Corruption perception in Taiwan (2021 edition)

Not true.

6 Likes

sadly kind of is.

Agreed. Justice is difficult to obtain for Taiwanese and foreigner alike if you happen to be just a regular Joe, much like in any other country. Having said that, I did run into a judge in one case who saw fit to bring up my being a foreigner in her judgment as one of the reasons I should lose my claim; she acted as if there was something nefarious about my wanting to use Taiwan’s court system to extract money from a Taiwanese, when all I asked for is what the Labor Standards Act says any worker, Taiwanese or not, is entitled to. Against that, the other three judges I have come before have been scrupulously fair and impartial.

Where, in the courts? I’ve heard story after story of people who got equal treatment there, so, no I don’t agree.

and I have heard the opposite

My wife’s company’s lawyer believes this is true with regards to foreign companies: even frivolous claims against them are held up in court when they wouldn’t be against Taiwanese companies.

I got very fair treatment. The case against me was thrown out.

No it’s not. Taiwan is a democracy.

1 Like

I have received fair judgement. Twice, which is every time for me.

1 Like

yes taiwan is a democracy, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t corrupt.

I see Taiwan as being extremely corrupt and the power is extremely tilted into the hands of those with connections.

This happens in many places around the world, but in America for example you have a lot more power in the common work place as opposed to Taiwan where you are expected to bend over for the overseers running the circus.

shuffling things around prior to inspection would get that company sued into oblivion by employees. Here employees see everything wrong and keep their mouth shut because they know they can’t win any court case against the few people who have the justice system stacked in their favor.

I know people who had illegal contracts by their schools and they weren’t able to get anything. It is illegal in taiwan to make employees clock in early and get unpaid, my friend took his school to court over it and get ass squat. GOT NOTHING, holiday pay, early clock in pay, jack diesel shit.

1 Like

Not true, you can win and they often do. It is mostly cultural reasons that they do not whine as much.

1 Like
1 Like

If Taiwan is defined as ‘Extremely corrupt’ what are your words for China? Egypt? Congo? Italy? France?

Taiwan is the 16th least corrupt country in the world. It didn’t even cross my mind to do anything
special. I didn’t have to. I won solely on my merits and one of them, my arguments were so rock solid, I won representing myself

If your bottom tier of words include top 20 countries, how can you accurately describe the actual situation?

3 Likes

You won representing your self. I know tons of people who would say completely different things than you. TAIWAN has a lot of work to do.

Is it possible they are biased, and as a result, salty because they lost?

Do we know the details?

This is why I defer to my lawyer. He reins me in when I am about to do something stupid.

I know people who had illegal contracts by their schools and they weren’t able to get anything. It is illegal in taiwan to make employees clock in early and get unpaid, my friend took his school to court over it and get ass squat. GOT NOTHING, holiday pay, early clock in pay, jack diesel shit.

Can you cite the law and article?

the law where you can’t make people clock in early and not pay them?

2 Likes

Yes. Can you cite it?

Sometimes I think I may need your lawyer too. :slight_smile:

Guy

1 Like