Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Yes, and I am not surprised.

They have acquired the rights to distribution in the Greater China region, not to mention how much they have invested in BNT very early.

I’m not sure why the DPP is so against this still. I thought they have already thought about dropping their pro-independence stance long after they have had a seat in government.

You don’t even understand something like that, which is one of the basics of Taiwanese politics, and you criticize DPP left and right on this forum? You should read and inform yourself better before you make bold critical statements.

4 Likes

An announcement came over the loudspeakers, all people over a certain age can head to a nearby school tomorrow to get a vaccine.

Glad they’re moving it out of the hospitals. Hopefully a lot of people go for it.

Taiwan needs to offer a freebie with each jab. I’ve seen people queue for like 2 hours to get a limited edition MRT card. Offer a card or a figurie with each jab and they’ll be queuing around the corner for it.

4 Likes

Thank you. Do you have a non-English source for this, please?

1 Like

No need for any freebies as long as demand hugely outstrips supply

yes.

1 Like
1 Like

This pandemic has definitely dragged Taiwan’s racism to the surface.

It was only last year when Taiwan claimed “we’re not a racist country. We welcome anyone”

Fast-forward a year and it’s “let’s force south Asian workers into cramped dorms and treat them like garbage”

Although, Taiwan’s shoddy treatment of south Asians is sadly the norm. I knew a few–Phillipinos— who were basically at work 24/7 caring for some old bat, allowed one sunday off a month and got paid a pittance for doing so—as in something like 20,000 NT a month. I knew one who wans’t even allowed one day off a month.

Taiwan has long treated south Asians as dirt, and this pandemic is making it all surface.

7 Likes

You are the one who doesn’t understand something like that. How long have you been in Taiwan?

I supported the DPP’s 2020 run of office. Korean Fish honestly wasn’t a very viable candidate then, and maybe now too. The data indicates that. The fact is the DPP has seriously f**ked up, and is unwilling to admit to its mistakes, as I have indicated again and again it other threads. Can you honestly defend the DPP’s handling? How can you defend resisting recognizing Sinovac? How can you defend the lack of 3+11 meeting records?

By the way, I would like to see how you can defend the number of people dying and as a percentage of confirmed positive cases.

Read @The_Ghost’s post.

It has been talked here.

1 Like

According to this, Fosun is asserting they have the exclusive distribution agreement since March 2020, so it seems unlikely that any deal, whether for 30 million or for 5 million doses, would have gone through unobstructed last year.

6 Likes

They may assert what they want. But let’s call a spade a spade - Germany and the EU have shown exactly 0 interest in going against China in any aspect of life. All BNT has to do, if it wants, is scrap the contract and do a new one. Ofcourse they won’t since 1.4 billion people are way meatier than 24 million.

Unfortunately BNT can claim that since the world doesn’t recognize Taiwan as a country and definitely sticks to the 1-China policy, this deal stands. RoC is not gonna with the BNT fight.

5 Likes

The reaction Guo’s company made is very inarticulate.

2 Likes

Former VP Lien Chen and his wife have apparently skipped the line as well.

4 Likes

How I wish this was Singapore and all line skippers would get punishment of 5 canes.

2 Likes

What if one of the line skipper ends up getting serious blood clot and dies? That would be poetic

Google translation (emphasis in bold) [“Guo Dong” means Chairman Gou, fyi]:

The new crown pneumonia epidemic continues to spread, and the number of domestic vaccines is tight. The founder of Hon Hai Group, Guo Taiming, previously announced that he would strive to purchase the BNT vaccine. Currently, the application has been submitted to the Ministry of Health and Welfare through the Yongling Foundation, but the original authorization documents have been blocked until now. In this regard, Chen Shizhongjin, the commander of the Central Epidemic Command Center (12th), said that he would assist in establishing contact with BNT. In order to make things simpler, he agreed to import the Taikang Biotech “conditional” project.

In order to alleviate the domestic epidemic, Guo Taiming actively sought to purchase the BNT vaccine and submitted an application to the government through the Yongling Foundation. However, the lack of an “original authorization letter” checkpoint caused dissatisfaction and criticized the government for deliberately making things difficult. His wife, Zeng Xinying, revealed that Guo Dong has been busy buying vaccines recently, “busy in meetings and discussions, whether it is the content of documents, drug dealers, cold chain logistics, contact with original vaccines, etc.”, even sleep and sleep talks and buy Vaccine related.

In this regard, Chen Shizhong pointed out earlier that the central government will assist the private sector to establish contact with the original BNT factory. In order to keep things simple, there was a meeting to agree that Taikang Biotech would “conditionally” import the BNT vaccine in a project manner, and no longer insist on the original factory authorization. Documents, as long as there is a proof of shipment, if private units have similar possibilities in the future, the command center will try their best to provide assistance.

“ETtoday News Cloud” reported that in response to the command center’s statement, Liu Youtong, CEO of the Yongling Foundation, who also serves as the spokesperson of Guo Taiming, responded earlier, “understanding.”

3 Likes

For huge drinkers.

BNT requests EUA to provide “original authorization letter”. Taiwan requests “original authorization letter” to provide EUA. Chen decided he will give EUA first to help Guo’s company get “original authorization letter”

4 Likes

Doesn’t really matter what the weather is like when you are stuck indoors.