Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

That’s bizarre.

Here’s hoping @Brianjones was not frequenting Wanhua . . .

Guy

I’m not that old…Come on .
But I feel bad a fellow citizen died like that and yes I am curious if I know them but I don’t know anybody at that exact age I think.

2 Likes

I know (or had guessed, anyway), but 58 isn’t that old. And it’s very young to be dying so suddenly from a disease that doesn’t seem to usually work that way.

1 Like

It’s unusual to drop dead like that. Pre existing condition , not dealing with till last minute?
Although some people with preexisting conditions can die within 48 hours of symptoms.
Anyway RIP.

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking that.

And I can also see myself being the kind of person who stays at home muttering “No, I’m fine, I’ll get over it” until too late. A catastrophic and yet easy mistake to make.

2 Likes

Me also but the wife would be standing over me at the end saying “I told you to use your NHI card, now you just wast the money”.

3 Likes

Welp, this didn’t take long…first day. People use a loophole to try and sneak off and quarantine at home.

1 Like

Typical of hukou nationals here; based on reported trend.

It said they were found out a couple hours after returning home? So were they taken to a hotel. Another trip in a taxi? Yikes.

Fine them so much, that their grandchildren will still be paying off the debt in 50 years.

1 Like

Yeah! Something serious like 10,000 nt. That’ll show them!

3 Likes

It’s better to post in this format: 88+1. Then we know how many are local infections, which is the more important number.

1 Like

Here it says 300 just in the morning just from the US of A.

“ The first day of the new rule saw chaos at the country’s points of entry. Among the 300 arrivals from the U.S. in the morning, a dozen passengers only started to book their stays upon arrival, while some insisted on home-based isolation because they refused to spend NT$2,000 (US$72) a night on accommodation at centralized quarantine centers, wrote UDN.”

Why stop there? Surely it’s time to bring back public executions. Or we could issue the selfrighteous with machetes, and have them sent out to do their duty. Worked for Rwanda, I hear.

4 Likes

This BS should been sorted long ago, it’s been an ongoing issue. The staff checking forms in arrivals apparently don’t have a system linked to the list of official quarantine hotels therefore you can simply say you’re staying in a quarantine hotel and give your home, or any, address and the staff have no way to verify.

I wasn’t being 100% literal, but the point is fines are too light. If the fines are too light, then people will continue to break the rules and the virus will continue to spread. I think you know this, but I know you couldn’t wait to type that clever crack about Rwanda. That was really clever and witty. Totally got me there, dude! :+1: I look forward to your next post implying I’m in favor of Gold Stars sewn on shirts.

2 Likes

Actually, when you fill the health declaration form online, there is a list of quarantine hotels that you have to choose from after you select the city/county, but it looks like there is an “other” option, which is a loophole that should be removed. Also, I had to show the booking confirmation provided by the quarantine hotel to the CDC staff at the airport. Not sure if they actually checked whether the booking matched the hotel listed on the declaration form though.

1 Like

I got that you were not being literal.

1 Like

You’re okay in my book, Dave.