Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - April 2021

I think nhi card is mainly identification, plus it would go on your nhi record making it easy to prove vaccination history.

Otherwise you can bring your passport or arc.

1 Like

Actually this NHI card is kinda pointless. Wonder why they don’t merge the data with national id card/arc. Both are ID cards.

In fact Taiwan’s national ID card and ARCs could be upgraded to chip based smart card and no need to have other IC based cards.

After going to Zhongshan to get the train mrt card they’re giving away today and seeing a massive line that took me literally two minutes to walk past, they should offer a free novelty mrt card when you get the vax.

That will get the Taiwanese in. Staying healthy, nah. A free covid shaped MRT card they’ll be lining up outside the doors

3 Likes

There are plans to offer I based Id cards. No idea where that’s going

It’s ridiculous what people line up for. The local hydro utility was giving away a $100 credit for some activity and there was a stampede of old people waiting for hours and packing the place. Your idea is a good one

2 Likes

Not just this. It’s crazy how some people waste so much time in their life for a f-ing NT $20 coupon. Numerous times I’m waiting in lines, while some person takes 10 minutes to dig up their precious coupon.

Isn’t their time in life worth more than NT 20?

Another point: I hope Taiwan can phase out these worthless NT coins. Plus make all coupons winnings etc. min of 200.

2 Likes

No way. I use all the coins often. I especially take pride in paying for my $55 lunchbox with 1nt coins. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My ex’s mother would drive her scooter 25 minutes to her bank to avoid the $NT17 transfer fee.

2 Likes

Right. Such a waste isn’t it.

I wonder if it’s a cost issue. ARCs have to be replaced every time a person begins a new employment contract or changes their home address. Even APRCs have to be replaced for the latter. NHI cards last a long time with no information that needs to be updated regularly, so chipping them may be more cost-effective.

1 Like

Don’t the recent national ID cards contain chips as well though?

I can’t imagine that ARCs/APRCs played any role at all in the decision, as that would imply an unprecedented amount of consideration for foreign residents.

Probably just a historical/inertia thing, that nobody has felt inclined to update yet.

1 Like

Again excuses from a system which refuses to learn from others.

In 2021, you dont need anything really apart from your photo, DOB and the ID number on the card. Everything else should be in the database. Anyone who wants details needs proper channels where they can swipe the card and get the info.

Why do they need address? Who needs to see my address? Police, hospitals etc can input my number and get it.

In any case, if you want the address change update to be visible - the problem has been solved already. See how US drivers licenses are - stick a sticker with the update.

Why does ARC need employers info? Again, people who need to see it should have proper channels.

1 Like

I’ve had the same one for twenty years. I look very sprightly and young in the picture.

5 Likes

Same!

2 Likes

Because US driver licenses are the prime example of how ID cards should be all over the world :rofl:

1 Like

Why would I make excuses for them? I couldn’t care less. I’ve got no dog in the fight, other than the extremely minor inconvenience of carrying two cards instead of one, which I’d never even thought about until now. I’m just speculating that cost is likely a factor, because, well, it always is. That’s how the world works.

As to why employer info is necessary for an employment-based legal residency in a foreign country, I guess I’ll let you figure that out yourself.

Why does an ID need your address? I dunno, why does it need anything? Why do we even need IDs? How obtuse do we wanna get here? :man_shrugging:t2:

Nothing to do with why that info has to be printed on the card.

Employment info isn’t printed on the card. The expiration date of the ARC coincides with the end of one’s employment contract.

I went this afternoon and confirmed that the NHI (or being enrolled in NHI since I haven’t yet) is not a requirement.

So basically, I went in just to ask a question and 15 minutes later I was out vaccinated :rofl: I went to KMUH (Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospital), one of the two on the list. There was nobody, apart from hospital staff, in the COVID vaccination area, although a notice said that the slots were full for the whole week. A nurse took me to the counter to book an appointment, then after a few minutes said: “Hey, I think that we still have a dose that we can use on you”. I filled up one form and the yellow slip that should act as a record of the vaccination in case we travel, paid 420 NTD (maybe the price down south is different?) and that’s about it.

You can try your luck too, if you live in Kaohsiung. But no guarantees :rofl: :rofl:

One note. Initially, I approached the girl at the information counter at the entrance, who didn’t understand anything about the vaccine and kept insisting that I downloaded some app (which is not needed). So, you better go straight to the COVID vaccination area and ask whatever question to them.

5 Likes

I have been told by two people that they got vaccinated without NHI or ARC