Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

Oh for Christ’s sake. Enough of this 'medical industrial complex ’ conspiracy bullshit already!.

3 Likes

Well, yes, but it’s not like it was condoned by any such medical industrial complex.

A) that was absolutely an evil and criminal business decision, and
B) not done by scientists but by the accountants.

and it was 40 years ago. Before we knew much about HIV or even knew it as a disease. Once they found out, though, those shitty companies just sold all their old product into Africa instead of the US.

Isn’t this supporting cake’s point?

2 Likes

Inferior vena cava filter and urogynaecological meshes are pretty recent. Plus if you turn the television on in the states there is always some new lawsuit for medical procedures. Doctors get paid to promote stuff even if it doesn’t work.

Plus the most recent blunder was last year when the CDC itself told us not to wear mask. I’m definitely reluctant.

I’ll add I’m not anti vac and I don’t think there is a chip in the vac etc. I just think it was rushed.

2 Likes

well, partly, but I’m more interested in pointing out that, while this shit does go on from time to time, it’s not the norm, and it’s not driven by the scientists who develop the products, but by the shonky businessmen who don’t give a shit. so stop blaming the scientists who develop (and promote the use of) the vaccines as if they were a part of some big conspiracy to inject all people with mind-control juice and sterilise us and so on. whatever crank theories that the anti-vaxxers have. stupid nonsense.

2 Likes

And what about all the zillion other things that DO work? And have undoubtedly saved your life and mine? Even though you may not realise it and how these things work, you’re on the receiving end of a whole society of beneficial stuff. stop pointing at the few obviously unethical things and step back a bit and say thanks to the rest of us.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

I think it is quite the norm. Human beings have to fuck themselves up every once in a while. That’s the law of universe.

1 Like

“The benefits far out weigh the risks” is rolled out whenever someone dies or is struck down. The reporting of adverse reactions is only around 1-10% of actual reactions.

I can just say BlackRock or Vanguard owned companies instead.

1 Like

In Alabama, state officials report 94% of COVID hospital patients and 96% of Alabamians who have died of COVID since April were not fully vaccinated.

More than 97% of people getting hospitalized with Covid-19 now are unvaccinated, Walensky said.

And 99.5% of deaths are among the unvaccinated, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy said Sunday.

1 Like

Since deaths have been somewhere around 10-20 each week in Alabama since April, I’m not sure that this really matters. 96% of a very small number is still a very small number.

For reference, that’s about the same as the suicide rate in Alabama (with the difference that suicide affects young people, and COVID kills mostly the very old).

If there’s ever a vaccine for suicide I’d get that too. I know a lot of families who have been affected by it.

There may also well be a summer lull. This thing is going to keep churning.

2 Likes

4% of 15 is 0.6. So if everyone was vaccinated, 1 death every two weeks instead of 30. Just get the @$":'ing vaccine.

Fair point. Nevertheless, you don’t often hear the surgeon-general making statements about suicide prevention.

They don’t want to. It’s a free country. What difference does it make to you, or to the surgeon-general, if someone drinks himself to death, jumps off a bridge, or doesn’t want to take the lurgy vaccine? I’m pretty sure Alabama has more important issues to worry about.

And in any case your computation makes some unfounded assumptions. Most people at risk are already vaxed; Alabama’s vax rate for older people (84%) is roughly the same as other US States (average 94%).

It matters to me only if they are dying because the risk was downplayed- if they were lied to about the risks. And this is happening. If they know, really know, that they could avoid death, and that this is a near 100% certainty, but then decide against the vaccine anyway, then I have nothing to say. But this message is not getting across. Not in the US anyway. If it was, there wouldn’t be stories of people begging for the vaccine before being intubated.

When did you add this? The article states 96% of deaths are those that are unvaccinted. My vehemence is from an assumption that these CDC numbers (CDC, right?) are accurate.