Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

Some people in red states wouldn’t even get vaccinated, let alone wear a mask.

The science behind masks isn’t as clear.

It’s frustrating.

I am glad Taiwan is vaxxing at quick rates, even though case counts are low and returning to zero.

So you got a time traveling lathe now?

2 Likes

I wasn’t given an explanation by EVA but my guess is too many people cancelled their seats when it was announced that PCR tests would be required at the airport. As long as people keeping doing stupid getting home and conducting business is going to continue to be a struggle.

I’m no scientist but seeing nobody wearing masks in public one day with Delta afoot and then seeing a spike in cases thirteen days later was no surprise to me.

In TW? The requirement for testing on arrival and 2 tests during quarantine has been around for over a month.

If people are cancelling their trips to TW, I’d guess it’s because of the situation there in general (who wants to go back to semi-lockdown if they can avoid it) or that home quarantine is no longer allowed and people don’t want to pay $20,000+ for a 14 day stay in a firetrap hotel. It probably also doesn’t help that vaxxed and unvaxxed travelers are treated the same and I’d assume most people coming from the US have been vaxxed.

2 Likes

I’m in the United States, where the virus was completely out of control.

And even then, I wasn’t refreshing my browser every five minutes to see when they were available, like you guys are all doing.

When the President telling people the vaccine was available to the general public came up on my news feed, I made an appointment.

1 Like

July 1, 2021

In response to spread of Delta variant globally, Taiwan to tighten health monitoring measures for people entering Taiwan via airport/port starting 12:00 pm on July 2

On July 1, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that starting 12:00 pm on July 2 (time of arrival in Taiwan), it will tighten health monitoring measures for people entering Taiwan via airport/port. Details about such measures are listed below.

A. Arriving travelers who have visited key high-risk countries in the past 14 days, after they enter Taiwan via airport or port, will be required to quarantine in group quarantine facilities for 14 days, with accommodation fees paid by the government, and undergo PCR tests for COVID-19 upon checking in at group quarantine facilities and at the end of their quarantine period. Furthermore, such travelers will be required to take a rapid home test between the 10th day and 12th day of their quarantine period.
B. Arriving travelers who have not visited key high-risk countries in the past 14 days will be required to take a deep-throat saliva test and a PCR test upon arrival at an airport or a port in Taiwan and to take a quarantine vehicle to a quarantine hotel or a group quarantine facility where they plan to complete quarantine at their own expense for the 14-day quarantine after taking the tests; such travelers shall also undergo a PCR test before the end of their quarantine (between the 12th and 14th day of the quarantine period) and take a rapid home test between the 10th day and 12th day of their quarantine period.

I thought that’s been in place for over a month.

But anyway, I think the general situation and home quarantine nonsense is the biggest deterrent.

TW should allow vaxxed travelers to do a test on arrival and 7 day quarantine at home, with a final test on day 6. This is scientifically sensible, and it would send a message to people that getting vaxxed has real benefits.

4 Likes

Just weird you don’t even live here and you’re telling us we can “wait.” I’m not sticking my nose in Thailand’s business or [insert random country]’s affairs and telling them they can wait. Because I don’t live there and don’t know their situation. Maybe if you actually lived here and you were still unvaxxed, your hashtags would carry a little more weight.

5 Likes

I worked out at my Fitness Factory yesterday and today.

#Taiwancanwait for what ?

Have you even ever been to Taiwan?

The news cycle is 80% about vaccines these days an+ people are desperate about the situation

3 Likes

I want to go, but my wife turned it into a federal issue so I’m going to hold off for a couple more weeks… sigh.

1 Like

Nice way to cook the books.

It was a humbling experience. I couldn’t lift anything and I’m the lightest I’ve been in living memory.

1 Like

It’s not the PCR tests. It’s the quarantine hotel requirement. I have a 50 ping apartment but will need to pay 2-3k USD to stay locked in a room.
I wouldn’t mind if they tested me every day if I could quarantine at home.
I’m being punished for other jerks breaking quarantine.

6 Likes

Same here. I really want to get back to doing proper workouts, and I’ve lost a huge amount of muscle mass. At my (our?) age you have to run to keep still … or vegetate.

1 Like

Yes, you are.

Just like after 9/11 and other attempted terror attacks, we were all punished by having to take off our shoes, and not allowed liquids or nail clippers on board, or having to endure extra long lines at security.

Just like in that situation, again the authorities have no way of separating the 99% of people like you who are good, from the 1% of jerks who will break quarantine so they apply the same strict measures to everyone.

It’s unfortunate but as the saying goes one bad apple ruins the bunch.

2 Likes

But having vaxxed people quarantine for 14 days is just stupid.

6 Likes

It took me a lot of effort to find and sync a decent quarantine hotel and flight and I just don’t have the will to go thru it all again for the time being, particularly since I’m fully vaxed with Pfizer and don’t think subjecting me to such precautions serves any purpose. Even after being poked, prodded and isolated, when I finally hit the streets again I’d have trouble doing my business since it involves going to factories, getting machined parts done, testing and assembly. I’m just going to sit it out for another month or three until things hopefully get better.

3 Likes

Maybe those that made this illogical law are worried about people pretending they have been vaccinated. I’ve also read (correct me if I’m wrong) that the vaccines don’t totally prevent people being able to pass the virus, especially the delta variant, to others.

2 Likes