Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

If “work out” means potentially “deal with Long Covid,” then yeah sure.

I’ve seen one of my students deal with this and all its cognitive impact. It’s no joke, and I’m sorry to say your prescription for vitamin D supplementation is not enough.

Guy

the biggest study on long covid to date - showed that if you’re told you have covid (even though you did not have it) you are under bigger thread of long covid than by actually having had covid. Long Covid is real - but it’s in most cases just psychological. Media should never haved scared people into the long Covid trap.
But yeah the numbers in Taiwan on vaccination are as everyone here knows exactly the opposite way they should be. If Taiwan wants to open up - they need to get the elderly vaccinated. And it’s not about them not having had a chance yet (except the illegal category - which just gained access - and is less than 1% of population) - everyone had chance to be vaccinated already, plus most even with 100NTD voucher appeal.
Those who are not yet vaccinated - mainly will not accept vaccination without change of environment!

Taiwan had vaccines to get around 80% fully vaccinated by now - maybe even 85%. The supply was sorted since 10. October or so (and clearly since 1. October it was clear supply of vaccines is sufficient to get everyone vaccinated who wants to).

Some Long Covid patients in the illuminating and heartbreaking BBC article linked by @Brianjones in the Long Covid thread are quite upset when they are told that it’s “just psychological.”

I do agree however with your assessment of the elderly in Taiwan and their decision to not get vaccinated. I can only imagine the amount of bullsh&t they must be reading and sharing on Line to arrive at these decisions in such large numbers.

Guy

2 Likes

No one likes to be told they’re crazy.

Here is the study - so best is even if you have covid, someone tells you, you don’t have it negative test. Then the chance of you developing long covid is lower than if you don’t have covid but someone tells you that you test positive…

The findings of this cross-sectional analysis of a large, population-based French cohort suggest that persistent physical symptoms after COVID-19 infection may be associated more with the belief in having been infected with SARS-CoV-2 than with having laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection. Further research in this area should consider underlying mechanisms that may not be specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. A medical evaluation of these patients may be needed to prevent symptoms due to another disease being erroneously attributed to “long COVID.”

but keep on believing those scare mongering BBC documentaries… That is the result of over 26.000 cases!

But yes - if you have severe myocarditis (from covid or vaccination) - you will also have severe long covid - no way around it. But this is rare for healthy people (not overweigt, no diabetes, and so on). Long covid out of nowhere likely is mainly psychological (though you could have myocarditis without knowing if it’s not severe - and then give you long covid out of nowhere). Long covid is real - but it’s certainly not out of the blue from your asymptomatic infection if no-one tells you about the infection…!!!

BTW this study is a big support for simply not testing - or only test people with strong symptoms from Covid - to avoid this an other placebo problems. Everyone knows the power of placebos. However with Covid fear mongering the placebo effect alone should worsen the crisis by factor of 2… So good on Taiwan. I kinda think the danger of delta was the placebo effect only vs beta or original strain. At the beginning most people had not been scared to shit by media.

2 Likes

53,558 doses were given yesterday, of which 15,650 were second doses, and **** were Booster shots. 15,736,132 are now fully vaccinated which is 67.26% of the Total Population.

**** They have split the Booster Numbers into “Foundation Enhancer” and “Supplement” so who knows what they are playing at. Until we know I wont bother reporting them, back to the pre-booster numbers now.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/ZpFV7M6igJ3VVxamzOU4Pw

1 Like

The conceptual split I have heard in English language reports is this:

THIRD SHOT refers to full doses administered to people who are deemed to be immunocompromised. Health authorities recommend such shots to be administered 28 days after the second shot.

BOOSTER SHOT refers to half doses (in the case of Moderna) or full doses (in the case of BNT) administered to anyone 18 and over. The current interval recommended by the CECC in Taiwan is five months following the second shot.

I am unsure if the “foundational enhancer” and “supplement” language you referred to line up with this English language distinction, but I suspect it does.

Guy

3 Likes

That link just takes me to their main page. I’m curious what is being said in Chinese.

Sorry, posted wrong link I think. Here is the Vaccination one.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/tuafx1M8dIuXD5EZ40fpog

2 Likes

Thanks for that and no need to apologize. I think 追加 should just be translated as “booster.” It literally means something like “go back and add to.” This just must be the best way to write/say “booster” in Chinese. I noticed it has been the word used from the beginning of these third shots.

Someone just came up with the vaccine for ‘afterlife’ … no worries.

" With Covid-19 vaccination on most people’s minds these days, a prayer paraphernalia shop here has created handmade paper vaccines so that spirits in the afterlife can be part of the “vaccination” process too."

“‘Vaccines’ for the afterlife a hot sale during Hungry Ghost Festival”

"I want the deceased from COVID that didn’t get the vaccine to fulfil their dying wish’??? :thinking:

3 Likes

But my study shows that the level of risk to deceased people is actually infinitesimally low.

2 Likes

We should still lockdown, though, because just one dead granny dying is one too many.

1 Like

Latest CECC VAERS Notification of Adverse Events after COVID-19 Vaccination

Report #1101227.

Suspected serious adverse events after vaccination; Deaths: 1219.

Capture

1 Like

You are aware this is the vaccine in Taiwan thread right? Who is your “we,” and what do “they” have to do with “us” in Taiwan where there is no “lockdown”?

Guy

And work from home? Right before Lunar New Year?

My chances of making out with Henry Golding look better.

No weiya!

1 Like

It was a joke. Look above

3 Likes

Medigen is so unpopular that they’re giving it away. I notice they’re not sending Moderna or Pfizer…

I suppose Taiwan going from begging for vaccine donations over the summer to now giving it away (even if it’s the most unpopular kind) is a positive development, even if it’s a bit amusing.

2 Likes

:notworthy:

The silver lining.

1 Like