Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

My hypothesis then is they got infected together at some event or some gathering. But where?

Guy

That’s what people in the boonies do.

Unfortunately this virus does not sleep.

Guy

For the last time, there is no “zero-covid” policy.

6 Likes

Yesterday while doing the QR code thing at a department store a couple breezed pass me through the door without bothering.

Passed a basketball court full of teenagers playing completely maskless, not even chin diapering, then crowding around cellphones maskless to watch each other play online games.

The electronic temp taker/alcohol sprayer at my apartment building ran out of alcohol days ago, nobody bothered to refill it, and now doesn’t even record temps.

This will go on until the next outbreak when the MRT and the streets empty again.

6 Likes

The amount of dumb sh&t I’ve seen in the past couple of days in Taipei has been startling.

Folks seem to be either genuinely unaware or blithely unconcerned about the Delta breach . . .

Guy

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of what they said, but it’s hard to think of a more opaque way to say it:

Taiwan Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) head Chen Chih-chung (陳時中) on Tuesday Aug. 24) said Taiwan was not pursuing a “zero-COVID” policy, but added it’s a direction the country has been taking all along.

Chen said, “Getting cases down to zero is not the goal, but it’s a direction that hasn’t changed.”

Especially when they’re trying to track down every case, closing restaurants and public events, locking up migrant workers, and sending the chemical warfare troops to spray every store/beach/whatever visited by a plague victim. I wonder what a zero-COVID policy would look like?

Maybe “unpursued zero-COVID direction” would be an acceptable alternative?

I think those things were already acknowledged to be wildly inaccurate anyway? Didn’t even the government say something criticizing them a month or so ago? It’s just theater. (Although the hand sanitizer function maybe wouldn’t hurt.)

2 Likes

IMO an actual zero-covid policy would look like them actually going to level 4 when it was warranted according to their initial criteria. I think this “direction” towards zero is essentially minimizing cases as much as possible without impacting businesses such that it would require subsidizing people’s incomes, which isn’t happening. I don’t agree at all with locking up migrant workers, but you see such strict measures because there will be little-to-no outcry among either the general public or “the bosses”. There’s a reason they never actually mandated WFH, that would be a zero-covid policy.

5 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t take it to be accurate (although it usually seemed to be), I just liked to get a spritz on my hands on the way out or in. Funnily enough it always said “Normal temperature” in English, the only one I ever heard saying that. I guess the lady whose job it is to fill it couldn’t reprogram it to Chinese. And she speaks zero English.

But it’s just one more indication of the lack of vigilance. Why buy this thing if they aren’t even going to use it properly? For months we had just a spray bottle of alcohol on a stool at the door and then they set up this thing. Now it’s an expensive doorstop.

Sigh!

2 Likes

Yeah maybe, I see your point. I do feel though that the measures taken are more like a “slow zero-COVID policy”, where they’re trying to get down to zero albeit at a rate where they don’t need to pay out too much compensation to businesses/workers or totally tank the economy.

1 Like

Yes in Taiwan we are obviously seeing some sort of compromise, part way between an “Open up! Freedom Day!” approach and military on the street policing movement (a la contemporary Vietnam).

Guy

That seems like a mistake. Also, surely the families have to go into a quarantine center?

Isn’t this basically the same situation as the pilot’s kid? Didn’t the classmates have to be quarantined?

Part is uninformed. Too busy to pay attention. Still a bit behind in news. More concerned with vaccines kill bit.

Then the ones that think that vaccines make them immune.

Other is, as said, fatigued.

Either way, we’re toast.

People are currently more concerned about restrictions to bbqing.

I listened to the morning presser by Taoyuan mayor. He said they were sending tablets, moon cakes and pao mien to the families quarantined, so the kids would continue their lessons. And have something to munch on.

Dunno where they are sending the stuff though.

1 Like

9 + 7 = 16 and zero deaths.
CDC Link was delayed and is posted further down.

5 Likes

Yikes that’s a lot of domestic cases… :slightly_frowning_face:

All from the kindergarten linked to yesterday’s two cases.

5 Likes

Hopefully no Delta link I take it? Or is too early?

Alpha

3 Likes