Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

Taiwan isnt the only place where people with the right connections can jump the queue for vaccinations. A high priced (AUD50K per year) Boarding School in Sydney has ‘accidentally’ had lots (163 year 12 students) vaccinated that should still be waiting. The deal was for Aboriginal Students (High priority for shots in AUS and a few attend there on scholarships) to be vaccinated, but all of year 12 were ‘accidentally’ added in as well.

Mind you, the place has had other moments too, it is after all run by the Marist Brothers who have been in the news for the wrong reasons in the past. Lots of famous names (and politicians) are among its past students.

4 Likes

Ah, yes. The good old Marist Brothers, from my old home town. Staunch upholders of the Catholic faith, one and all.

154 accused child sex offenders child abuse in the Marist Brothers sect

From the 2016 Royal Commission into Child Abuse:

• 154 Marist Brothers were officially accused of child sexual abuse between 1980 and 2015, and many of them have been convicted or had claims paid out to victims.
  • 20% of the Marist Brothers order between 1950 and 2010 were paedophiles.
  • Claims of abuse against the Marist Brothers accounted for a quarter of all claims received by religious institutions.
  • 486 people made a claim of abuse against the Marist Brothers between 1980 and 2015.
  • The average age of claimants at the time of the abuse was 12.
  • 89% of these claims identified one or more religious brothers as a perpetrator.

Can’t have those kids getting sick from COVID, can we?

2 Likes

Ah fair play to them. It’s a grand religion. So long as they confess it they’ll still get into heaven. :ponder: And, we’re off topic again.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I couldn’t let those guys go without having another kick.

I pray :pray: you can forgive me for this thread transgression :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01893-0

1 Like

Great article, very interesting that they are following up with the low dose people still from Phase 1. I hope other vaccine manufacturers post their results too, especially AZ since the cold storage for the MRNA vaccines is hard in poor countries.

1 Like

Anyone, please tell me why there is nothing to worry about with AZ. And maybe also how the press in Taiwan and elsewhere have blown things way out of proportion with the risks. My wife is asking why I am willing to get the AZ shot. I had an answer but I want it to be better. I think others could also benefit from the answers given.

The UK is mostly vaxxed with AZ I believe.

1 Like

It’s a little bit like wearing masks. Yes if one person does it, it helps—but if lots of people do it together, it really helps. AZ vaccination works in a similar manner as seen by the earlier crushing of the curve in the UK. If a bunch of folks opt out however there will be trouble.

Plus the latest batch we received are MADE IN JAPAN. If I were trying to sell Taiwanese on this, I’d be showing nonstop images of the factory in Japan and random Japanese guys in lab coats with Japanese lettering in the background. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

People keep saying it, but it’s hard to tell conclusively if that’s what actually happened. COVID deaths were already 80% down from their peak when 30% of the population had had one dose. Bearing in mind the timelag between infection and death, and the timelag between vaccination and effectiveness, it seems unlikely the vaccines had much of a role in that.

Vaccines have probably had a role in keeping the numbers low, but that’s an untestable hypothesis because control groups are essentially forbidden.

Anyway, to answer the original question: I really don’t think there is a good reason unless marasan is in the 60-80 age group. As mentioned elsewhere, AZ is no longer approved in certain countries for under-60s. The missus, unfortunately, has a point.

Plausible deniability is certainly a thing.

I guess we will never know. :roll_eyes:

Guy

No, we won’t.

And this is why philosophers are not—and should not be—in charge of public policy.

Sorry philosophers! :rofl:

Guy

I’d prefer philosophers over doctors and people with obscure PhDs; those guys don’t know much about real life.

:rofl:

Some more positive news about AZ…

(I know it’s The Sun, but actually not a bad summary.)

2 Likes

Cool! We can add this good news to the various studies that have shown up to 50% of the population already has lifetime protection from COVID, sans vaccine.

Especially if it was sponsored by those with ties to the medical industrial complex.

2 Likes

That sounds like a conspiracy. Whatever you are talking about has probably been debunked by peer review.

2 Likes

It’s not like there are papers written to favour the consensus that garners funding from the medical industrial complex for those that write the papers.
‘The conspiracies are in plain sight’ as Ed Snowden said.