Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

Two weeks it is then. Starting today.

Yes.

1 Like

Not very useful if it doesn’t specify what they died of. It looks like more people died proportionally in the vaccinated under 50 years group, but more died proportionally in the in the unvaccinated over 50 group.

Agreed. That’s a huge issue with all ‘deaths by/with Covid.’

What’s even more interesting is how many had comorbidities. I remember when the case numbers were low in Vietnam, every time someone would die, they’d list their age and comorbidities in the online paper. As you now might expect, the majority were very old and had a buffet of existing conditions that would have them very sick or very susceptible to anything.

That is useful info. Unfortunately, this is what we usually get:

Covid NSW: Man in his 30s dies from Covid-19 as outbreak spreads :runaway:

The headline is obviously designed to provoke fear. Most won’t read past that. But if we read about the man’s death, we learn this:

“NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said that while the man died from the virus, he did have other “significant underlying health conditions” at the time.”

They could just as headline, “Young man with serious comorbidities dies with Covid.”

1 Like

Australian “journalists” would need to understand and explain that word to their readers first - a very difficult task even for the “journalists” let alone the wider public. Instead, they just use the one-liner and to hell with reporting the facts.

1 Like

Come on, gimme the ZERO!

2 Likes

Patience young man, patience.

1 Like

12 + 4 = 16 and two more deaths.

3 Likes

oh

ouch :woozy_face:

“If it bleeds, it leads”.

That being said I have a friend who’s 27 and has no preexisting conditions (neither over nor under weight, exercises a few times a week, eats a relatively healthy diet) that got a very mild, nearly asymptomatic case of COVID last June
and still has a very limited sense of smell over a year later.

The fact that she can’t taste chocolate makes me never want COVID. Is that selfish?

Did you know the founder of Texas Roadhouse got COVID and recovered, only to have nonstop ringing in his ear (tinnitus)? He killed himself because it was making him quite literally crazy. His death isn’t classified as a COVID death, but I find it difficult to suggest that COVID didn’t play a major role in why he died.

2 Likes

No. It does not.

People shouldn’t freak out too much. This would be a great number only two weeks ago. It seems there’s a small cluster from a gathering in New Taipei City, but no reason to believe it won’t get under control. As always, follow the weekly trends.

2 Likes

Not freakin out at all. :slight_smile:

However, there are a lot of gatherings happening now with things opening up and people letting their guards down. Could easily swing back up.

Just yesterday I noticed how people start talking on the MRT again, like the virus is gone for good. Some are still in protective mode with face shields and all, others are seemingly moving on (prematurely?).

2 Likes

They could also say, “Man who was already really sick died with Covid.” :wink:

1 Like

It’s not known yet how common tinnitus is as a symptom of COVID-19,

In one case study, published in the British journal BMJ, a 45-year-old man with no history of auditory issues presented tinnitus and sudden hearing loss while being treated for COVID-19. The man was treated with steroids, which resulted in partial return of his hearing.

According to the study, “There are only a few reported cases of hearing loss following COVID-19.”

In another incident, reported in the journal PMC, a 35-year-old patient in Qatar reported experiencing hearing loss and tinnitus while suffering from COVID-19 — symptoms which remained after the infection abated.

“Currently, there is little evidence published connecting novel coronavirus and tinnitus directly,” the case study said. “But according to the American Tinnitus Association, preexisting behavioral conditions make it more likely for patients to experience tinnitus due to the stress and depression associated with social isolation and infection avoidance.”

Seems like the ATA are of the opinion, that preexisting medical conditions being exacerbated by Covid measures themselves are the cause, not Covid.

Jesus. Stop it with the letting guard down already! It’d be fun to do a data crawl of the site and see how many times in 20 months we’ve dropped the “letting the guard down” collocation.

Let people live their lives before the Delta gets here. Let people talk on the MRT. Let people run and jump in the fields. Let people go bungee jumping naked for all I care.

Jesus though, those partitions in the Family Mart
how pathetic are they? Who are we kidding here?

7 Likes

Latest adverse reactions. I think he means ‘yesterday,’ not ‘tomorrow.’