Coronavirus - Taiwan Open November/December 2021

taiwan will not follow US guidance on 5 day quarantine for omicron cases because some have been found to be infectious 12 days after positive tests.

Dentist Chen showing Fauci who the boss is. Getting upstaged in medical advice by a dentist. Whats Fauci on about with the not infectious after 5 days thing then?

2 Likes

First guys out of the box were out of hotels I think on December 21. So yeah it’s started.

Guy

2 Likes

The US is in a totally different space than Taiwan. Namely:

1. The US does not have the legal means to enforce quarantine or isolation. It’s total honor system, with atrocious rates of compliance (if I recall correctly, estimated to be less than 30%); and

2. The US—like much of the rest of the world—is being overrun by cases. They need and want workers back on the job, and feel the extra infection risk is tolerable to get this done. In Taiwan, there is currently no need for this, and no appetite for it either.

In short, totally different situations.

Guy

6 Likes

17 had a Ct level of 30 or higher, meeting the standard to be released from quarantine.

So a ct value above 30 and you get released from quarantine?

So the people that tested positive when entering a hospital/going abroad in the past who had high ct values didn’t have to quarantine?

It’s a matter of probability. The “14 days” thing came from an observation that a very small percentage of infected people (something like 0.1%, IIRC) still tested positive with the original strain(s) at 13, 14 days. That doesn’t mean they were still infectious of course, but jumping to unjustified conclusions is par for the course in our “follow the science” world.

So: on the assumption that 1 in 1000 genuinely infected people might test positive at 14 days, and you have (for the sake of argument) a million people arriving by air over the course of a year of whom 1 in 1000 develop COVID during quarantine, you have a single chance of an ‘escapee’ during the year. Given Taiwan’s zero-COVID stance, that’s one too many.

Omicron seems to burn out somewhat quicker than the original variants, but Chen is invariably six months behind the international research. I doubt he even reads most of it.

that’s what I mean, I heard you can test positive after X amount of time, but not be infectious, but according to Chen you can.

Yeah, he really does seem to just make this stuff up. This is, after all, a country where “don’t drink cold water” passes for sound medical advice.

OTOH I wouldn’t trust Fauci as far as I could kick him. He just makes stuff up too.

My wife’s friend works for EVA freight and she says all the employees got 14 months’ bonus. 1.5mllion NT in her case.

7 Likes

It is nice that the company recognized their efforts. Vilified by society, separated from their families, constant stress added to an already stressful job.

Imagine quarantine after quarantine after quarantine…really messed up. And we really need them.

It is not as glamorous as it is touted nor all pilots are bed hopping jerks.

6 Likes

Its all of the EVA Freight people, so those people who work on the apron in the heat and cold loading aircraft get a good bonus too, for what has been an extremely busy year or so for them. The freight has kept EVA afloat and no doubt CAL as well, good that the workers get a slice of the cake.

7 Likes

keep freaking out in taiwan

3 Likes

It seems to me that if complications and deaths are low overall, and vaccinations/previous infections are relatively low, then humans (or at least South Africans) have naturally robust immunity to omicron.

1 Like

0 + 41 = 41 and no deaths.

6 Likes

41… my god. Omicron is a beast.

5 Likes

Wow. The 25 yesterday already seemed high.

I’m glad the university semester is ending in a couple of weeks. I hope everyone enjoys our virus-free status while it lasts!

4 Likes

I can’t do lockdown again… :cry: I am psychologically not prepared for a return to level 3 or 4.

8 Likes

Daily life, I’d be OK, but I don’t have kids to worry about. Teaching online, ugh. It’s manageable but the semester never recovered from that start - all of my classes have slightly “off” chemistry this year.

A couple of months ago I thought we wouldn’t have a lockdown (or whatever it should be called) again, but now, when I look at that lower vaccination rate amongst the elderly … I fear it’ll happen. Infuriatingly and unnecessarily.

Don’t panic, its all in Quarantine. (And hopefully doesnt leak out).

2 Likes

Oh, not panicking, but the higher that number, the more the risk points. It is coming here eventually - it’s just a question of when.

Not so much panic as an “Ah f*ck, here we go.”

1 Like

The vast majority of today’s cases appear to be caught at the day 0 test, which is good news. The earlier the better

1 Like