Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

Will you have to, sorry?

I edited my message. We only do day 4 and 7.

Thankful for no pcr.

It’s a complete shambles, isn’t it?

I have negotiating with the wife who is going to take time off work to look forward to this evening.

1 Like

Apparently enough restaurants haven’t gone out of business.

1 Like

This last week or so there has been a new case at my office every day. We have hundreds of people, so it’s not that surprising

How do they decide who is a contact?

Ko has gotten to the point that he needs to wear several masks at a time, one over the other, which might then muffle what he says.

3 Likes

People who sit near them, and maybe people who ate with them at lunch.

Remember Ko aspires to be Taiwan’s President.

Our current one gets some flack on this site for not speaking out frequently. To her credit she knows how to keep her mouth shut, as opposed to mulling over everything aloud.

Guy

12 Likes

1922 told me only need to do day 1 and 4. If you want to go out from day 4 to day 7, you have to do a rapid test each day you want to go out.

School only provides 2 tests. No idea where to get others.

2 Likes

What is it you always say?

It isn’t always black and white and there is a happy medium.

Or something like that

2 Likes

FIFY

2 Likes

I suspect Ko’s off-the-cuff remarks may not quite hit that happy medium mark, especially as a President. I guess we’ll see in 2024. :person_shrugging:

Guy

As mentioned upthread, scanning QR codes to enter businesses (or providing one’s name and telephone number in writing) is no longer required, effectively immediately.

One story in Chinese (no doubt Focus Taiwan will follow up later this evening; I’ll try to replace it at that time):

UPDATE: Focus Taiwan has also included this detail in this report:

Guy

3 Likes

Chen stressed that the CECC will seek to minimize the inconvenience for travelers and crews while continuing to ensure the safety of Taiwan’s borders.

Regular passengers arriving from abroad must still enter quarantine for 10 days, followed by seven days of self-health monitoring.

Got my hopes up for a second :frowning: now to become a crew member before flying back on the 10th.

So it looks like there were more to Ko’s remarks than just about stopping indoor dining; discussion and political analysis of this in a twitter thread by Brian Hioe, starting with this one:

3 Likes

In ten days they’ll decide whether to change it for regular travelers. They already changed it for crew

4 Likes

I’ve got lucky. My kid should be in home quarantine until next Thursday - creating a lot of logistical problems. However, we were informed three days late about another kid testing positive (possibly) due to a neurotic parent testing said other kid. Therefore, now my kid only has home detention until Monday - because of the rules.

Try to your head around that.

8 Likes

Similar. My kid spent her first day of isolation at school with all the other kids. At 4 o’clock, we found out the classmate who hadn’t come was positive. They counted that as day one.

It is so weird.

There is no oversight. Nothing to stop my wife and kid going out. They haven’t and won’t. I bet a lot of people are basically just carrying on exactly the same but the kid doesn’t go to school.

Not saying we want to be watched over and checked but it all feels like ticking boxes and doing stuff for show.

3 Likes

Masks aren’t required for lecturers or people exercising at this time, correct? Hopefully those exemptions remain in place.

What else can we do? Three of my kids have been forced home at different times but they’ve always been together and all gone wherever they wanted whenever they wanted. It’s a pointless charade at this point.

1 Like