Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

61,511 doses were given yesterday, of which 45,199 were second doses, and 5,780 were Booster shots. 15,512,925 are now fully vaccinated which is 66.31% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/bLfYVAm_cGNmVEb21cX-Uw

4 Likes

That’s old news, the new herd immunity is 80-90%

The latest news is that herd immunity is unreachable.

Watch Forumosa get a stroke when they find out.

Keep the updates rolling.

Two months ago everyone was jockeying for scarce vaccines.

I check back and magically Taiwan has a higher vaccination rate than the USA.

“latest news”?

1 Like

Yes, how things change.

not even 90% double dosed is herd immunity anymore. Korea reimposed curfew at 9pm despite being 92% adult fully vaxed and like 81% of total population fully vaccinated. Now they go a pill, taiwan needs to get that asap.

you need to remember a lot of people in the USA have had covid and need to wait X amount of time before being eligible for a vaccine post natural covid recovery. Also a lot of people have had covid and don’t feel the need to vaccinate.

46,649 doses were given yesterday, of which 35,219 were second doses, and 6,962 were Booster shots. 15,556,503 are now fully vaccinated which is 66.50% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/C8VdCS_Z43hTgMI31BJhJg

2 Likes

So less than 5000 first shots administered. I wonder if the remaining 12% of the population (i.e. adults in Taiwan who elected to not receive any COVID vaccines) will suddenly clamor for them when Omicron enters the community. :neutral_face:

Guy

5 Likes

Time to have a third outbreak?

115,958 doses were given yesterday, of which 97,268 were second doses, and 11,249 were Booster shots. 15,663,106 are now fully vaccinated which is 66.95% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/CiTKmky4f_77NimJ7829Sg

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Digital Covid19 Vaccine Certificate (數位新冠病毒健康證明)

Even though Christmas is not celebrated to any extent in Taiwan (except by the Retail Shopping Traders), it seems the Vaccination people must have been taking a break as only 24,305 doses were given over the weekend, of which 15,650 were second doses, and 1,954 were Booster shots. 15,684,897 are now fully vaccinated which is 67.04% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/25gY0BcwlOWBPdGhM1E-Lw

3 Likes

well no-one believed me when I said Taiwan will not reach any better than 70-75 percent fully vaccinated in October without change of rules - and actually I have heard of many friends who were pushed into (2nd) vaccination by their workplace (workplaces not actually requiring vaccination).
They are doing now some desperate pushing by vaccinating people without papers/overstayers - but that will no give more than 1%.

Want higher vaccination rate - announce opening of borders and omicron incoming. Should have happened already 4 weeks ago to announce it happening by Mid January (to give everyone the time to still get vaccinated with 2 doses who is thinking about it).

Well anyhow Taiwan can watch Norway - it will be the same with omicron let loose in Taiwan. Just really should get those oldies vaccinated then open up ASAP. Pushing young people into vaccinations while old remain unvaccinated is really stupid. If it hits Taiwan it will be a disease of the +65 generation. Can just hope that Taiwan then does better and introduce restrictions only for that age group. Omicron is coming anyhow and will infect 80% at least (posing problems only for very high risk groups).

Also - since 10. October or so there are abundant doses of all vaccines available. Since over 2 months everyone who wants to be vaccinated had the chance to get it (except those staying illegally). In September I predicted 70-75% fully vaccinated tops. Actually it’s way less now. If I were in Taiwan without wanting to travel I would not have got the vaccine either (I still think only for overweight and/or above 55 years the vaccination makes clear sense - and should be mandatory for all above 60 or obese).

Oh yeah - 65-67% fully vaccinated by now depending on the metrics - with about 5% simply not getting the second shot because they stopped it for the 12-17 year olds means actually Taiwan reached 72-74% fully vaccinated (children one shot should be enough anyhow - to cover those obese children which should be the only children vaccinated in first place besides other with known risk factors)

1 Like

Those people in this “illegal” category have been welcomed to get vaccinated too—at no cost.

Guy

3 Likes

im surprised tbh, I thought it would be at 80-90%

Depends on the age range. Ironically, it is higher in the younger tiers, before 50. And drops significantly after 75, as per CECC numbers.

Someone will come up with a nice chart instead of the buried in the back CECC. numbers.

1 Like

Don’t forget that there will be a jump in the double vaccinated percentage when the 12-17 year olds get their shots. I still think we’ll end up at 80% doubled vaxxed, essentially 90% of all eligible.

Edit: That’s still a dangerous situation.

1 Like

This is the most recent I can easily find, from December 21. I’m not sure if they’re making the chart themselves from data on the CDC website, or finding the chart somewhere else. Still only 67% double-vaccinated for the 75+ group. That’s the lowest for any demographic group, except for 12-17yo, who only just now are starting the 2nd dose.

https://twitter.com/cookiebandit/status/1473348385121792001?s=20

1 Like

The numbers right now only advance because people need vaccinations because of a vaccine mandate - all people who want to be vaccinated - are vaccinated already.

And yes, 5-6% is out because it’s the 12-17 year old people of which only few are double vaccinated.
Adding them around 26-28% remain unvaccinated. That is a far stretch away from 85%-90% vaccinated rate some countries are posting but still having problems.

But yeah vaccination mainly matters for the older half of the population - they make up 99% of deaths and 95% of hospitalizations. And then for those 45-65 year old, it’s well over 80% with health problems already. So it’s vital to vaccinate +65.
For the rest the vitamin D supplementation will work out just like it does in Norway (and to lesser degrees in Sweden, Denmark and Finland - the only other countries doing wide scale supplementation) to not cause big problems.

Need to get the 65+ generation to 95% or higher fully vaccinated - then Taiwan can relax. But yeah likely they will only vaccinate if there are reasons - like compulsory vaccination or fear of open borders and announcement that on Date X the 0 covid policy will end.

1 Like