Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments July-October 2022

This jump in Imported cases looks a bit suspect to me. When it suddenly rose a week back the excuse was that some counting errors had been found and that some of the number was an adjustment. But, it’s now up heaps for a whole week - is this the latest excuse to avoid further easing of Quarantine days?

I wouldn’t be too concerned, it’s still 1% of total cases in Taiwan and I have a feeling the later will hover around the 20K level or more indefinitely. Also I posted this just 2 days ago:

2 Likes

Report Completed1

53 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on July 23, 2022

Female = 19 (35.85%)
Male = 34 (64.15%)

Age Distribution

90s = 8 (15.09%)
80s = 22 (41.51%)
70s = 8 (15.09%)
60s = 7 (13.21%)
50s = 3 (5.66%)
40s = 3 (5.66%)
30s = 2 (3.77%)

Vaccination Doses

0 doses = 25 (47.17%)
1 doses = 4 (7.55%)
2 doses = 5 (9.43%)
3 doses = 19 (35.85%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 49 (92.45%)
None = 4 (7.55%)

Vaccine Status For Deaths With No Chronic Disease History

0 doses = 3 (Ages → M-90s, M80s, F-80s)
3 doses = 1 (Ages → M-30s)

Click to see detailed cases report

Original CECC Report of 2022-07-23

7月23日新增死亡COVID-19確診個案表.pdf

Cumulative Table Of New Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?dt_name=1&downloadall=yes

6 Likes

Thanks, yes, I saw that post and link - hopefully that “CECC expert” is not serious.

Thanks again, Malcolm.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of blokes.

1 Like

Whats the latest in quarantine for arrivals? They still faffing around? No date for opening?

Edit. Nevermind just read it. 0+7 for CNY. Ffs… all this for a flu.

3 Likes

Not even. My parents (both in their mid 70s) said their experiences were like a medium-sized cold. You’re like me; we took this seriously a year ago when vaccines weren’t available and there was a more virulent strain. But ffs, if people can’t go back to normal life when they’ve had 3 or 4 shots… when can we?

7 Likes

What’s that in Starbucks sizes?

I was gonna book my flight back to England for CNY early, beat the rush. But if theres a chance i need to still quarantine then i cant.

Cant believe theyre faffing AND that Taiwanese are accepting this shit. They still have us wearing masks outdoors in this fucking heat

5 Likes

Locals can take their masks off while exercising…they just don’t want to. At the gym that is understandable. Not enough ventilation/distance. Outside, say park or beach, they do fear contagion from strangers. Not all but if you ask the masked ones they are not ready to bring their guard down.

I also see that cases are spiking in Japan. Many countries abroad just stopped counting so it is difficult to get a clear picture of what is actually going on.

Here, the more I talk to neighbors and friends, I am convinced there is a lot of underreporting.

2 Likes

When it becomes really like the flu and we can get away with an elective annual shot. That would be the ideal.

Currently a pal on the youngish side - say 30s- got it and reported heavy diarrhea as an extra symptom aside from fever, body aches, throat pain, the works. This is a sports oriented guy, actually got the bug traveling for a competition.

Me with food poisoning for most of the week: :flushed:

Well, he made a colorful comment about the state of his starfish. This from a mild mannered guy told me he was at the end of his tether. So yeah, food poisoning/norovirus without the stuff coming from the upper end too.

Summer is really ripe time to catch nasty stomach bugs.

1 Like

Having the shits is not a valid reason to keep society shut down indefinitely. Sounds like an average day for me after going to one of the buffets here.

10 Likes

Understandable, when the government has been doing dubious things guaranteed to make people afraid for the last two years.

So some guy we don’t know got the shits and felt a bit rough for a few days. Mildly unfortunate for him, but it’s not much of a catastrophe, is it? Has he recovered yet, or another couple of days? It’ll be fine.

7 Likes

It’s lucky he was fully vaccinated, or it could have been much worse!

[I’m just assuming he is - it’s about 98% coverage in the 30s age group].

If he was travelling at the time, I’m just wondering if the guy actually had food poisoning and merely tested positive for the sniffles at some point. When I had food poisoning in Morocco I had exactly those symptoms apart from the “throat pain”. Could barely move except to the toilet and back to bed.

2 Likes

Then they fail to understand how masks work and why we wear them.

They are not to protect the wearer, but to protect those around the wearer.

I thought this was common knowledge years ago.

4 Likes

He might be ok. Luckily he did not go home or to class or work, he did not pass it on to his grandpa or to an immunocompromised colleague/classmate. Because we are not locked down to the world. He could go out of the country, there was just a step holding him back a bit. A crucial step.

We do not have that extra strep currently with local transmission. We do have layers of safety like masks and distancing. Do we need to play again the images of two people masked interaction and how if both parties, sick and not sick are masked, that reduces transmission? Viral load also plays a part. You protect and get protected with a simple thing. Is that not better than not wearing anything?

1 Like

Simply, no. I’d rather take my chances with the virus than accept all the downsides of masking. It should have always been a personal choice.

11 Likes