Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

They have provided Taiwan with 12 years of labour. Then all they get as recognition is to be sent home.

USA, Australia, UK after that time you would be able to apply for a level of residency that would provide you with certainty of your future.

3 Likes

The Irish gentleman may certainly have died of COVID. But the news report actually stated:

“The deceased man reportedly had a history of hypertension and obesity…
The cause of the man’s death is not yet known and an investigation will be carried out to determine the exact cause of death.”

So maybe he died of COVID, but we can’t honestly say one way or the other just yet. Have to wait until the doctors inform us on actual cause.

1 Like

Sure he was just walking around with eight illnesses for years and just happened to drop dead on the street the day he got COVID.

The doctors won’t be able to tell you anything more than that. A number of illnesses contributed, but it’s awfully hard to imagine he wouldn’t be walking around a while yet if he didn’t get COVID. Pretty impossible, really.

3 Likes

The article didn’t say he had ‘eight illnesses’ or got COVID ‘that day.’ I don’t know where you got that information.

Anyway, I just linked the article, which says: “The cause of the man’s death is not yet known…”

I don’t see any problem with not speculating on the actual cause of death, and deferring to the official report. Maybe he died of COVID, but we don’t know actually yet. They say he definitely tested positive for COVID though.

If you prefer to believe he died of COVID, that’s fine with me, really! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doesn’t that happen with everyone who dies? They walk around for years with their illness and then they drop down dead one day.

Happens every day of the week.

3 Likes

At the beginning of this outbreak in Taiwan there were regular updates of the case numbers within specific districts in Taipei and New Taipei. Does anyone know if that list is still bein released? I’ve tried looking on the CECC website but can’t find it.

True for some.

“Hypertension in overweight or obese subjects, however, emerged as the key factor leading to a significant increase in the risk of CVD (cardiovascular disease) mortality.”

Cardiovascular Mortality in Overweight Subjects: The Key Role of Associated Risk Factors

Hypertension, plus obesity, plus COVID. Can’t be good :frowning:

Covid sudden death syndrome? That would be scary. Usually people get hospitalised first

I didn’t claim anyone didn’t die of Covid. I corrected your certainty that he did die of Covid.

Common things are more common.

As far as anybody knows, COVID doesn’t kill in that way. Although Brian’s low O2sat theory is vaguely plausible, the fact is that when people in that condition die on the street it’s almost always a common-or-garden heart attack (or stroke, or aneurism, or similar). That doesn’t mean COVID didn’t have something to do with it, but saying “he would be alive today if he hadn’t caught COVID” seems a bit of a stretch to me.

I guess we’ll never know for sure because the stats aren’t broken down to this level. Which is a pity - it would be informative.

1 Like

We can easily turn it around and say that the guy died of obesity when he caught Covid. Without the obesity he wouldn’t have died.

1 Like

I don’t see the 12 years limitation without citizenship path as inherently immoral. We could argue that but it probably belongs in another thread.

Of more concern here would be if Taiwan law does not allow these laborers due process, protection via workplace safety etc. - or of course unfair treatment by pandemic measures.

Because the way taiwanese government works is its either freedom for everyone or for none. Because restricting movement of one area would make people there feel discrimated against others. Level 3 all over taiwan would “make everyone feel part of same bucket” and none of the demographic would complain in particular. You know freedom for all is the policy here. Such weird policies and rules are the reasons why we are ending up here now.

1 Like

FIFY

5 Likes

It’s actually a thing. They die within two days as their O2 levels plummet suddenly .

Need to make it an initialism. CSDS. Or, even better, an acronym like CiSDS. Sounds a bit like AIDS.

1 Like

PCR test for all arrivals.

2 Likes

CiSDS are doing it for themselves.

2 Likes

365 days late. But better later than never.

2 Likes

“with” covid, "from"covid.

OK,

You’re making a distinction.

You’re saying: we don’t actually know if covid was the cause of death.

Right?

Technically correct. But we do know that people with underlying health conditions are more susceptible to the virus. If a person with diebetes + hypertension + covid drops dead, it is virtually impossible to determine the exact cause of death.

For that reason, I err on the side of caution.

A man collapses, is rushed to hospital, dies, then later tests positive for covid…

That’s Covid. We can split hairs at a later date.

1 Like

Yes but now released by each separate local government.

I like the one from New Taipei as it tells what kind of contagion is predominant. Mostly family.

From Pingtung as they had no cases they reported on testing

I recommend linking to your district or municipality LINE acct to get the latest data.

2 Likes