Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments November-December 2022

It’s a bit weird, isn’t it. I suspect one target is to “prove” that the vaccines are super effective at saving your life if you have cancer. Also, a certain number of people have to die otherwise the CECC lose their whole raison d’etre. You can’t declare a pandemic and invoke emergency laws if nobody’s dying or getting seriously ill.

They seem to be calibrating things so that the death rate looks a gnat’s todger larger than typical flu deaths. I guess that allows them to simultaneously claim that COVID is immensely dangerous, and also that their reign of error has been a complete success.

1 Like

Why is it going up again? Oh, wait, no masks on the street and in restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes.

Expiry dates on boosters.

2 Likes

Just time of year. Viruses do that.

1 Like

Nice. :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah, these are weekly UK deaths from Feb.2017 to Dec.2019:

Taiwan doesn’t have a proper winter, of course, but I’m pretty sure there are similar peaks and troughs for other reasons.

1 Like

My wife was telling me the other day a bunch of older people died from the cold weather. Maybe they got notched up as from/with COVID fatalities?

It still cools down a bit. So, whatever theory you want to believe (sputum lingering longer in the air/people mingling closer) still works, albeit for a shorter period of time than other countries.

1 Like

That wouldn’t be too surprising, given that if you die of cancer or a heart attack some guy apparently might show up with a swab at any point within the next seven months to check whether you had COVID.

3 Likes

565 deaths from pneumonia or influenza in Taiwan this past week. Averaging 84 flu or pnu deaths a day over the past 4-week period.

1 Like

I don’t know, is that exceptional? I honestly thought influenza deaths would be off the chart at this point. I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet. Obviously, I will be very pleased to be proven wrong.

1 Like

Taiwan’s flu and pnu data can be perused here.

Good point. I was just taking the CFR number on their flashcards at face value.

1 Like

Apparently in China, a Covid death is now defined as one where the deceased had tested positive and death was from a respiratory illness, such as pneumonia ONLY (ie - long term illnesses such as Cancer, coupled with a positive test don’t count as a Covid death) . On that basis, the Taiwan death toll would be down to single digits and even zero on some days.

5 Likes

China has whiplash from going from COVID is worse than the Bubonic Plague to “COVID, what COVID?” CCP’s cynicism about this transition is stunningly transparent.

1 Like

Everything’s fine!

Guy

Some mulling of Panadol rationing

2 Likes

Nothing like a bit of mulling to brighten one’s day!

I’m just wondering on what basis the CECC think they have legal authority to do anything like this, or whether they care about such niceties. Their proposed action has nothing whatsoever to do with controlling any epidemic (which - perhaps they’ve forgotten - is their sole mandate) and indeed has nothing to do with disease. It’s entirely an economic/social glitch, and hardly an important one. Next thing we know they’ll be mulling the permissible colours of those squishy silicone things with battery-operated motors, because COVID.

Is this something they changed recently, or have they been doing it for a while?

1 Like

It’s a simple solution. Ban export of the drug. You get caught sending it to China, $100k ntd fine, second time $1M. People will stop fast.

2 Likes

Given their total officially reported deaths of 5241 at China COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info), you would have to suspect it’s been from the outset.

The source of how they get the death numbers is below.
China changes definition of Covid deaths as cases surge | Coronavirus | The Guardian

2 Likes