Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Bad news. Apparently she had no underlying conditions. Plus, she had been boosted recently. Truly unfortunate, but also very strange.

Normally the borough warden has to assign someone to pick up your trash.

1 Like

Do they say which variant of covid she had?

Huh? Only Omicron is circulating here. I don’t know if it’s a sub-variant like BA.2, but that only affects contagiousness, not lethality.

I don’t think we can say that for sure. With border/quarantine restrictions having been relaxed recently, and contact tracing now mostly non existent, it’s not impossible that a few Alpha, Delta, or other variant cases have broken through. If Alpha got through at the height of restrictions before, no reason to think it or another variant couldn’t get through again now restrictions are more relaxed. It’s probably quite likely that we don’t just have Omicron in Taiwan right now.

Thanks, ill check with Kaohsiung side later.

Is it that strange? Awful, of course, but the virus can kill. Being young and healthy and vaccinated dramatically lowers the chance it’ll kill, but it doesn’t reduce it to zero.

3 Likes

If those variants aren’t extinct, they’re on the verge of extinction. I haven’t read anything in the news about Alpha and Delta in months. The last I heard about Delta was a news article from Chicago in January where they said 99.7% of new cases were Omicron. Add another 4 months to Omicron outcompeting it, and I’d be surprised if it was widespread anywhere. Alpha is definitely gone.

3 Likes

Catching it just after being vaccinated/ boosted isn’t good, right?

Just like taking a vaccine while being sick.

Yeah, but she had been boosted in February, so I’m using “recently” loosely. It’s a mystery. I wish it wasn’t, but it is.

3 Likes

Oh. Ok

This is why health experts advocate for everyone to be vaccinated. It’s a stark reminder of the risks, and that no one knows for certain what underlying condition or risk each individual may have that makes them more susceptible to becoming a severe case.

The logic we should only vaccinate those “at risk” and we know perfectly who is at risk is flawed. The best approach is to reduce risk as close as possible to zero.

1 Like

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

The sub-sub variant BA.2.12.1 is not here yet?

Express PCR (same day) test with document for travel 4500NT$

Dammit, I’m hearing a lot of ambulances today.

It was bound to come down to this. Every man for himself. Three more days and it’ll be hasta la byebye, Raccoon City.

Time to live stream on social media.

Once this gets picked up, changes will happen pronto. :angry:

Guy

4 Likes

I just got one in Kaohsiung. Is a Drive-In-Test.
But this is only for people who has contact with infected people ( wife and baby) . I ran out of Test kits and amazingly im still negative.

So for this PCR Drive-In seems like you first need to call saying u have no kits and are in contact with infected people. Then they will send you am SMS , once recieved you can go for the PCR test.

The one i went is in Baseball Stadium near Love River, Kaohsiung.

3 Likes

You hold it.