Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

But she feels worse?

32% of today‘s fatalities have had three doses………its only one day’s figures but still, not a good endorsement of vaccince effectiveness….

1 Like

She said the second time around was worse.

My cousins have also said they felt worse the second time.

So we are still at the mercy of the turn of the wheel.

They already are anyways. You can assume many are carrying the virus at any given time. It’s endemic now.

Almost 70% of people have had 3 doses, so it actually is.

9 Likes

It’s more like having 100 beautiful looking apples where 10 of them have a rotten core. Eventually you’re going to bite into the rotten one, AKA get Covid repeatedly for the rest of your life.

This also applies to surgery admissions. Because I didn’t report my Covid case, those 16 days of recovery I had before I went to the hospital for my scheduled surgery couldn’t be added to the 15 days of the subsequent quarantine for a positive PCR test. Had I reported my initial infection, I would have passed the thirty day mark and would have been eligible for surgery even if I was fully infectious, was showing severe symptoms and tested positive.

That’s why I had to fight for a second test when I knew the first was a false positive or cross contaminated.

Sorry @temogain but to suggest it is a good endorsement is simply not true. I can agree with the view that vaccines offer some degree of protection but if you do the maths on these numbers then its a 46% death rate / 54% protection rate amongst the fully vaccinated……and this is after having taken not one but three injections. Yes, there is some protection but there is no way a rate that is effectively close to 50:50 can be called a good endorsement for the vaccines……

3 Likes

Fear can be really damaging. People with OCD can get massively triggered by fear. Something to think about.

2 Likes

I think it can. To me, every life matters.

2 Likes

It’s not just one day it’s every day. It’s true the largest percentage of deaths are people who are unvaccinated . The second largest percentage are people who have had 3 doses.

1 Like

Of course. Why would this not be the case?

If 100% of people were vaccinated, then 100% of deaths would be among the vaccinated. Aha! Proof vaccines don’t work.

9 Likes

I’m not disputing the figures. I agree with DP he said it was just one days figures but it’s the same every day.

As others have noted, you need to consider the base rate.

Here’s a helpful visual, posted today, showing what’s happening in Taiwan in 2022 (i.e. during this current omicron surge). In the 50-64 year old range, for example, folks with no vaccination are currently 12 times more likely to die than triple vaxxed folks.

Source: https://twitter.com/chasewnelson/status/1535553692589432838?cxt=HHwWjICpxdP8sM8qAAAA

Guy

11 Likes

Vaccinated will be the highest daily deaths rates. Why is this confusing?

I do not understand why my post is fear mongering. It’s relaying mildly optimistic predictions about our eventual death count.

Yes, Taiwan is going through the wave later than others. That seems obvious and neither I nor the tweet I posted say otherwise.

Nor do I see the signs of idiocy in his posts.

1 Like

The Chase guy not you. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

1 Like

And yet Taiwan also has one of the world’s highest vax/boost rates. I’m sure there will be suggestions that it’s because Taiwan’s vax-rate profile is/was inverted compared to other countries - almost 100% uptake in the demographic that didn’t need it, and a somewhat lower rate than other countries in the older cohort. However, if you run the numbers, it really doesn’t work out. The most likely explanation is simply that the CDC are being somewhat more flexible with the definition of a “COVID death” than others were.

Yes, but this is precisely why people ought to be looking at absolute numbers, and absolute risks (rather than percentages or relative risks) as I’ve pointed out several times. For the vast majority, all-cause risk of death is not altered by any meaningful amount by getting three jabs.

FIFY. Even so, I’m not sure if this is entirely plausible - the figures being bandied around in other countries are somewhere between 3 and 6, IIRC - but again it’s an extremely misleading metric because the baseline risk of death by COVID (as opposed to being recorded as a COVID death while dying of CHD, suicide, or a traffic accident) is so very small. 12 times a very small number is still a very small number. You can easily estimate a NNTV figure and demonstrate that the cost of “saving” a single life is measured in millions of NT$. Facile arguments like “every life is precious” overlook the fact that lives do have different values, and historically we have accepted this fact as uncontentious. It is morally objectionable to expect a 30-year-old to donate 10 life-years (in the form of an economic contribution to a vaccination programme) to extend the life of some 90-year-old by a matter of months.

4 Likes