Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

You didn’t pay for my opinion but you got it.

And you also got mine. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Learn what? A lot of people here have been calling for “Level 4” measures. Well, this is what level 4 looks like (although only for people who are less likely to fight back). If any good comes out of the Miaoli situation, I hope people start to realise that fear-driven policies lead to a very dark place.

2 Likes

Anyone know why this was brought up at the presser? Nothing has really changed with regards to foreigners ability to enter really, those entering for work, business, have ARC, or certain special circumstances so not sure why it needed to be mentioned again.

EDIT: Found article from few weeks ago…only those with ARC and special circumstances allowed in, my bad.

That tweet just says proper residence permits. Are they not allowing anyone to enter on business trips anymore? They were letting people in for short-term trips for business. Maybe that’s what has changed. I think they can still get visas if they find employment while outside Taiwan.

As far as I am aware those on business trips (at least from low-risk countries) are still allowed in…hopefully someone else can chime in and clarify it, unless this has changed this past few weeks then I probably missed it.

EDIT:
So I suppose no business travelers allowed. Only ARC and special cases allowed…must of had a brain fart when this was announced, my bad.

entry of foreigners without effective residency permits will be temporarily banned.

Yes business trips are mostly suspended. When we went to level 3, BOCA suspended short-term visa applications through Jun 18 (effectively until Jun 21). People could still enter on a previously approved visa - they just have not been granting new ones. CECC extended level 3 by 2 weeks (so far) but hasn’t changed the visa ban end date yet.

Travel from low- and medium-risk countries only shortened the quarantine requirements AFAIK.

1 Like

I have just spoken to Tapei Representative Office in London and was told that they are not issuing visas at the moment, no matter if you have got a work permit or any other documents. The decision will be review on 18th of June by Taiwanese government.

4 Likes

In other news, due to WFH and increased cooking at home, bok choy prices have risen 454%, from 11 to 61 NTD.

In neighborhood news, a neighbor who is also a vendor at the local market went to Hualien to Bai Bai with the whole family…

3 Likes

I saw someone smoking up the whole street burning ghost money. I guess he wanted to accelerate climate change.

1 Like

This is no time to stop funding the ancestors.

1 Like

Was it one of those big industrial size ghost money burners? Every time I see one of those I think, what a waste of steel, that could, with some modifications, be a perfectly good coffee roaster.

No, just a regular household ghost money burner. They would make a good bbq smoker.

They just built a fancy block of apartments up the street from me. No one has moved in yet, they seem to be in an endless finishing stage. The concierge of this empty luxury apartment block, wheels one of those big metal mothers, with the chimney, out onto the pavement on holy days and smokes up the whole street. Presumably this appeases all the old money apartment owners, who are not yet even present.

Don’t agree with you on many things but here I do.

2 Likes

So building designers never think to make a better ghost money burner with scrubbers in them so they dont cause air pollution?

Maybe that would take away the flavour?

Last thing we want is a bunch of spectral ancestors thinking they’ve lost their sense of taste.

1 Like

With the numbers in TP/NTP still so high why are they allowed travel to other counties ?

I think the movement should be restricted out of TP/NTP since we are being restricted ANYWAY.

Govt needs to use some sensible policies and not leave big gaps as usual until they can get the numbers down in Taipei . Otherwise Taipei keeps infecting rest of the country. There’s little spread in the rest of the country so far. I’m pissed off at the way they are approaching this.

Central Taiwan has what, 5 million pop, South…7 million…They need to figure out a proper strategy to prevent seeding those areas.

3 Likes

Taiwan: semiconductor powerhouse, burgeoning AI skills centre for Google, and world leading biotech expert.

And burns fake money because they are afraid of ghosts.

4 Likes