Coronavirus vaccine in Taiwan - Feb/Mar 2021

2 Likes
2 Likes

Sweet. Booking our flights for summer now!

1 Like

Keep in mind there’s a priority list. Unless you’re a medical worker, in the military, or simply old, you’re likely not on it.

Guy

5 Likes

So curb my enthusiasm? :slight_smile: I was mostly joking. Still, 20 million is enough to cover about 40% of the population, which is a good start.

1 Like

I agree! We’ll see how long it takes us to get to the magic 70-80% vaccination tipping point…

Guy

2 Likes

As Taiwan prepares to receive its share of COVAX vaccines, authorities today “granted emergency use authorization (EUA) for AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine”. The first shipment (around 200,000 doses—enough for 100,000 people, approximately a third of Taiwan’s medical workers) is expected to arrive next week.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202102200010

Guy

1 Like

Thank goodness for clear heads:

On Friday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that Taiwan’s 332,000 health care workers will have first priority for receiving the vaccine.

They will be followed by a second group comprising epidemic prevention personnel, workers who assist people in quarantine and airport personnel, which totals around 140,000 people, according to CECC spokesman Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥).

3 Likes

Taiwan has obtained 19.81 million jabs from overseas sources, said Health Minister and Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) in a regular briefing on Sunday (Feb. 21). An additional 20 million homegrown vaccines, as well as the five million doses from Pfizer’s German partner BioNTech, are expected to bring the total number of jabs to no more than 45 million, he added.

3 Likes

…which have not even made it to the third stage of testing yet. We’ll see if any of them make it.

To his credit, Minister Chen is eyeing the long game in which he believes this virus will be with us for a while.

Guy

4 Likes

Some interesting details about how Taiwan’s CDC intends to administer the two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. The first batch of 200,000 is expected to arrive soon via the COVAX scheme:

Guy

2 Likes

I was listening to a talk show. Basically, several health experts agreed that given current conditions in Taiwan, where the virus is not rampant, we can wait for the local development of a safer vaccine.

As a protein based vaccine, local developed one has to be slower.

1 Like

Not sure why a locally developed vaccine should be safer. Unless I have missed something it is not like that Taiwan is the global leader in vaccine technology, development and production

3 Likes

They feel it is safer because of the kind of vaccine. It is not mRNA which is still new out there.

And actually yes, Taiwan is a big deal in biotech and vaccine production, among other things.

5 Likes

If I had a choice I would actually prefer the Moderna or PfizerBioNTech vaccine since it has a higher efficacy, but it is certainly true that mRNA vaccines are something new and therefore less tested. AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson however are also non-mRNA

1 Like

Don’t get your hopes up too high. I don’t know where you’re from but if your home country where you are from has not gone far ahead with the vaccinations to stop the
spread of COVID-19, then you will have to look forward to staying here all summer,
or perhaps go somewhere else.

I[quote=“Shui, post:15, topic:202980”]
If I had a choice I would actually prefer the Moderna
[/quote]

I was just going to say that myself. I was doing some research about the
Moderna ingredients, and it says that Moderna vaccines do NOT
contain Potassium Choroxide. Potassium Choroxide is the same compound
element that is used for executing people in lethal injections.

What are you talking about? “Potassium choroxide” isn’t anything as far as I’m aware. No wonder you couldn’t find it in any vaccines. I assume there should be an “l” there, but “potassium chloroxide” doesn’t seem to be a common term either (potassium chlorate, KClO3?). “Compound element” is nonsensical, too. If this is “research”, it isn’t very good research.

I believe it’s potassium chloride (KCl), in large doses, that’s used as the final step of lethal injections to stop the heart. But that’s entirely irrelevant in the context of vaccines. Potassium chloride is also present in seawater and used as a food additive, in medicine, and in fertilizers.

Water is also the same compound used to cause drownings, by the way, if we’re being dramatic.

7 Likes

Where do you think the Foreigners will be in the queue?

None. ARC number not valid :rofl:

14 Likes