Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

More English-language details about the EVA pilots, emphasis added:

After returning from an earlier long-haul flight from Chicago, the pilot was required to follow a seven-day enhanced self-health management guidelines for fully vaccinated pilots, as issued by the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC). However, the pilot left his home on multiple occasions to meet with friends and family in Hsinchu and Taoyuan.

The pilot violated the guidelines by going out for meals with friends during his self-health management period, and by not alerting the local health bureau prior to seeking medical treatment at a clinic, as he was required to do, EVA Airways said.

In addition, despite developing symptoms on Aug 28, the pilot disregarded them and falsified his preflight health declaration form to co-pilot a cargo flight to Brisbane on Aug. 30, the airline said.

11 Likes

Well…. that’s… great. :unamused:

This just gets better and better… flight attendants who were in “close contact” are now in quarantine as are their family members.

Sounds like these married pilots were screwing around, just like the scumbag pilot from last December.

2 Likes
4 Likes

EVA cancelling its Chicago - TPE route doesn’t do anything to punish the pilot. It punishes everyone who was going to get on those planes in the coming weeks and months and the goods that were going to be shipped in the belly of the plane.

I am out for blood. This pilot should be criminally prosecuted and have his retirement funds frozen in the meantime.

4 Likes

Fire them all and EVA should have major fines applied.

This is why they call Taiwan a low trust society. There’s a reason for everything.

People here are very good at calling out Westerners and foreigners for having poor morals but it’s all BS. Look at all the massage shops everywhere.

5 Likes

The pilot story wouldn’t even be news in most countries , but because the aim is covid zero here it is. This whole policy is relying on everyone behaving and following rules to the letter and praying there are no accidental or unforseen ways the virus could get in.

2 Likes

the CDC has said there is no strategy for covid 0, but controlled covid. That’s what they are doing.

2 Likes

It’s not forever but right now they should be keeping those pilots on a short leash like everybody else. We just spent the whole summer under shitty restrictions. We need vaccination numbers to go up first.

7 Likes

I agree. That said, it is a bit concerning that all three infected pilots were fully vaccinated though. My own sister-in-law just had a breakthrough infection. Of course you’re much less likely to get seriously ill with a breakthrough infection, but it does make me wonder just how effective these vaccines are at stemming transmission, especially Delta.

They aren’t great at stopping infection but they are useful still and few vaccinated are getting seriously sick, and that’s the important stat . Probably the T cell immunity is helping there.

2 Likes

It’s been said since the beginning that vaccines aren’t that effective at stopping transmission but it’s very effective in preventing serious illness. Coronavirus is basically cold and we all know how transmittable cold is. So there is no way you can stop its transmission. But we can make it so that it’s just a cold instead of needing oxygen and stuff.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree with all that. You know I’m very pro-vax. But the lack of immunity is disappointing, I can’t lie. I have a feeling these vaccines will be tweaked over the next few years to be more effective against the variants.

Again, at some point we’re just going to have to accept that transmission will happen regardless, but vaccine’s job is to stop you from getting seriously ill. Even breakthrough infection for the original strain is still there, let alone delta. But with higher vaccination we won’t be seeing mass deaths or overwhelmed medical system.

The reason deaths in America is so high is because of idiots who refuse vaccination, even though there is a huge surplus of vaccines.

Given that probably half the long haul EVA pilots get to mix with bare faced and possibly unvaccinated workers at US Airports and other places there, its hardly any surprise that they are carrying the bug back with them.

5 Likes

It’s no surprise at all and the real problem is that these pilots won’t stick to the plan and like to go AWOL and have fun with disregard to the rules.

8 Likes

If there’s no coordination with apparently maskless ground crew in places like Chicago, trouble with persist.

Guy

1 Like

2 + 4 = 6 and no deaths.

5 Likes

Were the two new local cases already in quarantine? I can’t quite figure it out from today’s press release . . .

Guy

Why’s he coming after the massage shops?

What’d the massage shops ever do to you? :astonished:

1 Like