Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

Well, I’ve listened to the first one right through, and I’m afraid the only thing I get from that is that the world is in deep trouble. I’ll do a complete review because I think it’s important that people like Topol are called out for what they are. They’re not the voice of rationality calling out misinformation: they’re twitching-eyelid fanatics spreading their own one-sided views, and can’t even see the truck-sized holes in their own arguments.

I’ll note first that they didn’t even achieve what they said they would: attempt to convince “anti-vaxers”, via reasoned argument, that their position was baseless. It was essentially one long rant about how the knuckle-draggers are ruining everything for normal people, concluding with the proposition that the only solution would be to back them into a really uncomfortable corner until they have no choice but to get vaxxed.

Secondly, the entire premise of the debate is nonsense. They assert:

• COVID is running rampant because of anti-vaxers.
  • anti-vaxers are running rampant.
  • If we could achieve some (unspecified) maximal vaccination coverage, then COVID would go away.

All three of these propositions are demonstrably false:

• Objectively speaking, COVID now presents no existential threat, and particularly not to the vaccinated. US and EU deaths and hospitalisations are down in the noise.
  • There is little difference in the hospitalisation and death rates in ‘vaxxed’ US states compared to ‘unvaxxed’ ones. There is fairly large variation in these metrics between States, but this variation is not explained by vaccination differences.
  • Vaccination rates across the US are not remarkably different. Average vax rates for over-65s is 92%; minimum is 81% in WV. Average among 18-65s is 59.8%, with the lowest being 41%.
  • Vaccines do not prevent either infection or spread of COVID. IIRC, the rate of transmission is slowed by about 75% by vaccines. It is entirely unsurprising, then, that “cases” are still high. COVID is not going away, even if you start vaccinating newborns.

So we’re kicking off the debate with a bucketload of “misinformation”. Sam Harris does attempt to keep things on track, but Topol really wasn’t going to play ball.

Here are my notes:

Compression of an 8-year development cycle into 1 year is a ‘triumph’. Or it could be reckless endangerment of billions of people; there might, perhaps, be a reason that vaccines take multiple years to develop and test.

Vaccination rates have plummeted. Well, of course they have. They have to eventually, don’t they? Why on earth would they continue at the same clip forever? Everyone who wants a vaccine has now had one. The job is completed.

People live in bubbles of like-minded people. No, they don’t. The reason the average person will find only a few unvaxxed among their social circle is that most adults have been vaxed.

Comparison with smokers; non-vaccinated causing harm that’s worse than second-hand smoke. It should be sufficient to say that, if vaccines work, then you are protected, but the counterargument is “but anti-vaxers are a repository for variants!”. The elephant in the room here is that “immune escape” is driven by vaccination; without that selection pressure, variants are less likely to evolve in certain directions in the first place. Even if 100% coverage were achieved, immune escape would still be possible.

Trump/the Russians. FFS. They just had to get that in there.

People believe the risk is exaggerated. That’s because it is. Topol produces no numbers at all to support his arguments. He also conflates exposure with risk. While noting that about half the US population has been exposed, he fails to observe that, nevertheless, only 0.19% of the population has died. This is the point where people cry “but the Delta variant!”, to which the answer is … what about it? The mortality rate is the same, or lower.

Differences in risk ignored. They completely skate over the fact that the risk profile is not uniform. For young people, it is far from obvious that the vaccine offers them any personal benefit. Something similar is true for the very old, who may have their reasons for not wanting to extend their lives.

Concerns about authoritarian government. Missing from the entire debate is that the world does not revolve around COVID-19; or at least, most sane people think it should not. Topol, like many COVID enthusiasts, believes that it should, and that as long as he can prove the vaccines are safe and effective, and that COVID is deadly, then quod erat demonstrandum. He seems to have no inkling of the possibility that some people might have broader concerns, such as a wish to not fiddle with natural processes when we can’t easily predict the outcome, or that a lukewarm crisis is not sufficient reason to deprive people of their rights.

High effectiveness in the real world. Fine, so take yer vaccine, Topol, and leave people alone.

“Hospitals are not filling with the vaccinated”. And neither are they filling up with the unvaxxed. At any given time there are one or two COVID patients in any major US hospital. In part, that’s because (as noted) most of the at-risk groups have been vaxed.

Anti-vaxers anti-science. Topol never did answer Sam’s question about “but how do you explain actual scientists going against the narrative?”.

Viral load for Delta “1000x or more”. I’ve commented on this before. It’s a weird statistic, because it would imply Delta makes people very sick indeed (viral load, with other diseases at least, correlates strongly with symptoms). But it doesn’t.

No assessment of vaccine-death causation. There’s a quite extraordinary admission (twice) that nobody knows if the vaccines cause deaths or not, because nobody is really following up on VAERS to find out if deaths are just … deaths, or vaccine deaths. Topol amusingly argues that, well, there are so many people being vaxed, how could they possibly evaluate those reports? SH argues, hey, even if it actually is 12,000 dead (as some are saying), well, that’s better than some (hypothetical) number of deaths from COVID, isn’t it? This is a guy with a degree in Philosophy.

Vaccines are safe because we had 75,000 people in the initial trials. This is an absolutely laughable statement from somebody who supposedly has experience running clinical trials. If you have a 1 in 20,000 effect, it will probably be dismissed as statistically insignificant in a trial that size. Topol suggests that myocarditis rates of 1:120000 are of no concern because “they didn’t die”, and that serious clotting events of 1 in “several hundred thousand” is insignificant because … well, that’d only be a few hundred deaths in a country the size of the US.

Inapporpriate comparison with history of vaccines. This vaccine is safe because other vaccines are/were safe.

“There are no more surprises”. This is possibly the most stupid statement in the whole podcast. How can you announce that you’re not going to get any surprises? It wouldn’t be a surprise if it was predictable, would it? In any case, given the lackadaisical approach to data collection, surprises seem inevitable.

“We know what these vaccines do”. Even though they’ve only been around for a few months, and nobody is evaluating VAERS reports. Yeah, OK.

Ivermectin. Not going to open this can of worms; while acknowledging that “there’s a signal” for Ivermectin and that the FDA is obliged to test anything that “may be effective”, Topol dismisses Ivermectin as fraudulent science, in effect accusing hundreds of people of lying without any evidence. Sam Harris wraps up that segment with a statement along the lines of “I haven’t listened to Weinstein’s podcasts on the subject but I know it’s misinformation”.

Conspiracies and Censorship.“There really is a conspiracy … the government is asking tech companies to [censor certain ideas]”.

FDA Approval. Topol disparagingly writes off the FDA’s lack of approval for the vaccines as incompetence, perhaps (he suggests) because they’re sidetracked by some nonsense regarding an Alzheimer’s drug. Well, 120,000 Americans die every year from Alzheimer’s, and worldwide there are 10 million new diagnoses annually. It’s a horrible disease, and a horrible way to die. Although one might be cynical about the profit potential for an Alzheimer’s drug, it also has the potential to do good, and writing it off as merely a fatberg in the vaccine drainpipe is a rather one-sided view, to say the least.

They wrap up the conversation with pure speculation: “we could have ended the pandemic” if we had had vaccines, and supposedly if everyone were vaccinated then we could reach that state of Nirvana. The implication, according to Topol, is that ‘anti-vaxers’ must be masked and tested repeatedly, until they give in. He grudgingly admits that the FDA must actually approve the vaccine before his fantasy of epidemiological oppression can begin.

Which reminds me of this scene in Star Trek, where Kruge [Christopher Lloyd] refuses to do what Kirk wants … “because you wish it”.

3 Likes

My reasons for not refuting each and every one of “your claims” in more detail are as follows:

1. I’m swamped with work today and don’t have enough time.
  2. I get the impression that it’s futile and you’re not willing to learn anything about the topic you’re trying to discuss anyway, so what’s the point?
  3. There are numerous points in there that are patently incorrect to anyone who’s remotely familiar with the fields under discussion, but trying to explain why they’re incorrect would mean having to write paragraphs of text for each individual point, which I don’t have the time or inclination for - see (1) and (2).
  4. You appear to have plagiarized “your claims” from other online posts (like here), unless you happen to be the same person - see below:

I gave you the link to the electron microscopy images because you (or the thing you plagiarized) claimed that “virologists have never seen or isolated viruses in humans, animals, plants, or their fluids”. That’s one specific assertion you made, which is categorically false - viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, have been visualized by electron microscopy. Care to respond to that and admit your error, or shall we just gloss over that?

Or what…does microscopy not count because it’s not “seeing” with human eyes? In which case, there’s little to respond to there, because we’re working from different definitions and nothing that’s smaller than can be seen with the human eye can ever be seen or proven to exist. Viruses have also been isolated (preparing them for electron microscopy is one form of isolation, actually) - you were wrong about that, too.

I can back that up - honestly, it’s trivial to do so. There are several reasons for using alternatives to human tissue such as animal tissue and microbial cells. Off the top of my head:

1. Human tissues (as well as animal tissues) are difficult to culture in the lab. Guess what most likely happens if you remove some, say, bronchial tissue from a patient and try to use it in the lab? It dies. Because it doesn’t have the blood supply and other supporting cells and structures to remain viable. It’s sometimes the case that very specific experimental conditions can be found under which certain tissues remain alive for long enough to perform experiments, but that’s always empirical and based on many years of cumulative research work. When conditions can be found for culturing or performing experiments with human/animal tissues, they often involve poorly defined media like fetal bovine serum that vary from batch to batch, which affects experimental reproducibility (in addition to the experimental reproducibility associated with using complex tissues like those from humans/animals). This is one of the main motivations for using simpler systems (e.g., microbial cells expressing certain proteins of interest) and chemically defined media - the alternative “real” system is often too complicated and poorly characterized to work with.
  2. There are ethical considerations associated with using human cells/tissues that are reduced (animal cells/tissues) or avoided (microbial cells) by using the alternatives instead. And again, using human tissues isn’t necessarily as simple as just taking them from a cadaver or painlessly scraping off part of somebody’s airway epithelium, because these often aren’t reliable or viable models in the absence of all the supporting stuff.
  3. It’s cheaper, faster, and simpler (the last point is important, because human systems are often too complex and poorly understood to study in the way researchers would need to study them, at least initially).

I’ve tried to address some of what you wrote. Happy now, or just going to ignore this and continue believing the nonsense?

4 Likes

To answer point 4, I did write,

So I’m not claiming those are my own words and I cited who wrote/said, or was translated from as the person who is cited is German.

As for being happy now, I would say I thank you for your detailed response. I can see you put time and effort into this. From the points you’ve made, which I have not, you’ve described why using human tissue isn’t feasible in many ways. I guess I’m having trouble seeing the apples to apples comparison, when it looks like an apple to oranges comparison. I did have other questions, but I know I don’t have as much background knowledge in this as you, so I don’t see the point in asking them. Instead I’ll leave you with this instead, the google doc from the German doctor I cited.

1 Like

This “doctor”—the source you Mr Grand Dink are following—is notorious. Would-be patients beware!

Guy

1 Like

Dr John Campbell calling out some deeply suspicious UK government BS.

You might want to skip past the first bit, which is the detailed discussion of a possible mechanism behind some of the catastrophic clotting events after vaccination, viz., inadvertent injection of the vaccine into a blood vessel. Go to 12:50 for the roasting. Even if the hypothesis is incorrect, advising technicians not to aspirate before injection seems bizarre, given that it takes all of five seconds to do so, and AFAIK is standard practice.

I am, incidentally, completely blown away by the “1 in 85,000” statistic, even allowing for the fact that most of those events are non-fatal (by pure chance, I imagine). The implication is that a few hundred such events have occurred to date in the UK alone.

2 Likes

The WHO stopped advising aspiration for vaccines quite a long time ago. There was a big brewhaha on the juicing forums about not needing to aspirate then. Luckily there are a lot of doctors that juice and they spent a few years getting it hammered into everyone’s head that injecting a CC or more of thick oil definitely requires aspiration. You still see some noobs posting how the WHO says they don’t need to aspirate. Anyone who’s gotten even a little juice into their lungs will definitely remember.

2 Likes

Realistically, the chances of hitting a blood vessel are very small. But definitely not zero, when you’re giving literally billions of injections. So why not aspirate? What on earth is the rationale behind telling people not to do something that (AFAIK) has no downside? As Campbell says in the video, just give it a go and see if the clotting events stop happening; if they don’t, well, at least you tried.

but why is the clotting issue with az? doesn’t the mRNA vaccine have the same chance of hitting the vessel? why are we not seeing clotting with the mRNA then?

It appears to be something to do with the adenovirus vector acting as a nucleation site for platelets, which then triggers the clotting cascade (clotting is a very complicated multi-step process which is “failsafe” in many respects, but not 100% foolproof).

Presumably the (synthetic) mRNA capsules, or whatever they’re calling the carrier structure, doesn’t have that effect.

1 Like

According to this new study, it seems there are in fact clots with the mRNA vaccines too, and they occur at a very similar rate to AZ…

But unfortunately it’s only AZ (the cheapest and most easily distributed one) that got it’s reputation trashed.

3 Likes

Somewhat OT, but it occurred to me that the word ‘Comirnaty’ sounds very Slavic. So I tried typing it into Google Translate in Cyrillic (with an assortment of different spellings).

Turns out that “кумирнатий” means “idol” in Ukrainian.

Just thought my fellow conspiracy theorists might enjoy that.

1 Like

‘Комирнаты’ in Russian
‘Комірнаті’ in Ukrainian

It does not have any specific meaning in both languages.

2 Likes

My first attempt was “Комирнат…” and Google autocompleted the drug name. But that’s boring.

Change a couple of vowel sounds and … ta-da, looks like Pfizer have a little in-joke going on :slight_smile:

The beast I saw resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion. The dragon gave the beast his power and his throne and great authority.

One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal wound, but the fatal wound had been healed. The whole world was astonished and followed the beast.

Men worshiped the dragon because he had given authority to the beast, and they also worshiped the beast and asked, “Who is like the beast? Who can make war against him?”

In Taiwan, they will be 1000 times less likely to test positive because once vaccinated, you won’t be tested.

1 Like

What are you talking about? :roll_eyes:

Counter-example to your claim: you are double vaccinated, you spent time overseas, and now you are returning to Taiwan. You will be tested and treated just like everyone else entering the country.

Guy

How many people travel abroad, or have any other reason to take a mandatory test?

Taiwan’s testing strategy is, and always has been, to test only those people “suspected” of having COVID contacts.

I was responding to Big Dave’s claim, which is demonstrably false.

Guy

Starting next week. I won’t be tested because I am vaccinated. My coworker will be tested weekly because they are not vaccinated.

Who is more likely to test positive?

How much more likely are they to be found positive compared to me when they will get tested weekly and I won’t?

Hmmm! Well here I am, sitting on my a&& unvaccinated here in Taiwan. Do you think I am being called in to be tested weekly?

Come on man you can do better than this. Please! :rofl:

Guy