ll see.

Guy

I don’t think you are correct. Where do you think Kos stance is?

I think he thinks he can sidestep the unification-versus-independence (however defined) conundrum. Maybe this would have been possible during the early Hu Jintao era, but I think since the HK smashdown this is not politically possible to sell nationally in Taiwan now. As a mayor, OK, but not as a President, which is the job he claims he wants.

My thinking here is following Academia Sinica political studies scholar (and blogger) Nathan Batto, who coined the term “China cleavage” to describe this political dilemma. I’m simply following Batto’s position.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Sounds like a fun way to spend a Friday evening. There are some tables here, but it seems that the most recent published information is from the 2010 census.

From those data, it seems the total number of people aged 75 or over was 1,083,060 (=490,590+592,470 on page 4 of this file), or 4.68% of the population (=1,083,060/23,123,866).

I’m guessing your 65+ figure of 16% came from here, which seems a bit higher than the 10.6% calculated from the 2010 data (=2,444,760/23,123,866). Maybe the current 75+ figure is similarly higher as well.

Yeah great the Frozen Garlic guy is just ok for me to be honest

I don’t claim he’s the Oracle of Delphi. But he knows more about this stuff that I do, so there’s that. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Kos problem is other things, not his cross straits stance. At least around me, white collar professional in Taipei are bored of cross straits stuff

Boredom is good. That means we’re not dodging missiles from China.

Anyways back on topic . . .

Guy

Tsai herself has moved into the middle (waving ROC flag, singing national anthem)

Just to make sure we remain totally off topic, against the explicit request of @tempogain , where was she before? Certainly never “pro unification”. I think she was incredibly strategic when she said to some US reporter ~a year ago that there was no need to declare independence because Taiwan already is an independent nation. That’s strategic because, you might have noticed, China will destroy Taiwan in the event of a Declaration of Independence.

2 Likes

she was saying this back in Jan 2020 with her interview with the BBC

1 Like

This is the anything goes thread

4 Likes