Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

my buddy just had covid for the past 4-5days and he says he’s gona get a vaccine asap because he said the fever he had was absolutely ballistic. He didn’t lose taste or smell, nor did he have trouble breathing. Just massive fever and fatigue and he basically said…He was an idiot for not getting a vaccine.

fever gone now and he is doing well. He is 31 with no health conditions. Not a health nut, but he does stay active in ways.

1 Like

I have grandparents. None of them in nursing homes. All have active lifestyles, eat well. None, NONE of their friends have ‘died of Covid.’ They all keep pretty fit and healthy for their age group.

All the stats show, even as BJ’s link above proves, obesity and general poor health makes you susceptible to Covid.

One can always find anecdotal ‘evidence’ that supports one assumptions about the actual threat of Covid, whilst ignoring the actual real world risk factors and dealing with those.

No point ignoring the root of the problem.

It ain’t Covid, bros.

I also have a buddy who is truly healthy, eats decent, active, gym, great body fat % and he had covid and had the opposite of what my other friend had.
He has like a low low fever, 37c, lost taste, and continued to workout in his garage. Basically shook it off like nothing.

1 Like

I’m not denying Covid exists. Or that it makes certain people seriously ill and/or kills them. However, as all stats show, it does absolutely not attack all demographics equally.

One should decide - do I attend to my cormobidities, or ignore them and sign up for lifetime Covid medication, and carry on with my current low level immune system? Or, should I deal with these comorbidities and do my best to avoid that lifetime package?

Or, do both! Improve one’s health, and get jabbed. But why ignore or leave unattended the very things that make one extremely susceptible to not just Covid, but almost any disease or virus?

2 Likes

I agree with you that the life style and overall horrendous obesity levels have exacerbated the severity of this virus.

2 Likes

Yeah. And that’s what the ‘scientists and experts’ are saying too.

“While it was thought that only seniors and people with immune disorders were at increased risk for severe illness, obesity has emerged as a strong and independent risk factor for severe infection and death due to COVID-19.”

there is a reason why high level athletes shake the virus off.

and im not talking about the “gym coach” who is actually obese. When people say “he was so healthy” don’t know what IN SHAPE truly means anymore.

It’s tough getting ill, but I find it rather baffling how people are prepared to take an unknown risk to avoid it. I know one person in the UK who had a moderate dose of COVID - laid up for a few days, fever, the usual, he’s fine now - and he still went straight out and got the vaccine when it was available. He reckons I need it too.

I can still remember the last time I had flu. It was horrible, and that was 20 years ago. But I’ve still never contemplated getting a flu vaccine. I’d much rather make sure I’m as healthy as possible so that if I do get ill from COVID, the chances are good that I’ll shake it off.

People have different priorities of course. I wouldn’t berate anyone who’s afraid of getting sick for taking the vaccine. But I’m really tired of seeing this endless parade of obese people in hospital with the implied message: “this could happen to you!”. Well, yes, it could, in the same sense I could be hit by a blue truck tomorrow. But the odds are very much against it.

4 Likes

Sometimes we hear stories of a “super fit young person who dies of Covid, with zero medical history.”

If true, while that is indeed sad, people seem to forget that statistically, this is rare.

They also sometimes take that message to mean, “See? Even the healthy get Covid. I’ll just forget about trying to be healthy, keep drink’ and eatin’, doing no exercise, and simply take the eternal jabs instead.”

There’s no reason why we can’t have a balanced approach to this pandemic.

3 Likes

The one single time I got the flu shot, I was so sick “with the flu” that I thought I would die.

It was the only time I ever “got the flu” in my entire life as well. After the shot.

3 Likes

Things are becoming clear.:sunglasses:
Of course covid is not the flu.

Linked CDC study from the article:

Results

Overall, 8.3% (95% confidence interval [CI], 6.4–10.2) of deaths were attributed to inadequate levels of physical activity. The percentage of deaths attributed to inadequate levels was not significant for adults aged 25 to 39 years (−0.2%; 95% CI, −8.8% to 7.7%) but was significant for adults aged 40 to 69 years (9.9%; 95% CI, 7.2%–12.6%) and adults aged 70 years or older (7.8%; 95% CI, 4.9%–10.7%).

Conclusions

A significant portion of deaths was attributed to inadequate levels of physical activity. Increasing adults’ physical activity levels to meet current guidelines is likely one way to reduce the risk of premature death in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2018/17_0354.htm

1 Like

There are literally hundreds of these studies, all looking at slightly different aspects of the benefits of exercise. They all come to pretty much the same conclusion: exercising (and eating proper food) is probably the single most important thing that anybody can do to live longer and improve their quality of life.

3 Likes

If you care to discuss this, please do it without accusations, backseat modding, etc.

1 Like

It’s instructive to chart age risk versus obesity

I did it before but it’s buried in 1 billion posts here.

When I did it I realised that obesity equals something like a ten to Fifteen years aging penalty to your immune system.

So roughly an obese 50 year old slips into the healthy 60s risk bracket

And an obese 60 year old slips into the healthy 70s risk bracket.

Reversing the thought process you then realise that being 70 and healthy still only puts you in the obese 60s risk bracket I.e you are still in a relatively high risk group. Aging is just what it is.

Delta might have changed the game a bit since then, some accounts say it’s harming younger people more although that may also be because younger people had lower vaccination levels than older people and Delta has been spreading quickly in some communities.

1 Like

I think young people might assume they are low risk and therefore be less cautious.
Additionally, there are quite a few young obese kids these days.

The COVID-19 pandemic has been associated with weight gain among adults, but little is known about the weight of US children and adolescents.
To evaluate pandemic-related changes in weight in school-aged youths, we compared the body mass index (BMI; calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared) of youths aged 5 to 17 years during the pandemic in 2020 to the same period before the pandemic in 2019.

Results
Youths gained more weight during the COVID-19 pandemic than before the pandemic (Table). The greatest change in the distance from the median BMI for age occurred among 5- through 11-year-olds with an increased BMI of 1.57, compared with 0.91 among 12- through 15-year-olds and 0.48 among 16- through 17-year-olds. Adjusting for height, this translates to a mean gain among 5- through 11-year-olds of 2.30 kg (95% CI, 2.24-2.36 kg) more during the pandemic than during the reference period, 2.31 kg (95% CI, 2.20-2.44 kg) more among 12- through 15-year-olds, and 1.03 kg (95% CI, 0.85-1.20 kg) more among 16- through 17-year-olds. Overweight or obesity increased among 5- through 11-year-olds from 36.2% to 45.7% during the pandemic, an absolute increase of 8.7% and relative increase of 23.8% compared with the reference period (Table). The absolute increase in overweight or obesity was 5.2% among 12- through 15-year-olds (relative increase, 13.4%) and 3.1% (relative increase, 8.3%) among 16- through 17-year-olds. Most of the increase among youths aged 5 through 11 years and 12 through 15 years was due to an increase in obesity.

Discussion
Significant weight gain occurred during the COVID-19 pandemic among youths in KPSC, especially among the youngest children. These findings, if generalizable to the US suggest an increase in pediatric obesity due to the pandemic.

Research should monitor whether the observed weight gain persists and what long-term health consequences may emerge. Intervention efforts to address COVID-19 related weight gain may be needed.

Research should monitor whether the observed weight gain persists and what long-term health consequences may emerge. Intervention efforts to address COVID-19 related weight gain may be needed.

If he just had it, why does he need a vaccine?

Absolutely shocking that a third of 5-11 year olds started off obese. The takeaway message there, though, is that some lives have been shortened by “lockdowns” etc. The fatter you get, the harder it is to get back to where you ought to be.

1 Like

just was told can’t get it for 90days