Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

I have no problem with wearing masks outside if that was decreasing infections. Is it really? If we can all go dine indoors for 2 hours with masks off but in the park we can’t remove them in this infernal August heat? Even an insane person would now this logic.

No problem keeping everything closed if it makes sense. No problem opening small business if it makes sense. Just don’t tell me the virus is in inertia only when dining. But it is inertial as soon as we step foot out of the restaurant and we are alone in a park. The same way the closing of beaches and national park has been a nonsense if we were keeping department stores, facial spas etc open. Give me a break.

10 Likes

I am not against wearing masks when there are people about, such as in shopping areas, food courts, Public Transport, etc, and I was wearing them in those situations before this whole show started almost 18 months ago, but out in the middle of a park with nobody within 100 metres in the stifling weather, is ridiculous, even with level 3. As it stands right now, simply lowering the mask to have a drink of water from a bottle could result in the Cops getting edgy.

5 Likes

Will beaches open for swimming under this new level 2.

1 Like

I agree. I guess I’m just happy SOME things are opening up. Anything is better than this current purgatory. I think the mask mandate will be the last thing to go. We’ll probably be wearing them into 2023… “new normal.” :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah, but if we keep up the good work soon they’ll be able to rename the new Level 2 as Level 1, with similar restrictions as Level 3 but a name that sounds better. :blush:

5 Likes

Very true.
They need to think more about people’s health and wellness during pandemic prevention rather than just money.
At the same time wearing a mask is something that is wise in many situations . But outside on a mountain ? How about swimming and beaches and rivers ?
.Let’s not be stupid about this when you re allowing people to eat in restaurants !

3 Likes

ha, at this rate, by 2023, many of us who go outdoors a lot might have mask tanlines :joy: :gun:

5 Likes

Masks indoors, I fully understand–fair enough. And even outdoors in close proximity-- a group of fellas playing chess on the park, or using excercise equipment. Or at night markets with hundreds of others around. Ok, it’s low risk, but they’re close enough so it’s still a slight risk.

But me having to wear one when cycling dozens of feet away from someone is pointless. Just change the ruling to “wear mask when indoors or a crowded place”. When you’re away from everyone else, don’t worry about it.

17 Likes

Looks like the Salt Lick in Hualien is planning to open soon, with plexiglass for your (perception of) safety.

8 Likes

And some think this government is the bees knees, they’ve done a great job blablabla. Bloody useless.

5 Likes

Exactly, thats just common sense, but seems to be too easy for them.

2 Likes

Yeah the barriers can help…somewhat…I guess. But the real question is - are they going to have proper airflow throughout the restaurant? How is their ventilation?

2 Likes

I think you might need to start a “Government Humbug” thread!

Guy

5 Likes

I’ve got my bets placed that beaches, surfing and swimming will remain closed.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep them closed, so that’s what they will decide because nothing make sense anymore.

They will decree something along the lines of, “Masks are required outside and you can’t surf or swim with a mask on, so the beaches and water sports will remain closed”.

Just watch.

8 Likes

Checkmate, muthaf****as.

6 Likes

Opening indoor dining but I have to wear a mask while biking alone in the mountains (in 36c heat)? In what world does that make any logical sense?

I fully support masks indoors and in outdoor situations where distancing is poor, but if they’re really going to “lower the alert level” it has to be done with some level of care and logic. Yet, this is what many other countries have done. Just open things up when the government can’t stand to subsidize the businesses and/or people anymore. Keep the illogical restrictions because they don’t cost anything.

What is Taiwan’s angle on the virus then, exactly? How does it spread? Not in workplaces, not in maskless indoor dining, but on riverside paths and beaches?

14 Likes

I would wear this if I could surf.

3 Likes

Sorry dude. It looks like beaches/seaside places are out because you can’t wear a mask.

戶外空間
休閒農場、森林遊樂區及步道、遊樂風景區、國家公園文化園區
1.休閒農場內附設的釣魚場/釣蝦場開放。
2.山屋營地暫不開放。
3.無法全程配戴口罩的水域活動(海邊、沙灘、水域設施)不開放。

5 Likes

I’ve read the barriers may make things worse, because they in fact limit ventilation, although there’s still a lot of uncertainty around it. And I’d say they’re almost definitely a distraction from the main concern - which, as you say, is ventilation and airflow.

Bloomberg being “Pointless and possibly even dangerous” on plastic barriers:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-08/fortunes-spent-on-plastic-shields-with-no-proof-they-stop-covid

WebMD being “Eh, why not?” on the topic:

5 Likes

Listen to the daily presser.