Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

Being forced to stay in a quarantine hotel (solitary confinement) because of being a “close contact” is, in fact, being detained against your will. Does habeas corpus exist in Taiwan?

1 Like

You guys are late to the party. These changes were announced back in mid-July. As posted by @tando yesterday:

Look at what is going on here:

The new measure is an attempt to prevent people who are in isolation from spreading the virus to their family members or roommates, Ko said.

About one-third of the domestic COVID-19 cases recorded in the city have been identified as infections within households, city government data showed.

They are trying to stop chains of transmissions in families/folks in shared flats, which is a key way this wily virus has spread.

Guy

5 Likes

Yep and Mid-July is when I deleted the tracing app and forgot my phone number. Who will pay the $50k daily fine for delayed projects if I ran across an infected one in 711? Who will take care of my kids? What about my pets?

Only option is to become untraceable since the government doesn’t give any answers. And by the way, once this was announced we called the Covid hotline and they couldn’t provide any answers, they couldn’t even say what would happen to my kids if wife and I were in contact.

3 Likes

Lmao. You have a smartphone and are seemingly part of a very small minority in Taiwan in 2021.
I hate to break this to you but you are still very, very traceable.

Bad look, but do what makes you feel like you have the upper-hand I guess?

Swear to god, seems so many of us here think we are so much more important than we actually are to the world at large.

5 Likes

There are facilities for your pets in Taipei City. Gee, we are not savages.

Yes, wife and kids would also need to isolate.

And before the mAh freedom argument, please think two weeks if your time versus 3000 sick people a day and the Reaper playing lottery with the souls. How would you feel if your coworker gets sick and is disabled/dies from the bug?

We are doing an exchange for the greater good but I understand that may freedom comes first. Or the 500k. Whatever.

It is not a different culture matter or being sheep. Or an authoritarian government. Today for you, tomorrow for me.

But they are tracking me?! Servers are limited, you know. It is not an Enemy of the State scenario. Get real.

This is Taiwan. They survived real Martial Law.

5 Likes

They obviously mean close contacts. It’d be impossible to quarantine hundreds of random contacts in passing.

1 Like

So, if I get tossed into a Q Hotel for 14 days, am I being made to pay the cost of same. Them hotels are not cheap.

Nobody’s being tossed anywhere. Let’s all just chill da fuk out. :fish_cake:

4 Likes

It’s not all or nothing. We can still protect people. I don’t mind quarantine at all and completely support the extra testing. However, I don’t think it’s right that we are paying inflated prices for these terrible hotels when we have empty apartments at home. Forcing someone to rent a mobile phone for a 12 year old who is quarantining with their mother is not right. The phone rental places are lined up as you exit the plan looking for people to shake down. Couples should be able to quarantine together especially with the extra testing. I had a PCR test prior to flight, spit test at the airport, rapid test at the hotel, then the final PCR test.
The way they are doing the PCR tests in the busses is barbaric. If they are terrified of testing us, they can watch us take our own sample and not touch us at all.
If we question anything at all, we are ridiculed with “mAh freedom” or saying we want to kill people to shut down the conversation.

12 Likes

People cant be trusted to quarantine at home, thats the problem. Especially with the DELTA

5 Likes

Now that our Alpha outbreak has been effectively extinguished, watch for people to forget what those early days were like, and get restless and complain again, and push for looser restrictions on stuff like quarantines again. And then rinse and repeat when we have our next outbreak.

But, do I have to pay the $$$ if I shared the lift with my neighbour who was later found to be positive? I am not against the Q, just being forced to pay for something that someone else decides that I must endure. It’s different from the arriving traveller as that can be avoided by not travelling.

2 Likes

Government should compensate all quarantine expenses including hotel stays, THAT I do agree with.

8 Likes

I disagree. I don’t think your concerns are unreasonable.

This on the other hand…

4 Likes

I highly doubt you’d be forced to pay cent one for a quarantine caused by accidental exposure. No one in their right mind would pay that bill.

2 Likes

Just having gone through the airport I would say that its just a matter of time before Delta will be here. Especially the “special” taxi thing seems questionable. There is nothing special about the taxis and the drivers only defense is a standard mask. With the trips taking anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours its almost certain at some point a driver will get infected.

Id rather pay a security guard to sit 24/7 outside my home door to prove I am home than paying a shitty quarantine hotel $10k a day (we are a family).

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Chances of survival with Covid

For sure. Delta just got into NZ from an infected person opening their door in a quarantine hotel. Virus jumped out and into the next door room. It’s that dangerous.

1 Like

They’ll come and disinfect them, take to a shelter. Maybe they’ll do the same to your kids? Just kidding about the kids.

That allegedly happened a few times in Quarantine Hotels in Australia, before Delta had been heard of.

1 Like