Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments November-December 2022

How can you possibly know what knowledge will be useless or what might save you? That’s a very odd position.

1 Like

Not exactly useless. It’s selective “reporting” for the purposes you mentioned.

Seriously? I would have thought most people can cope with this particular challenge. We do it all the time without thinking about it. We look both ways before we cross the street. We make decisions about what to eat. We make decisions about reducing our risk of disease. These risks are both important and controllable.

We generally discount risks that are very very small. Not many people worry about dying in an air crash, or being struck by lightning, or ending up paraplegic. These are astoundingly unlikely events, and there are far more important things to think about. By continually flagging up meaningless risks in the newspapers, people get the impression that these things are far more relevant to their daily lives than they actually are, and lose sight of more important ones.

Yeah, seriously. I’d like to know the available facts, for realsies

1 Like

Why? Why do you need to know that a kid was ill with MIS-C? What are you going to do with that information? Do you also need to know the complete tally of every other childhood illness currently in the hospital at the moment? And what would you do with that?

Humans have a limited capacity for processing stuff. We ignore the majority of what goes on around us because it’s simply not relevant. The news tends to artificially give prominence to things that really should not be prominent.

1 Like

The same goes for knowledge of deaths following vaccination.

Knowing the latest data, publicizing the latest injuries and deaths, especially amongst children, infants and the unborn, might save an innocent life.

And yet, that gets zero coverage :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I want to know about that too. I also feel like I get ample coverage of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where? Not in any mainstream Taiwan media. It’s not posted as a ‘helpful thread’ and updated by any FM mod as a “public service” for expats.

Yet you seem to post about it all the time.

It’s like Schroedinger’s vaccines: invisible yet hypervisible at the same time.

Guy

False. I post about it sometimes. As opposed to Taiwan media, which publicises this important info never, or from other posters, which is practically never.

That you find such information, which may help protect and save a life, so objectionable, that you went out of your way to be critical of me for relaying such info, is concerning.

Many of us are parents, or potential parents. VAERS data is important in this regard. Maybe not for yourself, but others may appreciate it. It’s a community service for the forum, as much as any Covid data.

A co-worker of mine is still in a coma, over 12 months after receiving second shot. The very day after. That may have been avoided had they known the risks.

4 Likes

I remember back in the day when newpapers did discuss important real-life risks, such as the risk of a child being hit by a car, choking on inappropriate food, or electrocuted by fiddling with high voltage wiring. While that was probably a Good Thing on balance, people are now hyper-aware of such things, and the outcome has been complex - a definite reduction in needless child deaths, but also a modern obsession with protecting children from absolutely everything.

The last couple of years have made it very clear how poorly people understand risk and probability. I’m sure there are people out there who (a) firmly believe that their child is at extreme risk from COVID-induced death and (b) that vaccination will prevent this outcome without any comparable risk from the procedure itself. The frustrating thing is that the CECC have never actually made that statement in so many words (because it would be a lie). They’ve relied on the newspapers to convey a false impression of relative risks and lead parents to the desired conclusion by insinuation.

2 Likes

This has not been reported in a while and the more interesting part is the last bit with the total numbers.

Why is it interesting? In the US the reported rate was roughly 6 per million person-months during 2020 (children only) so Taiwan’s rate is unremarkable. And again, what is one supposed to do about it, other than let doctors do their jobs?

The ACIP recommends that children 6 months through 5 years of age can get vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, in addition to other currently recommended vaccines, in order to reduce the risk of hospitalization, severe illness (encephalitis, MIS-C) or death following infection.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/Fr-qyWWxXSOS9plKSkaD6A?typeid=158

1 Like

Oh, what a surprise. The CECC recommends kids get vaccinated.

Even if we take their word for it that vaccination reduces the risk of MIS-C (and they don’t tell us by how much, presumably because they don’t know and don’t care) they neglect to mention what other risks are associated with vaccination itself, and whether these are outweighed by the (hypothetical) risk of MIS-C. The essential ingredients for informed consent are therefore absent from their statement.

Since the vaccines have no effect whatsoever on risk of death in the 60-69 age group, as I demonstrated in the other thread using CDC figures, it would be quite remarkable if they worked any differently for children, who are in general much less vulnerable to COVID than older people. In fact their risk is so low that it isn’t even possible to calculate a meaningful vaccine efficacy figure - you’d need a population far larger than Taiwan’s to make that estimate.

When you’re talking about risks of the order of 6 per million person-months, you have to have an astoundingly effective and safe prophylactic to justify its use, and these experimental injectable products don’t seem to merit that description. The serious adverse event rate of vaccination is trending towards 1 per 10,000 (that’s the optimistic figure), and the absolute risk reduction is … uh, somewhere around zero. So I’m not sure why anybody in their right mind would take any notice of what the CECC has to say on the subject.

But let’s pretend for a moment that vaccinating 3 million children would perfectly protect them all from ending up in hospital with MIS-C, and that the vaccines have no adverse effects at all. We might expect 200 or so cases in the course of a year, assuming COVID doesn’t burn itself out, of whom (possibly) ten will die. IIRC each dose of vaccine costs ~NT$750, plus the costs of administration, storage, and suchlike - let’s be generous and say each shot is only NT$1000. 3 million kids x 2 doses is NT$6 billion, or NT$600m per life saved (NT$30m per case prevented). Is that really the best way to spend NT$6 billion? Is there, perhaps, a missed opportunity where that amount of money might save considerably more than ten lives, or might improve the lives of 200 children? I suspect there is.

It’d be nice if every problem in life really did have some simple, obvious solution, and it’d be nice if those solutions were completely free and had no associated downsides. In this case no such solution exists - and there’s barely even a problem here anyway. It’s disgraceful that the CECC are making completely unfounded claims that lead people to incautious decisions, and which waste public resources on something that ought to be way down the list of government priorities for funding.

6 Likes

Completed Green2

Covid Stats For 2022-11-18

Local = 17,952

Imported = 51

Deaths = 58

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

Cumulative Table Of Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?dt_name=1&downloadall=yes

4 Likes

Completed Green2

58 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on November 18, 2022

There were 58 local deaths today, including 32 males and 26 females, aged from their 40s to 90s. All had severe infections, 54 had a history of chronic diseases, 41 hadn’t received the recommended 3 or more doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and 32 hadn’t received any doses at all. The date of diagnosis was from September 17 to November 15 today (2022), and the date of death was from October 24 to November 15.

Click to see detailed cases report

Original CECC Report of 2022-11-18

11月18日新增死亡COVID-19確診個案表.pdf

Cumulative Table Of New Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

et al

臺灣國際衝浪公開賽 Taiwan Open of Surfing

臺灣國際衝浪公開賽 Taiwan Open of Surfing

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVID Humbug! (2022 edition)

I guess we’re not going to see the reports on time anymore. Yahoo news made it hard to find the numbers.

Completed Red Small

Covid Stats For 2022-11-19

Local = 16,514

Imported = 57

Deaths = 59

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

Cumulative Table Of Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

3 Likes