Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

I think folks need to settle down a bit here and see how this plays out.

I am no fan of Delta outbreaks, but I am also aware that the CECC is not an arm of the Taoyuan Prosecutors Office. The CECC is attempting to manage public health, not fill Taoyuan’s prisons.

Guy

3 Likes

I’m tired of being told to settle down when it’s the third time this has happened. It’s either sheer incompetence or willful negligence at this point. Probably a healthy dose of both.

8 Likes

Look around the world, specifically to island states that had previously done a pretty decent job. They—think NZ or Australia—have seen Delta breaches too. It’s been disastrous in places like Vietnam. I hope it doesn’t get to that. But calling for blood on an English-language forum is unlikely to help.

As non policy people, unfortunately we can only wait and see, and try to keep ourselves informed . . .

Guy

4 Likes

Every policy has to have cost-benefit and risk management analyses.

We can’t make everything 0 risk or we do risk doing damage elsewhere.

We’re still doing better than most countries.

Let’s watch and see.

5 Likes

Calling for criminal prosecution is not “calling for blood.” And you’re right, it’s unlikely to help, but does anything we say on these boards help anything ever? It’s discussion and some venting. When has “helping” been a metric by which discourse here is measured?

I get your point. But forumosa can work really well in:

1. letting us know what is going on (i.e. aggregating, assessing, and disentangling new information); and
  1. supporting and helping forumosans get through this—sometimes with humour, sometimes a bit sharply. It’s hard enough to make our way through life in Taiwan, and hopefully we can be there to help.

Guy

2 Likes

As far as I can figure, he was within the (then) rules about being with his family - so he shouldn’t be pilloried for that (as for the attacking the then-rules themselves, well, that’s another issue). BUT he broke the rules by going out “to eat with friends at a crowded place”, and also he “filled out misleading information before flying out to Brisbane”.

I don’t yet understand how dinner at “a crowded place” (singular in the article) then leads to a million+ alerts being sent out today.

English-language article about his case - but there seems to be a lot more details available in Chinese:

5 Likes

From this United Daily article:

Ongoing testing now for 1500 EVA flight crew. General screening of all pilots ongoing.

4 Likes

If you have a travel ‘bubble’ with a region that has Delta infections that’s stupid.

Just to be clear: my use of “disastrous” in the quotation above was in reference to Vietnam, where the situation went from impressive to dire as they struggle to contain the spread of Delta.

Guy

2 Likes

Had to turn off the TV and will try not to look at the Line feed. The press is going bonkers.

So better wait for official word from CECC, as usual.

Betcha a moon cake tomorrow’s presser will be a riot.

1 Like

Wise idea I think, especially with the social media stuff.

Actually, my feed is quiet from people. It is the media going full throttle.

How long they gonne need to test 1 million+ people? 1 month?

The text messages sent out to folks (the now famous 1.1 million!) are not calling for everyone of those folks to get tested.

Guy

Than what? Stay home?

For real-world examples and discussion, have a look over here:

Guy

1 Like

That’s kind a moot.

In other words, no Symptoms means no need to get tested - as it used to be months back in the Zero days.

1 Like

The Taiwanese demographic of my social media is quiet as well. It’s here, and the Taiwan sub-Reddit, that are freaking out the most. Unless we start seeing growing chains from it I think that’ll remain the case.

1 Like