Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

in other words, will you be surprised if anyone gets a blood clot after drinking a glass of water?

1 Like

Everyone is well aware of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

4 Likes

Why do antivaxxers somehow think they know better than the experts?

I and others have posted sources from actual medical experts saying it doesnā€™t cause blood clots, yet the tinfoil hat antivaxxers somehow think a post by Fat Dave the warehouse picker packer on Facebook is a more valid source of information.

The :clap: vaccine :clap: is :clap: safe :clap: stop :clap: spreading :clap: twaddle :clap:

4 Likes

Put yourself forward for some testing that is taking place in Taiwan.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, I am just being vigilant to make sure that the vaccine is safe. I donā€™t want to take a vaccine and end up with a side effect that will threaten my health or even my life.

3 Likes

Such as yourself?

You canā€™t possibly know that the vaccine is safe :clap:

Nor can anybody else. It is logically impossible to know if itā€™s definitively ā€œsafeā€ in every possible aspect. What we can say at the moment is that it appears not to have immediate life-threatening consequences, and perhaps thatā€™s good enough to say ā€œoh, fck it then, just give me the vaccine if it makes you happy, and let me go about my businessā€.

Thatā€™s not the same as saying itā€™s safe.

1 Like

Iā€™m listening to the experts who have said itā€™s safe though, so your argument makes zero sense.

Iā€™ve read what the health experts have said, that the vaccine doesnā€™t cause blood clots and I believe them. In what way is that me knowing better than the experts?

ā€œā€œThis vaccine is a safe and effective option to protect citizens against COVID-19,ā€ Emer Cooke, executive director of the EMA said March 18 in a news conference.ā€

In what way is me listening to Emer Cooke and believing and trusting her, somehow me knowing more than the experts?

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty certain nobody has made any such pronouncement. If they have, theyā€™re either lying, or theyā€™re incompetent. Pronouncing it as safe is logically impossible, as I said. I have adequate academic background to say that authoritatively. The reason is that you donā€™t know what ā€œunsafeā€ consequences might appear later; these are unknown unknowns.

You have not understood what is being said. ā€œThis vaccine does not cause thrombosisā€ is not logically equivalent to ā€œthis vaccine is safeā€.

ā€œā€œThis vaccine is a safe and effective option to protect citizens against COVID-19,ā€ Emer Cooke, executive director of the EMA"

EDIT: fine, Emer Cook is either lying, or incompetent. Iā€™d happily say that to her face if you happen to have her phone number.

The correct statement is: ā€œgiven our current test coverage on this vaccine, we believe the risk of mass rollout to be acceptably lowā€. But the distinction would probably be lost on a public without any scientific knowledge in general, or knowledge of the discipline of testing specifically.

1 Like

ā€œā€œThis vaccine is a safe and effective option to protect citizens against COVID-19,ā€ Emer Cooke, executive director of the EMA said March 18 in a news conference.ā€

Safe

Learn :clap: to :clap: read :clap:

Iā€™m not familiar with this modern idea of clapping your hands to make things correct. Is this being taught in schools now? Or is it a technique used in warehouse packing?

3 Likes

Nice one, Fin. C for effort at least.

Plenty have, including the US CDC. It is a common expression when discussing drugs and vaccines.

Clearly, ā€œsafeā€ is a relative term. Things that were once considered safe sometimes are found to be unsafe when more people have been treated. I tend to prefer older drugs for this reason, all things being equal.

I got the (J&J) vaccine because I felt that, given available information, the benefits outweighed the risk. Weā€™ll see. I did get some awful flulike symptoms that made me question my math for about 24 hoursā€¦

1 Like

Which is quite normal right. The vaccine MUST elicit a robust immune response to be effective.

A bit like a combustion engine MUST heat up if it is working properly. If you have a cold engine you have problems.

1 Like

Not abnormal anyway. It varies from person to person and vaccine to vaccine. I have had vaccinations for hepatitis B, flu, and tetanus in my adult years, and never had a reaction like that. Fever up to 101F, severe chills for a while, nasty headache, and body aches.

All the people I know who got Moderna felt like crap the after the second but not first dose.

Astrazeneca has been cleared to be used again in Germany.

Slightly higher than average blood knot statistics were due to mostly female health workers in Germany, who naturally have higher risk for it.

5 Likes

Probably because that vaccine is extraordinarily effective.

The second dose usually elicits a much stronger response as you are primed from the first one.

It seems challenging now to compare all the vaccines so I guess the proof will be in the pudding long term.

Whatā€™s known is that Pfizer, Moderna and J&J all look really good. Transmission is the great unknown but one suspects itā€™s quite low when viral qty is effectively curtailed by an efficient immune response .

Thatā€™s odd. Any idea why?

Menopause as natural cause and pill as contraceptive as well.

So nurses are more likely to be menopausal and/or on the pill than the general female population?

Sure. But cynicism without medical evidence doesnā€™t show any concern. What exactly
are you doing medically to make ā€œsureā€ itā€™s safe, that others are not ?